new preset white balance on HM750 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Inner Circle

new preset white balance on HM750

I was on a shoot last week with a 700 and a 750.
The lighting was a mixture of indoor and outdoor and the auto white on the 750 didn't do what I wanted.
I went into the menu to see what I could adjust and discovered that the preset temps have been (greatly) expanded from 3200 & 5600 to 2800, 3200, 3400, 4200, 4800, 5200, 5600, 6500 and 7500.
I dialed it back from the 5400 that auto white said it was to 4800 preset and it looked perfect!!
I really hope JVC offers this as a firmware update for the 700 series of camera.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: new preset white balance on HM750

Yes, that would be wonderful. Sometimes I'd like to adjust the white balance to something off from pure "white" from a white card, to achieve a color balance effect, rather than adjusting it in post. A friend of mine has a novel solution, an iPhone app which lets you paint the screen to any specified solid color, so you can pick a color on one "side" or another of "white" to fool the camera's white balance reading into getting the result you want.

But it would be much easier to pick a preset or (even better) enter in a specific temperature and view the result on an accurate monitor to be sure it's what you want.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It should be a firmware-upgrade, a really better solution is to put the Kelvin directly with up/down-button.

But I don`t think so, JVC want to sell the new one`s and not the former from the same series.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

With the introduction of the 750, the 700 is now obsolete so you have no choice unless your dealer still has some in stock.
My dealer told me that the 750 I just got today was shipped out of Japan the day before the earthquake hit otherwise I'd be looking at a very long wait for it.

Bob, WarmCards are an alternative to that iPhone app.
They're $75 at B&H so if you don't know anyone with an iPhone, they are an option.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #5
New Boot

What iPhone app are you referring to? could you give its name, please? Thanks.
David Medzorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Possibly this one?

GrayCard

I thought of doing something similar with my old HP iPAQ a few years back, but figured it wouldnt be that accurate because the screen is a reflective surface and proper grey cards are supposed to be non-reflective. Also, how does one ensure that the screen is accurately calibrated?

As the product info states " Please note, due to the physics of transmissive versus reflective light, GrayCard should only be used as a back up method for setting white balance. A physical gray card is still preferable in most cases"

As for their other product - 'LightSource' - is the iPhone/iPod display really bright enough to make that worthwhile?

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; May 3rd, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I use one of these... Plain outright the best way to white balance...

http://www.expoimaging.com/product-o...w.php?cat_id=1

Steve
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems