DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Considering GY-HM700 but ? on Memory Card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/504658-considering-gy-hm700-but-memory-card.html)

Jeff Dean January 22nd, 2012 11:31 PM

Considering GY-HM700 but ? on Memory Card

I'm in the market for a new camera and looking at several including the HM700 with a 7X5BRMU Fujinon lens.
(I'm new to memory cards / tapeless Video cameras).

What's considered high hours (over ____) on a used camera?

Exactly what brand of SDHC memory card would be best for it?
How many minutes can you put on a 32 GB card at 1080P?

Besides using the camera as a transfer device - is there a recommended card reader?

I assume one method to backing up would be to transfer the card into my NLE. Then backup the clips from the NLE onto a Bluray Data disc? so the memory cards could be reused for the next day's shoot.

Finally how does the dual swappable card feature work? Records to one card and uses the 2nd one as backup for when the first card becomes filled or?

Would be editing in PP CS5.5 (on a PC).

Thanks.

Calvin Bellows January 23rd, 2012 12:50 AM

Re: Considering GY-HM700 but ? on Memory Card

Hey Jeff, I have an HM 700 and love it for what I do. This was my first tapeless camera and I was nervous at first but I haven't had a problem yet (fingers crossed) I use Transcend 32GB and 16 GB cards and haven't had any problems. The 32GB holds just over 110 min at 720p60 HQ. When I get home I just slide the card into the card reader on my computer and transfer the files to a Raid. I try to hold onto the cards until my project is edited but that isn't always the case. I always make sure I have the files on 2 hard drives at all times. When one card fills up it automatically starts recording on the second one. This feature is flawless. I have had many times where my card fills up and the second one starts being used. I have never had a problem with video or audio matching up in post. I use FCP but a few of my first use CS 5.5 and they don't have any issues with it. Hope this helps answer some questions.

C-Train

Jeff Dean January 23rd, 2012 07:23 PM

Thank Calvin - Saw online recently where others were recommending Transcend at well. Must be a good one!

Battle Vaughan January 23rd, 2012 11:21 PM

This is NOT a commercial message, but Best Buy has a special on SanDisk Extreme Class10 16gb cards in their ad in my Sunday paper ... bought one for $39.95. without rebate forms or anything ... just fyi...

Julius Kuziemski January 25th, 2012 02:57 AM

Been using Sandisc ever since I went full digital. Along with their card reader they get the job done.
The duel card bays mean you can keep recording. IE, both A & B slots have cards. Camera starts recording to A slot until the card is full, then automatically will switch to the B card slot. While it is still recording to B, you can open the A slot, remove the card, replace it with a fresh card, and the camera will automatically switch back to the now fresh A slot when the B is full. You can pretty much do this indefinitely.
Its a fine camera for grab & go!

Chris Harding January 25th, 2012 03:18 AM

Hi Guys

I have always been impressed with JVC and my very first ever cam was a JVC complete with a Saticon tube sensor..that's how long they have been running!!!

When I wanted to go tapeless I looked at the 700 and 750 and the price was a bit scary!!! I've been using Panasonic HMC70's and 80 for the past 3 years now but still get drawn back to JVC..especially the newer 790. I get really good images on the Panasonics and they do everything I ask of them and cost me about 1/3rd what the 790 goes for. Can any 700 series owners convince me that something like the 750 or 790 at nearly $8000 here is really 3 times as good as the panasonic??? What's so good about the JVC 700's

There are so few shoulder-mount cams within a decent price range nowdays it's hard to find one..I know the Panny's only have 1/4" chips compared to the 1/3rd chips of a 750 but what makes it so much better is it the superior glass????

Any comments from JVC owners would certainly help me make the switch!!!

Chris

Myles Williams January 26th, 2012 11:48 PM

Rather than be THAT guy, I will post a link that outlines a few things. But one that that stands out is the 13Mbps bit rate of your camera vs the 35Mbps bit rate of the JVC. Yes the lens alone puts it in another class. Chip size as you mentioned and the amount of detail for making adjustments.

But someone once told me that you use what you have until your clients ask for better images. IF your rig is working for you, keep working it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...rs-review.html

Chris Harding January 27th, 2012 03:54 AM

Hi Myles

I appreciate you sticking your neck out !! The HMC70's are long gone..I had them in 2009 ..I have HMC82's now which shoot at a more respectable 21 -24 mbps ...the trouble is that 99.99% on weddings go down to SD DVD anyway so any pristine quality goes out the window as far as bit rate is concerned.

I figured the glass also might be an influence as either available lens is a really nice piece of gear!!!

I was looking at panny's new AC-130 which is around $3600 here and the HM790 is $7900. Both have 1/3" chips and both nice glass but I's still give JVC the vote on lens quality! Trouble is that the Panasonic is not a shoulder mount camera which defeats the purpose and I would have to resort to using rigs to turn it into a shoulder mount and nothing really can replace a proper EVF!!

Chris

Don Bloom January 27th, 2012 06:46 AM

Chris,
I don't think you'd need the 790. That camera is kind of like the old HD250 with setup for studio use. Monitor, 26 pin connection etc.
Why not look at the 710 which is like the 750 which replaced the 700 but the 710 has a few less "options" on it but is considerably less money or maybe a couple of used 700s.
Don't forget the batterys and charger(s). Anton Bauer or IDX although they come with the AB plate I know a couple of guys theat switched it out for V-lok cause thats what they were already using.
It's a hard choice to make. I'm throwing it around as well. Both the AC series and the HM series have things I like and to make matters worse, I'll have to the the EX1R in there as well.
Decisions decisions.

Chris Harding January 27th, 2012 07:52 PM

Thanks Don

The fact that I'm obsessed with shoulder mounts is probably my downfall!!! That limits my choices considerably!! Yes I did also look at the EX3 (it can be used as a shoulder mount camera, unlike the EX1)

It will be interesting to see what you eventually decide on as well. I think I really have to sit down and decide if I do need new cameras or now, the current HMC82's so an awesome job so they have paid for themselves too. It's not only cameras we have to think about! I have also discovered that the HM700 series has rather expensive battery packs!! That also drives the total cost upwards.

Do I want to stay with the Pansonics that cost me just under $3000 or do I pay more and double and get the HM700 (just over $6K) or spend 3 times as much on an EX-3 ?????

You input, of course, is always very much appreciated!!

Chris

Don Bloom January 27th, 2012 10:25 PM

Chris,
The HM 700/750/790 have some advantages over what you have now. the 710 has fewer options as it were but still has advantages over the cams you use now. Price however isn't one of them and you are quite correct about batterys's. The Anton Bauer Dionic 90s which are the LiOn 90W battery of choice are down in price to $400 USD each. (When I bought mine they were $500 each) 4 of those sets you back $1600USD then a decent 2 battery "smart" charger will cost you $900. Things start to add up pretty quickly as you can see. However the advantages might be enough to make you want to change.
1) 1/3 inch
2) the 17X lens is AWESOME but I'm hearing good things about the 14X but have never used it
3) you can shoot EITHER MOV of MP4 (can't do both at once) and the MP4 files work out great with Vegas.
It is a well balanced camera especially with a wireless receiver hanging off the back. The VF on the 7XX cameras is even better the the HD200 (IMO) and the LCD works nicely for focusing.
All in all I've liked the JVC line ever since they came out with the HD100s.
Is it THE perfect camera? Of course not, no such thing but IMO dollar for dollar a very sound investment.

I'm always ready to help someone else spend their money.

Myles Williams January 27th, 2012 11:06 PM

I shoot alot of motorsports and love the 700 and are getting a 750 very soon and selling the 700(only because I can get a new 750 from a friend/vendor for SUPER cheap). With that said I too was obsessed with shoulder mounts but now after testing the AF100 for 72hrs , love the waY I was able to adapt to hand held and the shallow DOF. Anyway, point is....I would try to put yourself in a position so that if other kinds of gigs come along you are ready for needing HD footage with higher bit rates. Some clients require/request it. Being familiar with more of a manual pro camera is good too.

Don does have a point. The add ons for these cameras just add up and keep adding.

My tech table as we speak has :

JVC HM700 + 2 AB D90's.
2 Lite panel 1x1's.
2 lite panel micro pros
2 century wide angles( zoom thru and non zoom)
Sennheiser MKH 8060 short shot gun
Sennheiser G2
Sennheiser G3
Cinevate 48" slider
Hardcase, soft case,
NANO on order.

If I get a totally different camera..MOST of that will transfer.

But as you step up to the bigger/pricier rig, the "toppings" get pricier too.

Still alot less expensive than racing a Porsche so my wife doesnt mind as this generates money !

M.

Chris Harding January 28th, 2012 06:57 PM

Thanks Guys!!

What I do really like is the awesome glass and the camera does look a lot better balanced than my HMC82's (which are front heavy..even with a receiver on the back)

I haven't seen any 700 series in Perth at all but then again we are classed as the most isolated city in the world!!!

Any local guys own a 700 series camera that I can feel to see if it's a fit???

All your input is very much appreciated and it will be interesting, Don, to see exactly what cameras you end up choosing!!

Chris

Don Bloom January 28th, 2012 09:25 PM

I'm thinking of the Panasony XG2000S. I'm sure you heard of it. ;-O

I'm actually considering the HM series. The 700 or 750. I know the 700 was replaced by the 750 and they don't produce the 700 anymore but they are out there on the used market. No final decision yet but I'm looking at it pretty hard. It's either number 1 or 2 on the list. Depends on the hour of the day.

Having used the HD1XX and 2XX series I really like the camera even then and frankly was sorry I didn't get them at the time they came out. I've always enjoyed using a shoulder mount camera and the compact size of the HD/HM cams make it a joy to work with especially when compared to the Sony DSR models I used in the past.
Ahh, time will tell.

Chris Harding February 1st, 2012 05:11 AM

Hey Don

Great minds think alike..I just bought two PanaSony XG2000S's and the dealer in China assured me they were the best value for money too!! Seriously the best I can find is a 750 here at $5980 and then there is tax and duty so I'm looking at $13156 (plus agent fees of $100 and shipping too so I would be lucky to get away with a small amount of change from $14K for a pair ... Considering I paid under $6K for the HMC's it doesn't look viable from a business point of view for me...if I'm going to invest that much for bigger sensors then the Sony EX3 is probably a better bet for a little more money and have 1/2" chips!!

Admittedly I have to use a video light with the 1/4" chips but most receptions have such a low light level I think even a 3 x 1/2" chip camera would need some light!!! I have never had a light issue with the Pannys inside any Church and the HD image is pretty darn good too!!

I have to admit that my first ever cam was a JVC and from then on (WAY back in the late 80's) I have always used Panasonic .... being a Sony man for all these years I would have expected you to go the Sony route.... I never went Sony when it was time to go HD as they didn't have anything in my budget that was shoulder mount ...that's why I haven't upgraded to the AC-130 !!

It will be interesting to see what you decide on!! If you do go for the 700 series I can ask you tons of questions!!!

Chris