New JVC Camcorder at IBC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old September 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
And, does it include a tape transport?
If they want it to wear the official HDV logo it has to have either a mini-dv or full size dv cassette transport. But I'm guessing that may not happen here.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

It has a ProHD label so I guess JVC can do whatever it likes. I really think it is tapeless because that gives it a "different from Sony" marketing niche.

I think it's been clear since HDV that Sony and JVC feel comfortable -- which is critical in Japan -- working together. IMHO the original Beta vs VHS battle indicated that both companies feel they are leaders in technology -- while everyone else is second string.

My experience of JVC in Japan and Asia is very different than here in the USA. The USA took very quickly to Sony Trinitron TVs while Asia went for JVC audio equipment. Then when S-VHS came out -- it failed in the USA, but was the norm in Japan. You can't believe the monster editing VTRs JVC built for the Japanese consumer. Essentially pro VTRs in gold colored boxes. About $3000 each! Plus $500 for an edit controller.

Sony finally responded with DVE boxes and edit controllers in the early `90s, but America was switching to computers and almost none of their wonderful equipment came to the USA. Just like today -- BD recorders are sold in Japan for recording HDTV, but none of these get to the USA.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

Mysterious? Sounds like the JVC staff at NAB 2003 with the HD10. My friends went there specifically to see it, but they had very little info and the footage shot appeared to be an afterthought.

heath
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #19
Major Player

well if it's JVC's new XHG1/XHA1

then that's a good thing, if it has the same imager as the 110 - 250 series, then it's the perfect B camera, especially as when you kit out the 251 for example, and you got matte box and drdh100 etc, it's quite a long beast, and tricky to use in confined spaces, if you had the 'jetpak' then you could timecode lock etc it'd be a treat, hope they have with SDI as well so then you'd have the SDI monitoring and can use this like the XDR. If they go a step further and have interchangeable lenses like the new Sony, then we could share lenses with out existing cameras!
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #20
Major Player

JVC was not sold to Kenwood but it was merger: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...g-kenwood.html

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Major Player

I hope this is a real product by JVC. There is certainly very little information about it.

I will never understand the reasoning to keep new product releases of this type a total secret.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #22
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
I hope this is a real product by JVC. There is certainly very little information about it.

I will never understand the reasoning to keep new product releases of this type a total secret.
It's been in the works for awhile. I expected it would be announced for shipping at IBC. So this looks like it will either be a surprise in the fall of 2008 -- or it's for NAB 2009.

If it's really the HD10 box -- and its really 3 CCD -- then they fit the whole optical block into the space of a single 1/3-inch CCD. However, the "3 CCD" label could be a fake-out.

I'd be very happy with a single SONY EXMOR CMOS chip. A 4 megapixels with Bayer filter delivers a true 1280x720 image. EZ to clock at 48, 50, and 60Hz.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #23
New Boot

This looks good

As an HD7 user the flip out screen appears to be about the same size as the HD7 as does the lens hood, focus ring and lens barrel mounted stereo mic. Switches on left side of lens appear to be an on/off ND filter, three position gain, a zoom/focus for the single ring, focus assist as per HD7 and others I can only guess at.

Rear photos shows more HD7 similarities including battery position, rear bottom flaps to expose input/output plugs, rec and on/off photo/video switch. Only thing I don't see that I would miss are handle mounted rec and zoom controls. Handle appears to be removable.

No idea what that extra cable on right side is, and the large viewfinder looks to tilt up.

Bottom line being I will wait for this before upgrading from my HD7. If it has some kind of OIS or EIS that actually works and has low lite along the lines of even just the Sony 12 then this is my next cam. The fact it has a real zoom rocker, two sd slots is very cool and if it really does shoot 720/60p I will soil myself.

The fact it will be small is perfect for me as I run & gun for upwards of 14 hours a day every weekend and the thoughts of having to go to something the size of a big Sony or Canon is not one I cherish, and has been a large reason why I have stayed with my HD7. It's not perfect, but nothing is. My 7 has served me very well and made me a lot of money.

I also hope it is ccd/TOD not cmos/avchd as right now I love editing native TOD files in Edius.

Larry Pfister
Horsepower Heaven Videos
Horsepower Heaven Homepage
Larry Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #24
New Boot

Newsdetails: Film-TV-Video
Martin Kravagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kravagna View Post
Thanks for the link, I couldn't read it, but did see some good photos.

It looks to me like this will be a very interesting "lower level" Prosumer range camera. I say this in comparing it to another new tapeless Prosumer camera, the Panasonic HMC-150 ($3,499) which has a lot more features.

I bet this will be a $2,999 USD or lower price point camera.

Features that appear to be "lower level" Prosumer

1. The ND switch has an on/off position. Better than nothing, but at least 2 or 3 positions are needed.

2. The single ring on the lens barrel apparently is both the zoom and focus as there is a switch that says zoom/focus. There is a zoom rocker switch on top, so you could leave this on focus all the time. The HD-1/HD-10 at least had zoom & focus on the lens barrel.

3. No iris ring as far as I can see.

4. Same built in mic as on the HD-1. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Why waste money on a built-in mic, but this mic is very poor especially compared to an XH-A1. I know, I have a HD-1.

If the price is right, this will be a nice camera. Above $3,000USD, there are many better options. We will see. Im gonna get a HMC-150 to play with in the meantime.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #26
Major Player

Mac Video has posted a video interview with Semir Nouri, Product Manager for JVC Europe... Mostly it's about JVC adapting SxS BUT the start of the video is all about this camera MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - JVC adopt SxS and show off surprise professional palmcorder

Last edited by Theodore McNeil; October 9th, 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #27
Regular Crew

A crude translation of a page on the camera is:

Translation result for http://www.film-tv-video.de/newsdetail.html?&uid=37487&no_cache=1

It should be interesting to see the JVC Booth at the upcoming DV Expo in LA November 5 - 6. I wonder if they'll have anything more to say or show about this camera or if we have to wait until NAB 2009?

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Diaz View Post
It should be interesting to see the JVC Booth at the upcoming DV Expo in LA November 5 - 6. I wonder if they'll have anything more to say or show about this camera or if we have to wait until NAB 2009?
I don't know if this adds anything, but the JVC booth at HD Expo in Burbank had the camera.

I talk to an assistant sales or marketing director from the New Jersey office. He was taking "wishlist" requests from people about the camera.

He did say the "guide" model for the camera was the Canon XH-A1, and he said the JVC camera was planned to meet and in many cases exceed the specs of the A1. If that refers to mechanical controls and the ability to use scene files as well as electronic specs, I don't know.

He specifically asked me if I was happy with the idea of recording on SDHC cards. I said yes, but this seemed to be something being considered.

I specifically said I was looking for a small camera to match to my HD110, and he said the new camera was suppose to shoot all the JVC ProHD formats plus 1080i. (However, he did not specifically say anything about 720p60.)

I don't know if both SD slots are for recording video, or if one might be for scene files, etc. I also didn't hear as to whether there was internal memory or not. It would be great if there were 72 gb as suggested above. That's several hours recording time.

Aside from format, one of my interests was the small size, since I already own an XH-A1. I'm looking for a camera to shoot narrative programs for the web, so we can look like tourists during shooting. (There are some great locations of all sorts that lend themselves to such a production style.)

He said the camera should be introduced at NAB 2009.

He asked me what I would be willing to pay. I said the price range of the XH-A1 would be okay for me. He said they were aiming at $4000 or less (which is what the A1s is) as MSRP.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Wow, thanks for sharing, Jack. I'd be thrilled to have an SD card recording camera capable of 60P that cuts well with my 200s that I could throw on a smaller Steadicam or similar, and use as a point of view camera when I don't want to risk my 200s or in colder weather (it gets colder than -40 up here in winter). Also, a lens that goes wider than the stock 16 x 5.5 would sure be nice.
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #30
Trustee

Dec. 15 BandPro in Burbank is having a show and JVC is supposed to be there. I'm going, and I will see if there is any more info on the new, small camera.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems