DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   1/3 bayonet mount adapters to nikon lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/507199-1-3-bayonet-mount-adapters-nikon-lenses.html)

Stephen Dougherty April 23rd, 2012 09:51 AM

1/3 bayonet mount adapters to nikon lenses

I have been reading up on a few of these adapters, they convert the 1/3 bayonet mount on the HM700 into a nikon (_) mount adapter. They all seem to have a 4.xx or 7.xx magnification rating and are good for telephoto or macro. has anyone used any of these before, or have some image samples? What can I expect from using one?

Finn Yarbrough April 30th, 2012 06:52 PM

Re: 1/3 bayonet mount adapters to nikon lenses

Yes! I have one and I use it on my GY-HD200. This kind of adapter is purely mechanical, and will always carry a 7.2x crop factor over what you would get with the lens on a 35mm camera. If you're using a zoom lens, you won't be able to back-focus. But other than these two factors, it works really well. Fantastic cheap telephoto solution.

Potential other downside: you will be using lenses that are probably SD, but even if they aren't, they are coated for a single chip, not a 3CCD prism. This has the potential to introduce more chromatic aberration. But, you will only be using the very canter of a big projected image, where the image is the sharpest and most CA-free, so in my experience, it kind of balances out.

Point of fact: the milimeters are all the same, if you're used to shooting with a lens built for your camera, just compare the mm 1/1. 50mm is probably on the telephoto end of your ENG lens, right, so that's the same framing you'd get with a 50mm lens built for a 35mm imager. You can get a good idea of your view-angle limitations ahead of time this way.

Stephen Dougherty May 1st, 2012 01:22 PM

Re: 1/3 bayonet mount adapters to nikon lenses

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough (Post 1730628)
Yes! I have one and I use it on my GY-HD200. This kind of adapter is purely mechanical, and will always carry a 7.2x crop factor over what you would get with the lens on a 35mm camera. If you're using a zoom lens, you won't be able to back-focus. But other than these two factors, it works really well. Fantastic cheap telephoto solution.

Potential other downside: you will be using lenses that are probably SD, but even if they aren't, they are coated for a single chip, not a 3CCD prism. This has the potential to introduce more chromatic aberration. But, you will only be using the very canter of a big projected image, where the image is the sharpest and most CA-free, so in my experience, it kind of balances out.

Point of fact: the milimeters are all the same, if you're used to shooting with a lens built for your camera, just compare the mm 1/1. 50mm is probably on the telephoto end of your ENG lens, right, so that's the same framing you'd get with a 50mm lens built for a 35mm imager. You can get a good idea of your view-angle limitations ahead of time this way.

Thanks for that great info! I got a great deal on a pair of lenses to start out using this kit. an 8mm fisheye and a 20mm Ultra-wide Nikkor lens. I can tell you, this system is GREAT. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get some different style of images from their HM or HD series cameras. They both have great image results, and the magnification is easy to work around! Im hoping to get a super telephoto lens and get some tests from that, in the meantime I will post some samples on here soon of the quality I have right now.