Shotgun Mount for JVC gy-hm 750? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shotgun Mount for JVC gy-hm 750?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best detachable mic mount set-up for a Audio Technica 897 shotgun mic on the 750. I have a 3ft. coiled audio cable, and was looking to mount the shotgun so I can do down and dirty, run and gun interviews.

Thanks!

Mike
Mike James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shotgun Mount for JVC gy-hm 750?

How down and dirty are you talking? Because if you really want to get low tech turn your 3ft cable into a 14" cable and use the 897 as your on-camera mic instead of the stock mic. Then get the camera within two feet of the subject when you ask the questions and keep it there. That's like a really low tech way to do it and most people don't have the means or ability to shorten a 3ft cable to the right length so this might not be a good option.

The other option is to run the 897 to your second channel, strain relief the cable to the handle, and just hold the mic out there while you do the interviews.

On a side note, is your 897 being used as your normal on-camera mic or are you using the stock mic still? You should be using your 897 as the on-camera mic and just buy a cheap handheld mic to do those interviews with. Not only is the 897 a much better mic than the stocker when used on-camera but you don't want to be beating it up with run and gun interviews. A cheap handheld mic is much better for tossing around with that kind of stuff.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am going to mount the AT-897 for sure as my primary shotgun. That is why I was thinking I need some easy way to mount, and pop it off for run and gun interviews off the shoulder. I do have a Lectro system that I will be mounting with the AB plate in the back of the camera. But for those nice "nats" and interviews, its just sometimes nice to pop off the shotgun.

Thanks!

Mike
Mike James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have to agree with Ben. If you've got a Lectro receiver and a plugin xmitter, why not pick up a nice handheld and use it with the plugin. I think itll sound better. Hel an EV-RE50, Shure SM63, I think it's a Senn MD46 are all really good hh mics and not all that much. $130 to $150 give or take and you're set. I use an SM63 with the plugin, have a Lectro jacket for the xmitter and it has a belt clip on it so I always know where the mic is at. I just think it's a better option.
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Mike. Some news guys around here do what your talking about. They have their shotgun mic that they also use as their main interview mic in scrums. They just pull it off and use it. Their channel 1 audio is a wireless lave mic that they have. That way they don't need to keep switching between lav and stick mic. They use a mic clip that you would see on a mic stand to hold a stick mic. Something like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282390-REG/DPA_Microphones_UA0639_UA0639_Microphone_Clip.html
you would probably just have to look for one that will hold your shotgun mic snug enough.
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/668018-REG/Rycote_116001_InVision_Universal_Camera_Kit.html

Better pictures
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That Universal Camera Kit looks very nice. I am leaning that way, either that or the K-Teck (K-CA) Clamp adapter kit.

Thanks for all the advice!

Mike
Mike James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems