DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY-HM700 pros cons - would you buy again? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/513117-gy-hm700-pros-cons-would-you-buy-again.html)

LeVan Moxley January 3rd, 2013 01:28 PM

GY-HM700 pros cons - would you buy again?

I am looking to possibly purchase a couple of 700's for shooting a television program(church service). I was hoping to get some pro and con input from current and/or previous owners/users of the 700. I think the 750 replaced the 700?? Any huge differences between the two cameras. My current cameras are 10 year old GY-DV500's. They have 1/2" ccd sensors. The 700 and 750 have 1/3" ccd sensors. Obviously 1/2" is a better sensor because of it's size. Should I be concerned in dropping down to a 1/3" sensor or will the image on a current 1/3" sensor be just a s good as or superior to a 10 year old DV500? I have read of the low light issues with some of the 1/3" ccd sensors. We very rarely shoot in low light, but we will on occasion. Should the low light issues be a deal breaker? Thanks for everyone's help.

Don Bloom January 3rd, 2013 02:36 PM

Re: GY-HM700 pros cons - would you buy again?

The 750 did not replace the 700. The 710 did. As for the 700 being better or worse than the 500, IMO the 700 even with the smaller sensors is better. First, it's easier to handle and 2nd the DSP is way better.
I think the 700 is a good choice. They are pretty reasonable price wise and produce a really good image.
As for low light, I never felt the 500 was that great. Even the 5000 was IMO not great. I don't feel JVC hit the low light mark until the 5100 but in saying that the 700 can use gain up to about 9 or even 12 depending on the setup and produce a quality image. Of course a lot depends on what the use is. IMAG or recording for delivery to DVD or web?
If IMAG some grain might show depending on the projection system, if going to DVD or web, it should be just fine.
Of course, YMMV but if were me, I grab up the 700s.

Les Wilson January 3rd, 2013 03:31 PM

I assume your switcher is composite or sdi standard def. since the 700 is an HD camera, you are getting a theoretical improved IQ from the camera's inboard scaling. I'd check that out ahead of time as some cameras are better at it than others.

LeVan Moxley January 3rd, 2013 04:41 PM

[I assume your switcher is composite or sdi standard def. since the 700 is an HD camera]

We don't currently have a switcher. We have been editing the program in post for quite some time. We run Avid Media Composer. We are also going to buy a switcher. HD/SDI out of the cameras into the switcher and HD/SDI out of the switcher into a capture card into our media computer.

[Of course a lot depends on what the use is. IMAG or recording for delivery to DVD or web? ]

We have been needing to go to the HD world for a while. As usual, it's about budget. We air a weekly TV program locally and same program goes up weekly also to a network on DirecTV. We don't stream live, and I hope we never do, but we do post video to the website. Thanks for your recommendations.

Don Bloom January 3rd, 2013 10:11 PM

something else to think about. Power! If you're running 3 stud (anton Bauer type) battery's you'll be fine as the standard mount on the 700 series is Anton Bauer although you can replace that with a V lock plate. A friend of mine has a 700 and uses V lok since that's what his HD100 had.

LeVan Moxley January 4th, 2013 09:54 AM

Thanks Don for helping me cover all the bases. We probably won't purchase any batteries right now. The 700's will mainly be used in our sanctuary to shoot for our TV program. They will rarely come off of the tripods. We have a Sony , FX1, I think?, that we use for various shoots in and out of the church. I know that we will be able to use our existing power supplies from the 500's with the 700's. We bought batteries for our 500's and rarely used them. They still work. I need to check to see if we can use those batteries with the 700's. Do you know the major differences between the 700, 710, and the 750. I think the 710 and 750 are current models and the 700 is about 2 years old. The reason I am asking more about the 700 is because there are still a few new/old stock 700's floating around with some pretty good pricing. So if I can get 700's significantly cheaper than a 710 or 750 and the quality is close to the same, that's what I will probably go with.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 4th, 2013 11:11 AM

Hi LeVan.

See this link for comparison between the current models.

ProHD Camcorder Differences

The 710 has replaced the 700, but I wonder if the 700 actually had more recording formats to choose from, such as 720p50 and/ or 720p60.

Don Bloom January 4th, 2013 11:25 AM

The biggest difference between the 700 and the 710 and 750 is the 710 and 750 reord in 4:2:2 color space and the 700 didn't. I know off hand there are a few other differences but that I believe is the biggest. I think for what you need the cams for that it wouldn't make any difference be it 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

Since you don't need power for the camera IMO I think your best value for the dollar spent is the 700. The only thing I would like to see on them is the 17 lens. I think the 14 is too short and not as sharp and the old 16 isn't as good as the 14 but in any case I think you'd be pretty happy with the 700.

Glen Vandermolen January 5th, 2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1771137)
The biggest difference between the 700 and the 710 and 750 is the 710 and 750 reord in 4:2:2 color space and the 700 didn't. I know off hand there are a few other differences but that I believe is the biggest. I think for what you need the cams for that it wouldn't make any difference be it 4:2:2 or 4:2:0..

You mean recorded to an external recorder? i'm pretty sure all the JVCs record internally in 4:2:0.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 6th, 2013 04:50 AM

Don. I also belive that the XDCam EX codec has a 4:2:0 colour space when recording to 35mbps. However I think the output from the HD- SDI is 4:2:2. This is helpful going to an external recorder or live videoswitcher.

The XDCam EX codec is so good, however, it is hard to tell the difference with the naked eye. I have done a side by side test with an EX1 and the HPX250 by Panasonic ( same shoot ) and I couldn`t tell the codec apart. Of course not a scientific test, but the AVC Intra didn`t stand out to the point where I suddenly decided to change my workflow. ( I use the EX1R ).

I believe exposure has more to do with the image than just the codec.

Don Bloom January 6th, 2013 06:03 AM

Yep you're both right. For some reason I thought the 750 and 790 did 4:2:2. My bad. I will make sure to check my sources more closely.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 6th, 2013 07:09 AM

That`s ok, Don. Nothing would thrill me more than if these cameras recorded 4:2:2 internally.

Don Bloom February 1st, 2013 09:27 PM

To revive this a bit...Early in the month I was all set to purchase the new Sony NEX-EA50. Just as I was going aboard the cruise ship I was going to be on for a delightful in the Carribbean, I got an email from my friend about his 700 with V-lok batterys, charger, tripod plate and the Fuji17X lens. He was looking to sell it to get something else that would fit his needs a bit better. Knowing how he takes care of his gear and knowing that I would be happiest with that rig in lieu of the Sony, I snapped it up. So even though it's a slightly dated camera, it still offers everything I need for the majority of the work I'm doing from this point onward (have just about gotten out of the wedding business 100%) so I am not only talking the talk but walking the walk about the 700. :-) the JVC HD1XX/2XX and the HM7XX series camera have alwqays been on my radar and I have used them but never owned them although I did own the GY-DV5000 and 5100. I loved both those cameras. I love the 700. The only thing IMO that could make it better would be if it was a 1/2 inch instead of 1/3rd. As the Rolling Stones once said, "you can't always get what you want"!
O|O
\--/

Chris Harding February 5th, 2013 06:24 AM

Hey Don

Let us know when the 700 arrives in your hands and your comments! On the EA-50 I have still found that if you use it like a video camera and not a DSLR the stock lens works great so no more primes for me..I like it just the way it is and I have it nicely balanced too (Not as good as your 700 though!!)

Chris

Don Bloom February 5th, 2013 07:07 AM

Hi Chris,
Got it on Saturday. Been making it my own as it were since. Getting the balance right, setting up the power for lighting, getting comfy with the rig. I have to say, the only thing I'm disappointed with (and I knew it going in) is the viewfinder. It's small and a bit dark but then I am comparing it to the VFs on full sized Sonys and the 116VF from my old full sized JVCs. BIG, bright and BIG! I'm getting used to the VF and the LCD is great to work with when on a tripod. No complaints from me on this one. Happy happy! ;-)