What makes a camcorder a news camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old September 19th, 2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What makes a camcorder a news camera?

I'm shopping for a general purpose camcorder and come across the JVC GY-HM620.

Why is it called a "mobile news camera"? How is it different from a general purpose camcorder?
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: What makes a camcorder a news camera?

Hi Peter,

To understand the HM620, you have to consider it along with its sibling, the HM660.

The HM660 is referred to as a "mobile news camera" because it has the ability to stream HD video live over IP direct to a television news station or a mobile production truck. Anybody can buy it, but it was made for JVC's primary customers in the broadcast television news market such as the Sinclair Broadcast Group.*

The HM660 is "mobile news" because it also includes a return audio function over IP, which allows a remote producer to talk to the local crew off-air, through back-channel audio.

So the HM620 is pretty much identical to the HM660, except it doesn't have the live streaming capability. It still falls under the "mobile news" category, but sure, you could use it as a general-purpose video camcorder. In fact, a lot of people do just that.

Have you seen my Buyer's Guide for this and other JVC ProHD and 4KCAM camcorders? It has a lot of this type of info, plus links to brochures, user manuals, and more. Check it out at:

Buyer’s Guide: JVC Professional 4KCAM and ProHD Camcorders at DV Info Net

Hope this helps!

---------------------------------------------------

* in fact, JVC camcorders provided to Sinclair have a secret Acquisition Authenticity Mode switch hidden inside, which allow them to be toggled between "real news" and "fake news."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If the 620 is anything like it's older brother the 600 of which I own two, and you don't need the streaming capabilities, you'll have a really dependable all purpose HD camera. The image is great right out of the camera.
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

Oh wow, from over here in Oz I had no idea about the Sinclair Group and their AAM capabilities. Then I found this.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems