DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Which Sensor! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/513726-sensor.html)

Leon Kolenda January 24th, 2013 03:02 AM

Which Sensor!

Man I'm having a hard time making a decision on what camera to get. I'm really wanting to see how the image quality of the HM-600 in low light, I'm a Swiss army guy when it comes to shooting. I do a little of everything. I shoot some night clubs, bars, Weddings, Real Estate-Indoor/Exterior, Love Nature, and video landscapes,

Currently I have a Sony VG-20, and a Nex-7 both are APS-C. I'm liking the VG20, but the Nex-7 just overheats to easy, been using it as a B-cam to the VG20. I don't want to shoot a DSLR. So I'm thinking about making a complete change, Selling the Nex-7 and the VG20, getting either a GY-HM600 and a Panny GH3.

What I think I need to do is sort out the sensors, I have been researching many cams, getting crazy on doing it. Man, Full Frame, APS-C, Super 35, 3-Chip 1/3rd.Can't afford a 3 Chip 1/2. I liked the idea of having both the same sensor like I have now. I love the GY HM600's lens, ND in the cam, Timelapse Shooting, No changing of lens's, My VG20 is not bad in Low light. What to do?

I kind of like the Sony NEX-EA50UH Camcorder with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens-E-mount
I also like the Sony NEX-FS100U Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder
then there is the Sony NEX-VG900 Full-Frame Interchangeable Lens Camcorder

Crazy right now figuring what to get.

Jody Arnott January 24th, 2013 05:05 AM

Re: Which Sensor!

Have a look at my HM600 thread for some low light footage:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...0-arrived.html

I've also got a sample footage thread if you have a look in the GY-HM forum.

I've got some more low light footage coming in the next few days as my first test was in pretty bad lighting so it might not have been very fair on the camera :-)

Hope that helps. It's a great "everything" camera.

Chris Harding January 24th, 2013 06:13 AM

Hi Leon

If the HM600 had arrived in an HM750 casing I think I would have grabbed too but I really don't like the form factor as I do tons of handheld. Panasonic had nothing left for me so the EA-50 was my only choice..What a stunning camera it is..really nice to use and very little to complain about..if you use it like a video camera and forget about the APS-C sensor it STILL gives a great picture ....Best choice I made in years ...Still is a pity JVC never updated the HM750.

I guess I'm now a traitor after being a Panny person for 22 years but time marches on!! The EA-50 is a lot of camera for the price and you get the best of both worlds!

Chris

Michael Warren January 24th, 2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1774995)
Panasonic had nothing left for me so the EA-50 was my only choice..What a stunning camera it is..really nice to use and very little to complain about..if you use it like a video camera and forget about the APS-C sensor it STILL gives a great picture ....Best choice I made in years ...

This sounds promising. I'd written off even considering the EA50 as I'm concerned about the shallow DOF causing problems for run and gun. Have you posted any in depth comments about it anywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I found your posts here. Reading now...

Tim Gauthier January 28th, 2013 07:37 PM

This is very low light, I posted on the sample footage thread, but for ease here it is again.

More samples to come.

Leon Kolenda January 29th, 2013 11:55 PM

Hey TIm,

Thanks for posting the samples. Is it me or does this video look soft or slightly out of focus, or is this just the nature of the sensor in low light?

Tim Gauthier January 30th, 2013 12:18 AM

It does look soft and out of focus, It could be slightly bad focus pull as I was still getting used to the focus assist. However I suspect it is partially to due with the extremely low light as well.