DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How to import AVCHD without gaps? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/528477-how-import-avchd-without-gaps.html)

Pete Cofrancesco May 20th, 2015 06:28 PM

How to import AVCHD without gaps?

I filmed in a long continuous video in AVCHD. A client trying to import in Vegas 8 is getting audio gaps between clips that were split because of the 2gb limit. I downloaded JVC clip management software but it looks as if it will only import mp4. Of course there is no documentation on their software. I'm going to call support tomorrow but I thought someone could shed some light on things.

Roger Gunkel May 21st, 2015 04:52 AM

Re: How to import AVCHD without gaps?

AVCHD is technically MP4, but in a different container with a different audio codec and higher compression than basic MP4. It usually has the .M2ts file extension. The limitation with the file sizes is usually 4gb or just under for system files and to avoid the gaps, you need to use the video download software that came with the camera, so that all the accompanying file information is copied with the video and audio. Without that, each clip is isolated from the preceding one and the editing software will not be able to seamlessly stitch them.

If you just drag and drop, it will be fine for short clips, but where the file size limit is reached you will get the gaps. I had the same with my Panasonic cams when I dragged and dropped until I used Panasonic's own software.

Roger

Jeff Pulera May 21st, 2015 08:11 AM

Hi Pete,

Not a Vegas user unfortunately, but I did see a post about this in recent months and the reply was that it was possible to avoid the gaps. In general, it is best to NOT use any clip management software that came with the camera.

For Premiere, the idea is to copy the ENTIRE memory card contents to a hard drive folder, not just the .mp4 files. This is because there is metadata or intelligence to the folder structure. Then in Premiere, import using Media Browser, and NO GAPS. In fact, the group of "spanned clips" will import into Premiere as one single, long clip.

So perhaps if you copy the entire card to drive, then try importing in Vegas it will then work? Oh, just realized you have Vegas 8 which is maybe several years old? That can be an issue. I'm guessing that the more current versions can handle this just fine now with improved coding to handle newer video formats more smoothly. Time to upgrade?

Thanks

Mike Kujbida May 21st, 2015 10:35 AM

Pete, I grabbed this suggestion from the Sony Vegas forum. Good luck.

If your client is somewhat computer savvy, tell him/her to try this method.

Do this in a DOS command prompt window:

copy /b file1.mts + file2.mts + file3.mts MyVideo.mts
(use as many of the + file#.mts as needed)

Of course, use the actual file names in place of the "file1.mts", etc.

This will create a combined file, and if this works, it'll load onto the timeline gaplessly.

Ron Evans May 21st, 2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1887180)
Hi Pete,
... In general, it is best to NOT use any clip management software that came with the camera.

Thanks

I find this difficult to believe and for sure if you are using a Sony camera use the Sony software. Not sure about other manufacturers but I would think they know how to transfer the files their cameras produce. For Sony consumer cameras use PlayMemories that will transfer all the data needed and join files correctly into a m2ts file. Any other data like GPS will also be transferred and archived with the files so that the calendar view in PlayMemories works correctly too. Depending on the camera it will also have all the camera data too. For the Sony NX series I prefer Content Management Utility 2.0. Discontinued now but better than the current Browser product which I agree is not very good.

Ron Evans

Jeff Pulera May 21st, 2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1887197)
I find this difficult to believe and for sure if you are using a Sony camera use the Sony software. Not sure about other manufacturers but I would think they know how to transfer the files their cameras produce. For Sony consumer cameras use PlayMemories that will transfer all the data needed and join files correctly into a m2ts file. Any other data like GPS will also be transferred and archived with the files so that the calendar view in PlayMemories works correctly too. Depending on the camera it will also have all the camera data too. For the Sony NX series I prefer Content Management Utility 2.0. Discontinued now but better than the current Browser product which I agree is not very good.

Ron Evans

Hi Ron,

I made that statement from the angle of working with Premiere Pro - it will work with almost any footage natively without any modifications, so in that case no need/no reason to mess with it at all.

Thanks

Ron Evans May 21st, 2015 03:00 PM

I think that Vegas and Edius will also work that way too. The advantage of using the Sony software for Sony cameras with PlayMemories is that all the other data is stored in PlayMemories archive. Very useful for family videos where they can be searched by date etc. Backed up to a directory with the transfer date etc.

Ron Evans

Mike Kujbida May 21st, 2015 03:15 PM

Unfortunately Vegas 8 can't do what others here have suggested (copying from the card) as it doesn't have that feature (called Device Explorer). This was added in Pro 9. Looking for the appropriate camera software is still the best bet.

Pete Cofrancesco May 21st, 2015 04:34 PM

JVC support wasn't that knowledgeable. He told me what I already suspected update to a newer version of Vegas.

He said the clip manager was an old outdated utility they left up on their site. He made it seem it was unreasonable to expect JVC to maintain software to import video from their camera. I expect all the latest editing software imports it but just seems like a lazy approach.

I found a thread on Vegas forum with a dos hack to join the clips. RE: Fix gap between 2 clips of same movie - Sony Vegas Movie Studio Forum