JVC to unveil new "video acquisition product" during Macworld - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Closed Thread

Old January 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #16
New Boot

If this is a wish list for new devices... What would be really great is Matrox/AJA IoHD/DR-HD100 hybrid-product...

I mean a small, lean and mean, native ProRes 422 (and other codecs) recorder with component in, HDMI-out, HD-SDI in AND out, on-board battery + D-TAP cable, firewire and an ejectable ExpressCard for solid state storage.

Of course, the ejectable card can be inserted into the ExpressCard slot of a laptop, or the device itself can be hooked up to a computer via FireWire.

But, an additional cool feature would be this...
The ExpressCard can also act as a gateway to the IO-interfaces of the portable recorder-unit, like the Matrox MXO2! To enable this, the device comes with an additional 3 GB/s cable to connect the ExpressCard (which is also the Solid State harddisk) to the recorder-unit, enabling your system to output, via a 3 Gb/s connection, full res HD on a HDTV or professional monitor for critical color grading. It would also enable you to capture live trough one of the HD inputs of the device, maybe even uncompressed.

In addition to this, in camera/recording mode, the device enables to loop trough the input to an HDMI or HD-SDI output, so you still have a full res HD Preview in the field, using affordable HDMI TV's or professional HD-SDI monitors, while capturing the camera output to the unit.

All in one device...
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
Not likely, but if we're in the realm of wish lists, I'd prefer AVID DNxHD - its a better codec than ProRes. (Let the flames begin.) ;)

EDIT: Wait, I just checked, and it seems JVC HAS a license to use DNxHD... interesting. They could offer BOTH ProRes, and DNxHD.
What's Avid got to do with it??? At least, what's it got to do with tomorrow's announcement?

The press release states "the introduction of the world's first video acquisition product developed for Final Cut post production".

BTW have you done a side by side of ProRes and DNxHD? I'd be interested to know your findings.

Liam.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #18
Trustee

ok.macworld has came... and ????? nothing on pro.jvc.com ? so whats the word ?
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #19
Major Player

It's supposed to be revealed tonight.

My hopes are a camcorder mountable HD-SDI to ProRes recorder, which gets offloaded onto SxS cards or internal drive.

Would be great for my Canon XL H1S, especially since I shoot alot tethered to the AJA IO HD.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
My hopes are a camcorder mountable HD-SDI to ProRes recorder, which gets offloaded onto SxS cards or internal drive.
With optional component inputs and I'm sold.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #21
Trustee

I don't care about prores simply because its not cross platform. yes know PC's can now read ProRes, but they can't write it.

using a higher data rate of Mpeg2 like 35 or 50mbits though would be great. putting in enough CPU power to encode HD to ProRes will be expensive both in price and power. be careful what you wish for.

just gimme a $99 FW to iPod cable and let the iPod work as a DDR :)
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #22
Major Player

So any news from the Meet? Does anyone have a Blackberry or iPhone (gotta be a couple hundred of those there) that can spill the beans on the new JVC announcement?

Daniel Weber
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #23
Major Player

I'm here at the supermeet. It's a new HD camcorder that records .mov xdcam files to sdhc cards -potentially awesome FCP workflow. Under $4K. No demo footage shown. Should be info on pro.jvc.com tomorrow. It's something personally I could potentially use but who knows what the image quality is like, they didn't have demo footage which is suspect to me. It's a very small cam so small sensors and therefore probably not great in low light or will have inherently high dof.
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks!! That's what I thought it was going to be. I saw a video of this camera that was shot at IBC, but no one was talking about the format that was going to be recorded on the SDHD cards. All the speculation was AVCHD, but they kept saying Pro camera and to me AVCHD is not a pro format.

I think that the chips will be 1/3". This is a great B roll camera and at a price of $4000 will compete well with the Panasonic camera that sells for about the same price.

Pretty cool when you consider that the SDHC chips are so cost efficient when compared to shooting with the SxS cards that I use on my EX1.

Did they give a shipping date?

Thanks for the update,

Daniel Weber
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #25
Major Player

They said April. Re EX1 and SDHC, we can now record on that with SDHC and Expersscard adapter -it works great with the EX1.
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
They said April. Re EX1 and SDHC, we can now record on that with SDHC and Expersscard adapter -it works great with the EX1.
Thanks for the update on the shipping date (projected).

I am aware of the SDHC option for the EX1. I guess that I am worried about the data rates though. I don't want to give up the option to overcrank. I will buy some and test it out though. I don't want to take this discussion any further here since it is the wrong forum.

Nice move on JVC's part with this camera and the FCP workflow. Did they say if it would do the 35 mb XDCAM or only 25 mb? 35mb would be great in such a small package. Kind of worried about the lens though.

Daniel Weber
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #27
Wrangler

I started a new thread with all the specs I have so far. Most of the questions posed above are answered there.

Yes 35mbps. 1/4" CCD.

Locking this thread. Please post comments based on specs in the new thread.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...camcorder.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems