Gy-hm600 vs gy-hm850 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Gy-hm600 vs gy-hm850

How does the HM 600 compare to the HM 850 in image quality and low light? I am thinking of getting a 600 but I may hold out for a 850.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Gy-hm600 vs gy-hm850

Hi Randy

I was also toying with the idea. Just remember that the 600 is a handheld camera and 850 is shoulder mount. I think you might like an 850 as the new Fujinon 20X lens has autofocus. Sensors are different and from what I have seen the footage looks pretty good.

The only thing that really annoys me is the fact that JVC don't supply batteries or charger and for events you will need an extra battery. Due to the fact that they use very pricey battery packs just bear in mind that a couple of batteries and a charger can very easily add $1000 to the cost so it becomes quite an expensive purchase compared to other cameras.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Chris,
Have you seen the deal going on now! I bought one JVC is offering $1,200 rebate I got one for $3000 US!
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Surely that was the 600 series not the 850?? I would want a shoulder mount and the 850 here is $8500 before batteries and charger which would add another $1000 to the price!!

Chris
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Yeah it was the 600, I bought one havent tried it yet. Teh 23X optical zoom and low light pulled me in plus that deal. I used to be all about shoulder mount and believe me if I had the money I would be looking at the 850. I already have Anton/Bauer stuff for that but I have started to appreciate what the hand helds have to offer.
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Randy

Surely that was the 600 series not the 850?? I would want a shoulder mount and the 850 here is $8500 before batteries and charger which would add another $1000 to the price!!

Chris
I use this shoulder mount for my HM600: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841304-REG/CameraRibbon_RIG_QR_QR_Shoulder_Rig_Camera.html
It's an inexpensive, simple and comfortable way to hold the camera. I personally don't think the 850 is worth the money (for my purposes) so the 600 + the mount is a great combination.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

If I had spare cash yes, I would grab a couple of 850's ..even with a classy shoulder mount you still have the 600 way out in front of you (like the EA-50 so it's front heavy! The 850 has a large amount of camera behind the shoulder pad so it's balanced like an ENG camera and very few cameras have a balanced mount!

The only thing I don't like is the EVF ...the EA-50 has spoilt me with the big screen just like the Sony EX-3 ..I got so tired looking down a tunnel at a tiny 1/2" LCD ... My old Panny HMC82's also had the LCD/Loupe configuration and it's so much better to shoot with. When I had the Panny AC-130's I actually built my own rigs and put a Hoodman loupe on the LCD cos I hated the tiny viewfinder.

Hope you are finding the C100 to your liking???

Chris
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Trustee

I have shoulder mounts littering my garage from $100 to $700 they do all work in certain situations but most of the time id rather go with a monopod with legs.
Old October 25th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Jody

If I had spare cash yes, I would grab a couple of 850's ..even with a classy shoulder mount you still have the 600 way out in front of you (like the EA-50 so it's front heavy! The 850 has a large amount of camera behind the shoulder pad so it's balanced like an ENG camera and very few cameras have a balanced mount!

The only thing I don't like is the EVF ...the EA-50 has spoilt me with the big screen just like the Sony EX-3 ..I got so tired looking down a tunnel at a tiny 1/2" LCD ... My old Panny HMC82's also had the LCD/Loupe configuration and it's so much better to shoot with. When I had the Panny AC-130's I actually built my own rigs and put a Hoodman loupe on the LCD cos I hated the tiny viewfinder.

Hope you are finding the C100 to your liking???

Chris
You're right, after using the loupe on the EA50, no other LCD screen or EVF is up to standard! The HM600's EVF is pretty good though. It's big enough to focus with, unlike the C100's EVF which is terrible.

And yes, I'm loving my C100 :)
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The EVF on the 8XX series is basically the same as the 7XX series and I can tell you from experience in low light situations you're gonna need the brightness and peaking knobs pretty much full on.
The EVF is small and dark compared to so many other VFs I've had the fun of using in my life. Even the 116 on the big JVCs (no longer made I don't think) I'm talking about the GY-DV5000/5100 cameras the VF really wasn't great and going to the better one (the 116) which cost a bunch of bucks it was better but still no where near as good as the old Sony VFs. Man I miss those. BIG, bright, accurate.
Anyway, the EVFs on the HM series of JVC work you just need to get used to the smaller size and darker view.
Just a heads up-IF you have a 7XX or 8XX series JVC and the image in the EVF seems to be split or dark on one part of it have the LCOS checked by a competent repair shop. The LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicone) is a screen in the path of the EVF that sometimes deteriorates and can make you go nuts when you look thru the EVF. I had mine replaced on my 700 and it cost somewhere around $230 or $240 although I will admit my repair guy gave me a break on labor.
Just an FYI and a heads up.
I still have my 700 and although I'm hardly shooting anymore I do love the camera and I've looked at the 8XX series and IF I was still doing the amount of work I used to, I'd invest in one for sure.
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #11
Major Player

@ Jody,

You can't compare a bracket vs a shoulder mount camera.
It's all about ergonomics. In a run and gun shoot, the JVC shoulder camera's are brilliant to use.
Simply because the buttons are so accessable by feeling - not having to look- is a deal breaker.
And they kept these buttons at the same position since the HD100.
The extra weight of a shoulder camera with batteries, gives also a more steady image.
Having a real viewfinder to look through is very different.
The main difference is having choices to mount ENG lenses vs turning a few rings on a fixed lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I use this shoulder mount for my HM600: CameraRibbon QR Shoulder Rig Camera Support RIG QR B&H Photo

It's an inexpensive, simple and comfortable way to hold the camera. I personally don't think the 850 is worth the money (for my purposes) so the 600 + the mount is a great combination.
Old October 27th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I agree too Marc

I had my AC-130 Panasonics on rigs I made myself to perfection and the cameras were very front heavy. With the 700 and 800 series you can plonk it on your shoulder and it's almost balanced despite the extra weight of the 850. My Sony EA-50's are the same with the shoulder pad at the back not in the middle so with a big lens on the front your arms are dead in 10 minutes ..I however get over the problem with a sprung rod ENG rig that drops into a waist belt and is ball head coupled both top and bottom so I don't have any front end weight at all.

It takes a lot more than a simple rig to turn a handheld into a shoulder mount ENG style camera!

Chris
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Trustee

ive bought a bunch of shoulder mounts over the years some were ok some werent. the biggest problem has always been putting them on a tripod for me I go on and off a tripod often. The only one I would consider now is one I dont have the guts to buy:) ST-7J Cameras SupportĀ* - ST-7JP
cant get it in the states but it looks like it would be the closest thing to having a real shoulder mount camera.
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I saw those being used on the Sony EX-3 which has the same sort of EVF as my EA-50's on the side so they would work fine but how do you manage to use the adapter with a 600 or 650 .... Unless I'm looking at it wrong the back mounted EVF is under the handle or is it offset??

I seriously don't think that any shoulder mount "frame" suits the camera style that has the EVF sticking out the rear of the camera .. just too much of the camera is in front of your eye!
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #15
Trustee

IF you look there are a few different general models ST-7 and 7 JP the difference is the one for the EX 3 is straight the jp has a indentation to offset the viewfinder for your panasonic AG-hmc 150s, 30s or JVC 600s etc.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems