JVC to unveil new "video acquisition product" during Macworld at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Wrangler

JVC to unveil new "video acquisition product" during Macworld

Press Release:
Quote:
JVC Sponsors Its Fifth FCPUG SuperMeet

(Wayne, New Jersey--December 22, 2008) JVC Professional kicks off the 8th Annual Final Cut Pro User Group (FCPUG) SuperMeet with the introduction of the world's first video acquisition product developed for Final Cut post production on Wednesday, January 7th.

The FCPUG event will be held from 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. in the Robertson Auditorium at Mission Bay Conference Center in San Francisco.

JVC's Craig Yanagi, National Marketing Manager for Creation Products will unveil the revolutionary product, making this FCPUG SuperMeet a truly historic event. Following JVC's presentation, Apple's Professional Applications team will demonstrate how this groundbreaking technology brings more creativity and efficiency in working with Final Cut Studio. Other sponsoring component manufacturers will also be presenting, have their products on display and will be available to meet face-to-face with SuperMeet attendees.

WHEN:
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. (Doors open 4:30 p.m. for FCP Tradeshow)

WHERE:
Robertson Auditorium
Mission Bay Conference Center
1675 Owens Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

For additional information and to purchase tickets to the event, visit the LA Final Cut Pro User Group at MacWorld at Macworld 09 FCPUG SuperMeet.

ABOUT JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY
JVC Professional Products Company, located in Wayne, New Jersey, is a leading supplier to the broadcast and professional video production industry with a full line of HD and standard definition camcorders, studio system components, video recorders, full HD resolution monitors and projectors, switchers and accessories. For more information about this, or any other JVC Professional Products Company product, contact JVC at (800) 582-5825; or Candace Vadnais at PFS Marketwyse 973-812-8883, ext. 430 or visit JVC's Web site at JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY.

That's 7PM-10PM PST.

Check back here on January 7th, 2009 for all the juicy details revealed at the FCPUG Supermeet. I will have my hands-on review posted here at dvinfo.net a day later.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't make it a habit to bump threads but I'm very surprised that no one is the slightest bit curious what this new "video acquisition product" is.
We'll have all the details posted here after the FCP Supermeet and I will have a hands-on preview posted on Friday Jan 9th.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I think the details were too vague but could be VERY interesting... Look forward to hearing about it!
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Oh, I'm curious all right... I have a short list of things I HOPE this announcement is all about.
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I've been intensely curious and will be there on Wednesday.

I just hope it's something that will benefit users other than HD250's.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Major Player

It was making me think to take a day off from work and go and rub shoulders and ask questions! But I don't think I can get out of it
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Trustee

if it doesn't work on a HD100 like the announced SxS card recorder only works on 200 series cameras... I don't care.

I will say I'm just about done with tape though. if its an affordable drive pak, I'm game if it will work on my camera.
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Major Player

My sentiments are exactly the same as Steve's. Will it work with the 100/110 and will it be affordable? I'd love to go tapeless though.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I got it! I got it!

I figured it out, you will soon be able to plug your JVC into the new "i-pod" and use it as hard disk recorder. Then the new "i-phone" will have an FCP app that you can use cut in the field and post it online... What will Apple think of next...
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Chuck, an app for my iPhone that would wrap the incoming .m2t stream into a QuickTime file would be heaven! I would pay $150 for that app. (Maybe a job for Mike Woodworth!) It would just need a special cable with a 6 pin FW on one end for the camera and the other end plugs into the bottom of the iPhone.

I'm also interested in reading Tim's preview article on Friday about the JVC acquisition product. I'm always interested in anything Tim has to say.

But the idea of an iPhone app for the 100/110 crowd reminds me a bit of the alternatives for the SXS cards on the PMW EX-1/3 forum (such as the Kensington adapter and MxR adapter). SXS cards are a terrific and reliable product, but these SXS alternatives are something like 1/10th the cost and have proven wildly popular with DV Info members.

The Firestore DR-HD100 looks like a great product but is priced at A$3,328 in my neck of the woods. Plus another A$215 for the mount brings the total to A$3543. For comparison, I noticed that B&H are selling the entire camera, GY-HD110, for US$3,480 or A$4,891. So the DR-HD100 is up to 72% of the cost of a brand-new camera. That's why I draw the parallel with the PMW-EX1's SXS cards.

If the new JVC announcement only concerns the 200/250 series, then an iPhone app as described above could prove similarly popular (such as the SXS alternatives) for the 100/110 owners on this board. Purely my opinion.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Major Player

What I'm hoping for is a solid state device taking the uncompressed video and audio outputs from any of the ProHD line and recording them in a variety of Apple/Sony codecs such as XDCAM HD, and XDCAM EX, HOWEVER, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope it's Apple's PRO RES 422!

Hmmm I would be just as happy to have it have a firewire port on the back so the ProRes 422 from the uncompressed live outputs to the firewire drive while bypassing the HDV encoder. If such a device came out at a reasonable price, I would buy the device on weds afternoon and order a 13x lens and stick with JVC for the next 5 years.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #12
Major Player

In bypassing HDV compression (which is what I hope this announcement is) I just don't see how they can do much for the non SDI crowd without retooling the cameras we already have. The only thing I can think of is a global board swap/upgrade path, which would pretty awesome. I'd be willing to throw down some ducats for that!
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #13
New Boot

I definitely hope they introduce something that records in ProRes 422 to SxS, straight from the camera. Either via Firewire (like the AJA IoHD), which is always better -faster- then converting HDV to ProRes 422 afterwards) or via component-in/HD-SDI. This device would be a killer.

Or would they introduce a totally new camcorder with native ProRes 422 support...?
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #14
Major Player

What do they mean by video acquisition product? Isn't that a camera??

Could this announcement be the solid state recording, super high-definition, multi format, multi frame rate, make you rich thingy-me-jig we've all been waiting for?
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Not likely, but if we're in the realm of wish lists, I'd prefer AVID DNxHD - its a better codec than ProRes. (Let the flames begin.) ;)

EDIT: Wait, I just checked, and it seems JVC HAS a license to use DNxHD... interesting. They could offer BOTH ProRes, and DNxHD.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems