DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Nice Video Overview of the Upcoming 600 Series Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/511236-nice-video-overview-upcoming-600-series-cameras.html)

Tim Polster October 8th, 2012 08:18 AM

Nice Video Overview of the Upcoming 600 Series Cameras

Hello,

I found this video posted a month ago featuring Craig Y. of JVC talking about the new 600 series cameras. Thought some others might want to see.

Don Bloom October 8th, 2012 11:30 AM

Re: Nice Video Overview of the Upcoming 600 Series Cameras

This looks like something even I would be interested in. This thing looks like a camera I could be happy with.
HEY CRAIG, got any samples you want to send out!? ;-)

Chris Harding October 9th, 2012 08:48 AM

Hey Don

I see they have a 23X lens like the Panasonic AC-160 that is still giving users grief cos it has un-reliable autofocus. I wonder if the price point will be the same ...not for me as the thing that thrilled me about the 700 series was the awesome ergonomics with the shoulder mount. This camera will have to compete with the Canon XF series as well as the Panny AC series whereas in HM700's are out in a class of their own!!

Chris

Don Bloom October 9th, 2012 09:03 AM

Chris,
Panasonic...JVC...some differences.
I have always loved the HD1XX/2XX and the HM7XX series of cameras. Everytime I get to use one I smile. If only they had been 1/2 inch cameras they would be the top selling camera in the galaxy. Well maybe not but I love the form factor and the image they produce. I would hope the 600/650 would do the same.
We'll see how it plays out. Pricewise the 600 looks likes it's about $4500 USD. Should give the Canons a run. Time will tell.

Chris Harding October 9th, 2012 06:49 PM

Hey Don

Such a pity they are not the same form factor as the 700's ...there are so many handhelds out there now soon every man and his dog will own one!!!

I guess than manufacturers design for the general market who prefer the slightly smaller form of a handheld ..I guess at least you can toss this into a Kata bag a lot easier than an HM750!!

Chris

Don Bloom October 9th, 2012 08:07 PM

Yeah, I agree but I've gotten so used to the smaller form factor not to mention I'd have to go out and get battries. The Dionic 90s are still about $400 each and a 4 position charger is about $1400 new. Not sure I could justify it BUT it is still a thought.
I'd probably be better off just staying in bed and not spending any money but you know how it goes.

Maybe a 600 and a couple of HMC150s as a B and C camera. Less money pretty much same image. HMMMM, could be. We'll see.

Lee Mullen October 9th, 2012 09:58 PM

Any news about a release date worldwide?

Shaun Roemich October 10th, 2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1757758)
Any news about a release date worldwide?

Well, the 6xx series camera that appeared at NAB this year was HAND CARRIED onto the plane and was in pieces mere days before so...

Had a chance to sit and chat with Craig Yanagi at the <insert ultra secret NAB HQ reference here> and there is NO DOUBT that he is excited about this release.

I was intrigued when I got to play with the prototype. There were issues (that I won't go into here as I'm POSITIVE they were software related and WILL be at least somewhat sorted out before street delivery) but all in all, a serious challenger in the market, IF 1/3" still works for your market.

Told Craig if they produced a 1/2" version, I'd buy three of them. Making sum total of all 1/2" versions sold worldwide... 3!

Glen Vandermolen October 12th, 2012 04:49 PM

What intrigues me most about this camera is the dual recording capability - it can do XDCAM and AVCHD. That is VERY useful to me. I have a client who works in XDCAM and I'd love to be able to give them the files they prefer.
Plus, it has F11 sensitivity, which if I'm not mistaken, is better than the 1/2" EX1/3s.

Tim Polster October 13th, 2012 08:27 AM

Yes, it will be interesting to see how clean the image is considering F11 @ 2000 lux is quite an accomplishment for a 1/3" HD camera. I hope some reviews surface soon.

Glen Vandermolen October 14th, 2012 08:05 AM

Does anyone know if the HM600's XDCAM video can be viewed on a computer with Sony's XDCAM viewing program?

Phill Pendleton October 15th, 2012 07:39 PM

Looks good but I prefer the form factor of the 700's. Has anyone heard of a new 700/750?

George Kilroy October 18th, 2012 06:12 AM

As a HM700 user I hope that JVC will not be ditching that line in favour of the 600. As Don Bloom mentioned if the 700 series had been based on 2/3" or even 1/2" chip it would have had no competition in it's range. The only thing that disappointed me in the 700 was the very poor low light performance, in big part due to the smaller chip.

When I bought the 700 it was a toss up with the EX1 (just before the 3 came out) and the deciding factor for me was the ergonomics; the 'natural' feel on my shoulder and ability to hold steady something I found difficult with the EX style of body.

Chris Harding October 19th, 2012 10:45 PM

Hi George

The trend seems to be with handhelds now and I guess it's a business decision..if you sell 5 million handhelds and only 200,000 shoulder mounts worldwide over a period worldwide you obviously concentrate on the big sellers.

I would have thought that 1/3" chips would be OK at weddings??? I survive (with an on-camera light) with 1/4" chips but those are 3MOS not CCD...the newer backlit 1/4.7" chips that Sony and Pansonic use on their new cameras actually outperform the 1/3" 3MOS and kill the CCD's...The new Panny AC-90 has a clean image with open iris and 24db gain...Technology is moving foward and getting smaller too!! My older cameras with 1/4" CCD's were a lot worse in low light than the 3MOS ones and I would suspect that the 600 uses the new technology too!!

It's becoming a struggle to find a decent SM cam!!! Maybe we need to adapt but I'm reluctant and I love the form factor of a cam on my shoulder!! If you look now even TV stations are starting to use smaller cameras....easier to get around when you need footage of a pop star surrounded by screaming fans!

Chris

Craig Yanagi October 20th, 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1757459)
This looks like something even I would be interested in. This thing looks like a camera I could be happy with.
HEY CRAIG, got any samples you want to send out!? ;-)

Don, I think I can arrange that. It would be a great service to our community if you can take it for a spin.

- Craig