Any GYHM600 Tips you would like to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old September 28th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any GYHM600 Tips you would like to share

My HM600 arrives on Monday so I would like to ask if any of you HM600 or 650 owners have any good tips on setting it up that you wish you knew when you first acquired your camera.

I remember when I got my Sony Z5 it took me a while to get everything just right, don't get me wrong I will be doing a load of my own tests but I just thought there may be a few really handy tips that you picked up that may save me a few headaches.
Alan Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any GYHM600 Tips you would like to share

I've had my HM600 since January so I know a lot about it.. But I can't think of any "tips" off the top of my head. If you have anything specific you want to know, ask away ;)
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm trying to think of some too but the camera is so cooperative I can't come up with any yet.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I was just wondering what you set your temps/colours as I assume the default is a bit poor. Also what button assignments you are using.

I have not had the chance yet to do any filming am still digesting the manual when I get a hour or so free but I will be out with it this weekend and will be making adjutments to the colour temp and setting as well as setting up the buttons.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have been editing footage from the HM600 with delivered footage from a Sony HD camera overseas. I have found that the HM600 has better color with the defaults settings but the sharpness is less. You might experiment with uping the sharpness in camera although I have been using sharpening filters while editing and that looks good.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah I read somewhere that the picture is not that sharp but I must say the footage I have seen looks great. One thing that puzzled me today was that after searching the box there is no warranty card, the seller told me that JVC don't give you a warranty card but just use the invoice date as they have a record of the sale.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah I've noticed the footage isn't overly sharp. Apparently keeping the aperture around f5.6 is the sweet spot for that lens. I tend to add a bit of sharpening in my NLE which helps a bit too.

I wonder if it's a codec issue or the lens. I'd be interested to see some samples from the camera that have been recorded uncompressed to an external recorder.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Finally got to do a couple of hours filming today and must say I love the camera, it just seems to look much better than the Z5 stuff I used to shoot, especially skin tones.

There are a couple of things like the inability to use the rocker zoom as well as the ring zoom without having to flick a switch.

I also have trouble using the LCD in daylight, I have the backlight on high but it's not very bright. I also had trouble doing a tight focus on a yellow flower, it ended up with the stalk in perfect focus and the flower slightly fuzzy, I was in manual and using the LCD so maybe it was bad filming due to the poor LCD visibility. Maybe I should try peaking.

I noticed the colour was a bit washed out so I will have to make a few adjustments, I miss the picture profiles from the Z5.

Overall though I am very impressed with the quality, it's a nice light camera, easy to hold, has an awesome lens and indoors the large LCD is brilliant.
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Angel View Post
Finally got to do a couple of hours filming today and must say I love the camera, it just seems to look much better than the Z5 stuff I used to shoot, especially skin tones.

There are a couple of things like the inability to use the rocker zoom as well as the ring zoom without having to flick a switch.

I also have trouble using the LCD in daylight, I have the backlight on high but it's not very bright. I also had trouble doing a tight focus on a yellow flower, it ended up with the stalk in perfect focus and the flower slightly fuzzy, I was in manual and using the LCD so maybe it was bad filming due to the poor LCD visibility. Maybe I should try peaking.

I noticed the colour was a bit washed out so I will have to make a few adjustments, I miss the picture profiles from the Z5.

Overall though I am very impressed with the quality, it's a nice light camera, easy to hold, has an awesome lens and indoors the large LCD is brilliant.
I also had issues with the LCD being hard to see in daylight, so I bought this:
Hoodman H-400 Hood H-400 B&H Photo Video

Fits perfectly, I wouldn't leave home without it now.

The viewfinder is good too, but I find it's too small to use for fine-tuning focus. Great for framing up shots though.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just picked a Hoodman up, £17 and worth every penny, thanks for the heads up.

I am working my way through the manual, finding the focus assist very good as the manual focus is not as easy as my Z5, or maybe I am getting old and my eyesight is not as good ;)

I am up to white balance but I can't seem to find an option that will allow me to change the white balance on the fly. What I mean is that when I had the Z5 I had a little wheel that I could manually adjust to add warmth or cold to the picture by simply turning the dial -7 to +7 I found this very useful.
Alan Angel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems