Gy-Hm 750 Beware scene compatibility & Pixel Fix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gy-Hm 750 Beware scene compatibility & Pixel Fix

We just purchased a 750 to match the 700 we have. Two teams working on the same video. So I thought it was a no brainer; copy the scene settings from the tried and true 700 (from the previous week of shooting) and stick it in the 750 to keep it all consistent. Nope. After trying a half dozen times, I pulled out the manual and it specifically says that scene setups are not compatible between the 750 and the 700 or 790! Okay that blows. So I had to go in and match each camera setting, menu after menu...The camera also came with a dead pixel center in the lower third. Thats when I found out that the 750's procedure for regenerating dead pixels is NOT the same as for the 700. Do at your own Risk: follow the 700 procedure UNTIL you need to hold the focus assist etc. At that point its Focus Assist, User 3, and Menu held down in that order. Try finding that bit of info out on the Sunday evening before your shoot Monday in the am! Besides that, It's a marvelous camera--I hope that JVC gets a workaround for the scene compatibility--its not a deal breaker but it does make you think twice.
Mike Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gy-Hm 750 Beware scene compatibility & Pixel Fix

Thanks for the info. I just got 2 750s that we will be doing production with. Currently don't have any dead pixels, but where can I find the pixel fix if needed?
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Mike, as a new 750 user, I'd like to say thanks very much for the heads-up on these issues.

After trying a half dozen times, I pulled out the manual and it specifically says that scene setups are not compatible between the 750 and the 700 or 790! Okay that blows.

No disagreement here :(
What was JVC thinking when they did this?
With the exception of SD recording and more white balance menu options that I mentioned recently, the 700 and 750 are virtually identical so I see no reason for this to be happening.

...where can I find the pixel fix if needed?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...-gy-hm700.html
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mike Kujbida has posted a link on his response where you can find the procedure to fix pixels on the 700. Just incorporate the instructions I provided in my post--at your own risk--I say that because I was saved by a JVC tech (God Bless You!) who actually called me on that Sunday night I mentioned and gave me the procedure--the procedure was a couple attempts at button pushes that he suggested until the Advanced Menu came up with all the options-in other words, he was sort of guessing what combo to use. He warned me that hitting the wrong set of buttons can possibly render your JVC camera a "brick."

I highly recommend that you tape the step by step procedure inside your lenses cap--and a backup copy in you JVC manual and camera bag--nothing worse than seeing pixels out on location and not having a clue how to fix.
Mike Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks kindly Mike. As a new GY-HM750 owner I will be confident in fixing dead pixels should they occur.
I owned a GY-HD111 and paid $250 for technicians to fix a dead pixel.
That dead pixel, BTW, happened after taking my camera to Europe and back by air.
Cosmic rays no doubt.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems