I need some JVC GY-HM750 SDI capture advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: I need some JVC GY-HM750 SDI capture advice

One thing to consider is also archiving and storage space. And of course the end product. What does your client want? Most of the time I shoot XDCam EX at 35mbps. I feel this is a great balance between image quality, price and archiving without having massive data to move around or work with.

I did try a Panasonic HPX250 once, recording to AVC Intra, but honestly I couldn`t tell the difference between recordings from that camera and an EX1. Of course I knew which was which but considering price and storage I landed on XDCam EX. I use my Samurai when I need higher bitrates based on my clients needs or productions that are a bit more demanding.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #17
New Boot

For simple production, the internal capture is normally fine. But anything requiring high detail and motion (chroma keying, sports, high contrast outdoor shots, etc.), I find the detail lacking internally. As I said before, even bumping up to 100Mbps MJPEG produces much better PQ.

Got our Hyperdeck ordered, should arrive next week. Can't wait to test it out.
Mike Squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #18
Major Player

I have been very happy recording to the XDCam EX codec at 35 mbps. I used to shoot HDV and since switching this has been a huge step up. So far I have shot two documentaries for national TV and I am going into postproduction with my third, later this month.

Last edited by Svein Rune Skilnand; April 11th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Major Player

So anyone have any comparisons between HDV/XDCAM-EX vs live captured 4.2.2 samples from the same Camera?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems