HD-SDI output problem on the HM750 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

HD-SDI output problem on the HM750

I am sitting here today with a GY-HM750 and I cannot get an HD-SDI output signal from the camera no matter what I do. I have tried connecting the camera to a JVC HD SDI monitor and an Alphatron Viewfinder and the camera will not send the signal. I have set the menu to output HD-SDI but no luck.

Any ideas? I am thinking there is some setting in the menu blocking the signal.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: HD-SDI output problem on the HM750

What is your record setting and what is the HD-SDI set to output? Many monitors can't support non-standard HD-SDI resolutions, in your case resolutions OTHER than 720P50 and 1080i50.

If you are trying to output progressive 1080 material, you may need to set the HD-SDI output to Psf, if the HM750 supports it. (I don't have any experience with the HM7xx series personally).

Last edited by Shaun Roemich; April 12th, 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Clear up comment about "standard" HD resolutions for HD-SDI
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Shaun.
My recording format is set to 1280x720p50.

I know my monitor supports these formats, because connecting my EX1R at 1280x720p50 the picture shows up just fine. Even using the same cable. The same goes for 1080 formats. The monitor shows on screen what format it is receiving.

I am not sure if I am able to control what comes out of the camera. Maybe that is just the problem right there. Going into the A/V output meny I can choose composite, component, HD-SDI or SD/SDI.
Attached Thumbnails
HD-SDI output problem on the HM750-img_1961.jpg  
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Svein,
I might be wrong but IIRC go into the AV menu (pictured) and switch the top menu item (component/composite) to OFF making sure that the HD/SDI is switched to where you have it showing in the picture, to HD/SDI. Honestly I haven't had to go out to anything for a while and I'm a bit rusty but it seems to me that the last time I did that on my 700 I had to set it up the way I described.
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Svein, I've had this issue periodically too, as recent as last night (twice!!) during the shooting of a play.
The first time was when we were getting set up before the play started and the second time was when we were were getting ready to record act 2 (we run on battery so we power down during intermission).
I have one HM-700 and two HM-750s hooked up to a Newtek Tricaster via HD-SDI cable which records at 1920x1080 @60i. Show output is viewed on an HD-SDI monitor.
The only way I could fix it was to power the camera down, wait a moment and then power back up again.
I reported this problem here some time time ago and no one had any solutions.
My A/V screen settings are identical to yours.
FYI, when I'm shooting single camera, I shoot in 1440x1080 @60i and this is what all the cameras are set to.
I'd love to have someone from JVC jump in here and offer a suggestion for a cure.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Don. I tried that. That was my initial thought. But doesn`t work unfortunately.

Mike. I am beginning to suspect that there may be some production problems/ faults in the SDI ports on some of the HM- series, as you are experiencing almost the same as me. You are lucky, though. You are getting a signal sometimes....

I have e-mailed JVC and they are taking the camera in to have a look at it. At the same time they will be upgrading my attached KA-MR100G SxS recorder to the latest firmware. That was their suggestion, so this tells me that JVC are serious about their customers.

Thanks for your feedback, to all of you. I will let you know how it works out. If however the problem is a faulty SDI- cable I will never let you know.....

Seriously, though, I have tried 3 different cables and none are working.

Mike. Out of curiosity, may I ask why you are shooting at 1440x1080i? I believe this is an HDV2 standard at 25 mbps?
Attached Thumbnails
HD-SDI output problem on the HM750-img_1962.jpg  
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Svein, the really frustrating thing for me is that this is the second camera that this has started happening to as both of my 750s have now experienced it. The 700 has been fine - so far.

I don't know about HDV but XDCAM ClipBrowser says "MPEG2 HDLong 35 Mbps.

The bulk of my work still ends up on DVD so I'm more comfortable shooting interlaced, not progressive.
I know I'll have to make the switch one day though. With any luck, I'll be retired by then (4 more years) and can stop worrying about what the latest "codec of the week" is :)
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Trustee

On my last shoot with the JVC 750 we had problems going SDI out to a Tricaster and a quick power down, power on resolved this problem every time. Hope you find a solution.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Major Player

Mike.
I am sorry to hear that. However, it just makes my suspicion stronger. Maybe JVC has had a faulty production batch or there is something interfering with the output signals on some of the HM- series? Are you able to output the component signal? I`ll be trying that today on my camera.

I didn`t know that 1440x1080i on the JVC was 35 mbps. Interesting. Shooting at that frame size with my old EX1 those clips would show up as HDV2 in FCP at 25 mbps. HDV1 is a progressive standard supported by JVC at 19mbps.

I did try shooting a wedding once at 1920x1080i thinking that would yield the best result going to DVD and I was a bit disappointed. To many odd artifacts I found.

I shoot all my productions for broadcast, web or DVD at 720p50 and I have never looked back. I find these images not only easier to work with, but also more pleasing to my eye. I am also experimenting shooting at 1080p25.

I believe the JVC HM series are natively progressive so I would expect that to give the best results. On your camera might I suggest you shoot some 720p60 test footage and see what you think? I don`t think you would be disappointed. The workflow is the same.

Simon. When you powered down your camera, how long did it take before you powered it up again? I have tried that and also disconnecting the battery, hoping it was just a hangup. So far, no luck.
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
What is your record setting and what is the HD-SDI set to output? Many monitors can't support non-standard HD-SDI resolutions, in your case resolutions OTHER than 720P50 and 1080i50.

If you are trying to output progressive 1080 material, you may need to set the HD-SDI output to Psf, if the HM750 supports it. (I don't have any experience with the HM7xx series personally).
Shaun. Thanks for correcting. Late last night I sat awake thinking what resolutions are standard, and still came to the same conclusion as you.

I belive that Psf is a standard used by Canon back from the XLH1 series, that are not truly progressive. I think.
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

PsF is writing progressive frames into an interlaced stream in a way that they can be played back to look progressive but satisfy the interlacing requirements.
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Trustee

The camera was powered down then up. Now when i think of this we were running a RF kit on the camera and this was causing us grief. Also we where shooting 1920 1080i.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

It's apparent to me that the HM-750 has a problem and I repeat my statement that it would be nice to have someone from JVC come on here and offer a solution.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Major Player

Today I finally received my RMA number from the dealer, so I`ll be sending the camera back on monday. IŽll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks to all who tried to offer me a solution. That is why I appreciate this forum so much. Kind help from nice people.
Old April 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Svein, I hope that they are able to tell you what the problem was and offer a cure.
On a related note, I was talking to my dealer yesterday and he gave me two contacts (one from JVC Canada and the other a service guy).
I will be contacting them about our concerns and will let the group know if they have any suggestions/recommendations to offer for this rather strange problem.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems