DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   What are your wishes for a Super35 camera from JVC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/513270-what-your-wishes-super35-camera-jvc.html)

Svein Rune Skilnand January 7th, 2013 02:01 PM

What are your wishes for a Super35 camera from JVC

Hi.
This may be a dumb idea, and Chris please feel free to delete it if it is, but I have been thinking about what I miss with the Super35 cameras on the market today.

JVC seems to be interested and listening to the ideas from filmmakers and videographers, so maybe this thread could be a realistic input to a great manufacturer to create a great Super 35 camera at an affordable price.

I hope I won`t be alone on this topic.

These are some of my wishes:

- HM700 series- formfactor ( saves time, money and frustration on buying a big and expensive shouldermounted rig )
- tophandle as in HM- series
- viewfinder, HM- series could improve
- superb big LCD- screen, this is good enough already
- quick lock VCT14 mount, quick on and off for documentary style shooting
- focus assist, blue
- dual headphones output
- HD-SDI
- Built in ND- filters
- XDCam EX codec is fine by me
- SDHC/ SDXC cards compatibility
- optional servo zoomlens with no lightdrop
- great low light sensitivity
- cold shoe for mounting a light
- mounting point for wireless mic

If this camera was on the market, I would look no further. I feel this would fill a gap in todays lineup of cameras for filmmakers who do many different jobs. My EX1R is good for many jobs, my FS100 is good for different jobs.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Glen Vandermolen January 7th, 2013 02:59 PM

Re: What are your wishes for a Super35 camera from JVC

I like the way you think, Svein.

I would add the possibility of a 50mbps, 4:2:2 codec, but that might necessitate going to CF cards, or something. Maybe not.

Add timecode in/out, genlock, HDMI and you're set.
As for a lens mount, perhaps Canon since they seem to be the most popular.'
JVC did build that prototype 4K cam with a large sensor and a Nikon mount. I wonder if they'll ever release it?

Michael Warren January 7th, 2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand (Post 1771711)
If this camera was on the market, I would look no further.

Then They wouldn't be doing their job, which is to hold enough back so they can sell the next model.

I'd love a camera with the features you describe, too, although my perfect compromise would be something like a 600/650 in a 700 series form factor (except with the 600 lens permanently attached) and 50Mb 4:2:2 at 50p/60p

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 7th, 2013 10:21 PM

I'd love to see a C300 inside a JVC body, at less than $10,000.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 9th, 2013 02:52 PM

Thanks for your input, guys.

Glen, wouldn`t you think that it should be possible to use SDXC cards? I belive they would be fast enough for recording 50mbps. That sure would make transition from the previous HM- series much easier. Same memorycards, same batteries and so on. If it is possible, that is the way I hope they would go.

As for timecode and genlock, they sure are nice features to have.

Yes, I searched the web for the camera you mentioned. Looked like an HM100 didn`t it? Maybe it just was a protype never being built because of the FS100 and AF100. I don`t know. A bit strange, there doesn`t seem to be much info on it.

As for lensmount I am not sure actually. It would be nice to have an allround lensmount to free up ones options. The biggest investment we can make, is propably the glass. Canon lenses are fantastic but I don`t like that they are all electronically controlled. But EF- mount could be a good option. The Samyang lenses seem nice. I saw a review on them on Alister Chapman`s website. He seemed happy with them. Investing in PL- glass would probably be the best long term option, but a complete set is still expensive. I believe Carl Zeiss is making an EF mount- series based on the CP2s. Or the other way around. That could be nice.

Michael. Yes that would be nice as cheaper alternative. Something like the new Sony, NEXEA50 is it?

Sareesh. That would be an HM150 on stereoids....That formfactor sure is nice for travelling small.

Bo Smith May 15th, 2013 09:38 PM

All of the above, plus ability to use 2/3" lenses with an internal crop mode. One camera to rule them all!!

Chris Medico May 16th, 2013 05:46 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the first 3-chip s35 camera come out.

William Hohauser May 16th, 2013 08:19 PM

I record 50Mbps on SDHC cards in my GH3 camera all the time.

I would like to see two things beyond what has been mentioned:

First, a true par-focal fast 10 to 1 full sensor zoom.

Second, a drive slot for SSD or hard drives for ProRes recording.

Bill Bruner May 18th, 2013 09:26 AM

I'm with William H. 50mbps is already here. But I would pay a lot of money for a GH3-type MFT mount camera with a parfocal servo zoom that recorded to 8-bit 50mbps .MOV, .MTS and as well as 10-bit 220mbps 422 ProRes (with optional CinemaDNG RAW with lossless compression).

It would have to have a lot of the other things on Svein's list (e.g., shoulder mount, ND filters, focus assist, HD-SDI and have XLR mic inputs as well). Sort of a "hybrid" GH3/EA-50/Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

Broadcast? No problem. Cinema? No problem.

I can dream, can't I?

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Jim Michael May 18th, 2013 09:34 AM

Definitely an unfilled niche for a hardened field camera, either shoulder mount or a sensible modular design that permits a balanced shoulder mount configuration. With genlock.