DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Focusing problems due to old firmware? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/520194-focusing-problems-due-old-firmware.html)

Peter Brinkman November 21st, 2013 04:02 AM

Focusing problems due to old firmware?

Hi,

I'm training some journalists at the moment who are working with the 650. I notice a lot of focusing problems. It's hard to see if things are sharp even with peaking on. The camera's are still on V0102. Will the latest firmware help to see things sharper?

TIA

Jody Arnott November 21st, 2013 08:07 PM

Re: Focusing problems due to old firmware?

I find the camera difficult to focus with too. The new firmware doesn't help. I really wish it had an expanded/magnified focus feature.

Peaking is the best method I've found. And generally the depth of field is so deep, everything is in focus anyway.

John Kazas November 22nd, 2013 02:02 AM

The 2.06 firmware has Expanded focus help. In Menu, User Switch Set you can assign Expanded Focus in any User button and magnifies the Image x 2.

Jody Arnott November 24th, 2013 12:27 AM

Thank you! I'm not surprised I didn't notice this - it really is hidden away in the menu.

This is going to make life a whole lot easier.

David Fox November 26th, 2013 09:04 AM

I bought my GY-HM600E only a couple of months back and was surprised to just discover it was running on v0105 firmware.

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places, there doesn't seem to be a well documented history of each firmware update, or any details and user info about the enhancements or bug fixes.

Having registered the product with JVC, I thought I might get an email to advise of updates, but sadly not, I discovered it was available on this forum.

I do remember reading somewhere that v1.xx to v2.xx had quite a significant number of added features, but who would know.

Jody Arnott November 26th, 2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Fox (Post 1822191)
I bought my GY-HM600E only a couple of months back and was surprised to just discover it was running on v0105 firmware.

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places, there doesn't seem to be a well documented history of each firmware update, or any details and user info about the enhancements or bug fixes.

Having registered the product with JVC, I thought I might get an email to advise of updates, but sadly not, I discovered it was available on this forum.

I do remember reading somewhere that v1.xx to v2.xx had quite a significant number of added features, but who would know.

I believe this was the v2 update:

Improve Focus Ring sensitivity near WIDE end.
Improve One Push Iris performance
Improve dynamic blemish compensation function
Improve Auto Focus performance
Change factory default setting of SHUTTER to OFF
Improve Audio Delay parameters
Improve performance on recharging"

Peter Brinkman November 28th, 2013 07:56 AM

The camera's do have the newest firmware now. I think push autofocus works quicker now and peaking looks better now in the lcd/vf. And expanded focus is a nice tool to have to.

Adalberto Lopez July 27th, 2014 05:44 PM

I noticed that in my recent upgrade to v3.0 on the 650 I began having focusing problems.

It is most noticeable when I focus on a wide angle, the image will be soft yet when I press the push auto focus button the image does in fact become sharper.

Anyone else have this issue?