JVC HM600 Sample Footage/Thoughts - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: JVC HM600 Sample Footage/Thoughts

Was there any clear temperature changes?
Or did the 600 stand in the sun before sun down?
Petter Flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warren View Post
Did you need to open the aperture as the recording progressed?
Oh, of course. It just occurred to me - I had auto iris on. The aperture would have opened up as the sky got darker, making the DoF shallower.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I just got my camera as well, I shot some footage in near dark at a conference, I had to gain all the way to -18 to get anything visible, yes it was noisy, but completely useable!

I noticed the same thing about the door on the SD cards, however I havn't felt any creeks in the handle. The screen was solid and could just be friction sounds. The internal mic picks up anything you do on the body, and I expected this so I have an NTG-2 hooked up. I hope to possibly get some good stock b-roll of Germany tomorrow so I will try to post some of that.

I have to play with the detail settings as well as the skin detail options, I don't fully understand them yet.

here is my clip, I dubbed in the audio again, but left some of my shotgun audio back in for ambience.

Tim Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Gauthier View Post
I just got my camera as well, I shot some footage in near dark at a conference, I had to gain all the way to -18 to get anything visible, yes it was noisy, but completely useable!

I noticed the same thing about the door on the SD cards, however I havn't felt any creeks in the handle. The screen was solid and could just be friction sounds. The internal mic picks up anything you do on the body, and I expected this so I have an NTG-2 hooked up. I hope to possibly get some good stock b-roll of Germany tomorrow so I will try to post some of that.

I have to play with the detail settings as well as the skin detail options, I don't fully understand them yet.

here is my clip, I dubbed in the audio again, but left some of my shotgun audio back in for ambience.

Rachelle's Dance on Vimeo
Hm I'm confused by this. If I use 18dB gain the image is a LOT noisier than yours. So bad that I wouldn't use it. Pretty sure mine is noisier even at 6dB... Could there be an issue with my camera?

Might do some more low light testing tonight.
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #20
New Boot

My understanding is that the noise was addressed by the firmware update released in December. Not having one of these yet, I don't know what version number it is.

Hope this helps.

- Alan
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:

Rachelle's Dance on Vimeo
Goosepimpels so nice from whom is the music?
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #22
Site Sponsor: UsedAV.com

Tim the footage looks great. We have shot some demo footage with our Camera and our customers who purchased these from us have been very pleased.
Scott Kase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Some more footage I put together. Shot entirely on the HM600.

Note that some of the shots are colour graded.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Jody, can you post your videos of the GY-HM600 to Vimeo? I hate Youtube, their compression is so bad, It makes it hard to evaluate any video. Or if there is a place we could download a short file?

Love the range on that lens!
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kolenda View Post
Jody, can you post your videos of the GY-HM600 to Vimeo? I hate Youtube, their compression is so bad, It makes it hard to evaluate any video. Or if there is a place we could download a short file?

Love the range on that lens!
Yep not a problem, I'll get a copy up onto Vimeo.

Edit:
Here's a 12mbit .mp4:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61lxxwxmgg...Main_Final.mp4

Would recommend downloading the file as the player seems to compress the video.

Last edited by Jody Arnott; January 31st, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Here's some more low light footage. Definitely better than I first thought, it's quite usable at 0dB. I'll try and get some 6dB tests up too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icrlzv36w...20Test%202.mp4

My expectations were obviously too high at first. As I mentioned, this is my first professional video camera aside from the XA10 so I wasn't sure what to expect.

From what I can tell, the JVC tries to maintain as much detail as possible in low light as possible, while the XA10 sacrifices detail to reduce noise and produce a cleaner image. I think that's why I was so confused as to why the HM600 was so noisy.

The first low light tests can be found here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...0-arrived.html but honestly, I'd ignore them.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I got out for a day trip to Prague and filmed this. I accidentally turned the LowLUX mode on and so some of the footage is grainy. You can also see how the focus started to search a few times. This was not obvious on the LCD screen, so I just need to be aware of it when using the camera.

Tim Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Tim. And thanks for making the original 1080p available for download.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
I got out for a day trip to Prague and filmed this. I accidentally turned the LowLUX mode on and so some of the footage is grainy. You can also see how the focus started to search a few times. This was not obvious on the LCD screen, so I just need to be aware of it when using the camera.

Prague Day trip on Vimeo
Thanks for the video.

I've had some issues with the focus searching too. I don't trust the auto focus at all.

I was doing some testing the other day, and sometimes even when the camera has good focus, it keeps hunting.

Hopefully this is an issue JVC can look into.
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:

Prague Day trip on Vimeo
Hey TIm, Nice video. Good choice of subject matter. I have watched it a few times the lens looks pretty good.
In a few parts, especially of the cathedral, it looks like there is some wavering of the video, like there was a heat wave in front of the lens. DO you see what I'm seeing? What ere the Gain settings? and all the other also.

Thanks,
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems