DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Fujinon 18x4.2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/517207-fujinon-18x4-2-a.html)

Scott Berrington June 15th, 2013 07:42 AM

Fujinon 18x4.2

Does anyone have an opinion about how the Fujinon 18x4.2 compares to the Canon 14x4.4 in terms of image quality? I know the Fujinon is much more expensive and has better servo control...but does it make better images, especially when it comes to CA.

Don Bloom June 15th, 2013 10:03 AM

Re: Fujinon 18x4.2

Hey Scott,
How are you?
Well I have never used the 18 but I own the Fuji 17 on my HM700 and IMHO comparing that to the Canon 14 (I have used one on another 700) is no comparison. The 17 is again IMO way better all around. I can only guess that the 18 is just as good. No scientific proof but.....:-)
BTW, did I tell you I had the LCOS lens on my VF fixed by someone other than JVC for far less money? What a pleasure to be able to look thru the VF and see the scene without cloudiness!
Take Care

Scott Berrington June 15th, 2013 06:55 PM

Hi Don,

Great to hear you're seeing things more clearly;)

I know Allen Roberts at the BBC compared the Fujinon 18x to the Fujinon 17x when he tested the Panasonic HPX301 and said that the 18x had better resolution and less CA...which for 3 times the price, it should!

I've got a line on an 18x for a good price, but not sure if the money would be well spent...

Don Bloom June 15th, 2013 08:17 PM

Well it could be worth it if you need the extra throw. I don't remember the exact figures on it (heck I can't even remember the numbers for my own lens) but if the 18 is that much better than the 17 and the 17 is better than the 14 it just might be worth the cash especially if you can get it for the right price.
Kind of reminds me of my GY-DV5000 with the Canon 16. When I went to the Canon 19 it was like a whole new world and the 16 was like Day and night compared to the 14 they offered. The 19 was some extra cash but so worth it in the long run.
If you get it let me know.

Joachim Claus June 17th, 2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Berrington (Post 1800415)
Does anyone have an opinion about how the Fujinon 18x4.2 compares to the Canon 14x4.4 in terms of image quality? I know the Fujinon is much more expensive and has better servo control...but does it make better images, especially when it comes to CA.

I use the Fujinon 18x4.2 since a number of years. It is a great lens, especially with "quick zoom" to control focus, and its excellent wide angle area. I cannot compare it with Canon 14x4, as my camera came with a Fujinon 14x?, which I replaced immediately. The Fujinon 18x4.2 still has some CA, but much less than the original lens. CA is visible especially with full zoom at vertical high-contrast changes, swuch as white window frames. But it is not very annoing.

Joachim

Svein Rune Skilnand June 17th, 2013 12:07 PM

Hi Scott.
I find myself in the same position. I want to replace the Canon 14X on my HM750 and I have been looking at the Fujinon TH13x3.5 BRMU, the Fujinon XT20SX4.7BRM and the Fujinon HTs18x4.2BRM.

Upon asking a well known retailer this was their answer: "My immediate answer is that all of the lenses are broadcast level lenses and they all would be high quality. But let me take a moment and review the lenses for a moment. TH13X35BRM is a wide angle that does look discontinued -
But the two zoom models are available and will go down to 1.4. These are broadcast level lenses models and I do not think you will have any sharpness issues."

This was their answer on the chat line. They said they would look into the lenses for me a little more via e- mail so I am awaiting their response.

And this was the answer from Fujinon Europe: "The TH13x is not more produced. I cannot supply you this lens. The HTS18x is a real broadcast lens with a high quality not like TH13x which is just prof. quality. Therefore the quality difference between the lenses is big, the price as well."

Joachim. I am a little surprised to hear that you are experiencing CA with such an expensive lens. I wonder if this has something to do with the nature of the 1/3 inch chip size. What camera are you using?

Svein Rune Skilnand June 18th, 2013 12:59 AM

This was the answer I received this morning: "All of these lenses, including the 14x Canon KT14x4.4KRSJ, are superb lenses for whatever you shoot. One is not clearly better in image quality over the other.

However, lenses can have different looks. I suggest that if possible, rent or try out the lenses and see which one you like.

The issue you are having with your 14x Canon KT14x4.4KRSJ may signify that it needs to be adjusted or repaired."

The issues I am having is that I do not feel that the Canon lens is as good in high contrast areas as I would expect. It does suffer from CA. And this is a brand new lens recently supplied by JVC as my other Canon lens was defect. However, I am surprised to hear the retailer say that comparing these lenses, one is not clearly better in image quality over the other. In my opinion there has to be a difference considering the price.

But as of right now I am a little confused.

Joachim Claus June 18th, 2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand (Post 1800710)
Joachim. I am a little surprised to hear that you are experiencing CA with such an expensive lens. I wonder if this has something to do with the nature of the 1/3 inch chip size. What camera are you using?

I use it with a JVC-GY HM700. The remaining CA is acceptable. I am not sure, whether it is created by the lens or even by the prism block of the Camcorder. I spoke to Fujinon experts here in Germany, and the guy said, that even when the HTs 18x4.2 BRM is a high quality HD-lens, there will still be little CA visible at the zoom ends.

Joachim

Scott Berrington June 18th, 2013 08:12 PM

Gentlemen, thanks for your input, it really should be a simple answer...pay more, get more(quality). That's what I'm hoping for as the Fujinon 18x is on it's way to me.

My biggest issue with the Canon 14x is the severe CA in high contrast situations at the wide end of the lens. I tend to use the lens at the wide end a lot when going hand-held and it's very frustrating to see the purple and green fringing in the corners of the frame...very distracting. Also, I worked in broadcasting for many years and I'm spoiled by the high quality 2/3" lenses with fast zoom servo controls...which the 14x does not have.

I will report on the new lens as soon as possible. I may even do some basic testing and post the results...fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Berrington June 22nd, 2013 03:27 PM

Did my first shoot with the new Fujinon lens...can't say for sure that images looked any better as I had to give the cards to the client, but I can say that the lens was an absolute treat to use! It felt every bit as nice as any high quality 2/3" lens I've ever used...and I've shot with some very expensive glass! The iris ring allows for much finer adjustment of exposure and the speed of the servo makes shooting much quicker.

The lens is heavier than the Canon 14x, so the balance isn't quite as good...but the extra weight helps stabalize the camera and I feel that overall I was able to get better shots. The quality feel of the lens just seems to inspire confidence...the camera feels like a very expensive piece of kit!

I'm really happy with the Fujinon and after only one gig I'd say that it was a very good purchase...more to come.

Scott

Svein Rune Skilnand June 23rd, 2013 02:54 AM

Thanks Joachim. It seems the HTs is top of the line of 1/3" lenses from Fujinon. A local dealer here told me that it is common to see some CA with 1/3" cameras. If this is the case it would be nice if JVC would offer CA compensation in a future firmware update as the HPX301 by Panasonic does.

Scott. Thanks for the update. I am about to purchase the HTs18x myself tomorrow. I have been offered a very good price so I guess it doesn`t come any better than that.

Scott Berrington June 23rd, 2013 04:50 AM

Svein, you will be very happy with the lens, it's a pleasure to use. I went out in the garden and got a few shots of flowers yesterday and I'm really happy with the images. The Fujinon seems to give a slightly different colour saturation compared to the Canon...not sure how to describe it, but it did seem more natural, especially the greens.

A very quickly edited sample shot at 720 60p and rendered in 720 30p.

https://vimeo.com/user2958620/videos

Scott

Paul Anderegg July 6th, 2013 06:14 PM

I've only used a 790 with the 18x once before, and never with a 14x, but I can tell you the CA seemed to be in line with the highest quality 2/3" SD EFP lenses I have, like the Canon J22ex7.6, if not slightly better

Paul