DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Fujinon 13 x vs Canon 14x (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/501340-fujinon-13-x-vs-canon-14x.html)

Svein Rune Skilnand October 6th, 2011 10:23 AM

Fujinon 13 x vs Canon 14x

Hi.
Does anyone know how the stock Canon 14x lens compares to the Fujinon TH 13x3,5 BRMU lens?

My reason for asking is that I have noticed some CA from the Canon lens and looking to replace it. I have spoken to JVC about this, hoping they had some kind of software to correct it. Unfortunately, he said, that this phenomenon was hard to avoid at this price point. It is a combination of small 1/3 inch chips and cost effective optics.

I have looked at the Fujinon TH 13x3,5 BRMU lens, but the dealers actually claim that the Canon probably has the better glass and want me to start looking at the HTS series from Fujinon.

I also have the PL- adaptor for my camera and I am thinking about buying PL- lenses instead. In that case I would use my EX3 for ENG work.

Any ideas?

Shaun Roemich October 6th, 2011 12:05 PM

Re: Fujinon 13 x vs Canon 14x

Hi Svein Rune. I had the opportunity to shoot with the 13x Fuji when Fujinon lent it to me for a day. I'll see if I can find the tape and upload a couple of clips to Vimeo.

I have no experience with the Canon lens but was suitably impressed with the Fuji 13 for what my opinion is worth.

Svein Rune Skilnand October 6th, 2011 03:10 PM

Hi Shaun.
That would be fantastic if you had some clips to show. I would really appreciate it. I have also been searching the web for some good deals on PL- lenses, but they are hard to come by. I was on a film set last week and looked at a camera called Arri Alexa with an Angenieux zoom lens. Now that would have been something to put on my camera.

Craig Yanagi October 10th, 2011 09:16 PM

For those of you who will be in the NYC area this week and are interested in seeing these lenses, we'll have them side-by-side at the upcoming CCW / HD World show at the Jacob Javits Convention Center this Wednesday and Thursday, October 12th and 13th.

- Craig

Chris Lawes October 12th, 2011 03:27 AM

Any more opinions on this?

Rob Stowell November 1st, 2011 10:33 PM

Just from these boards, the fujinon 13x has a great reputation. The canon 14x wasn't around for the HD100 I think, but while I understand it's an improvement on the stock fujinon 16x that shipped with the HDxxx series, I think the 13x is considerably better- on par, in picture quality, with the fujinon 17x but considerably wider (I think it's a 4?)

Antony Michael Wilson November 2nd, 2011 03:53 AM

I agree with Rob. The new bundled Canon 14x is probably better than the old stock 16x (it's hard for a lens to be much worse) but the Canon does still have many issues. In particular, I found that there was lots of CA and soft vignetting at the wide end and a loss of sharpness at the long and wide end. The 13x lens is prone to CA at all focal lengths on heavily back-lit subjects but is otherwise very, very good for the money. I haven't used the new Fuji 17x but material I have seen shot with it seems to suggest that it is better than the 13x in terms of CA on heavily back-lit subjects but still prone to bad CA at the long end. My feeling is that - if you can afford it - a combination of the Fuji 13x for close quarters and the Fuji 17x for general use would be a good solution. There are other options out there but they would be more expensive than both of these lenses combined.

Shaun Roemich January 2nd, 2012 12:52 PM

Svein Rune:

Apologies on the lateness of my reply but I figured out why I can't find the tape with the 13x Fuji lens media on it - I taped over it a couple of months ago as my tape supply is nearly depleted now.

Sorry about that!

S.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 5th, 2012 03:25 PM

Hi Shaun and thanks for your reply.

That`s ok. I am glad you tried to find it. Do you remember what your impression was overall? Do you think the price justifies the performance of the lens? I have found a second hand lens online, which is tempting. A bit hard though, when I don`t know how it performs. I know Fujinon makes good lenses, but I also remember how the stock lens used to bee on my old HD201.

You say you were impressed. May I ask in what way. Colour, sharpness, wide angle etc?

Thanks.

Shaun Roemich January 5th, 2012 06:42 PM

My impressions were that it superbly sharp for a 1/3" lens with very little, if any, noticeable chromatic aberration. Very wide, likely my go-to lens for interview style stuff if I had chosen to purchase it. Of course, I found myself "missing" the telephoto end of the 16x when I had the wide on but it was usable through the entire zoom range where as I find the stock 16x Hard to look at sometimes on high contrast edges at full telephoto. I couldn't justify the cost of the lens at full retail but would but it used if I intended on getting a lot of life out of my 1/3" cameras.

In short, if you can afford it, buy it. The stock 16x is truly a budget lens (albeit great performance AT THE PRICE)... Don't judge all Fuji lenses by the 16x5.5

Hope this helps.