Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old March 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #166
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Btw 0.7x brings the lens down to 28mm, which is a quite good wide angle without barrel distortion.
Yes, the picture looked good with little distortion, one reason it didn't seem like a .5x as we were told.

Yes, a 58mm converter is too big and defeats the purpose of this camera.

I agree it would be preferable to have a wider stock lens, especially considering the purpose of this camera is handheld, and there isn't even a lanc or other connection for a remote zoom controller.

This camera is ideal for the Merlin, and it would be even better with a slightly wider stock lens, though the converter is lightweight enough that it shouldn't be a big issue for this use.

I think the production cameras have to tell the story. The prototype I saw had a couple of things about the zooming I didn't like, but this was with the converter on and could possibly have been due to the way the camera was mounted on the plate.

On the monitors there, when pointing the camera into the dark areas of the setup, the picture did not look great, but I don't think that means anything until the final camera comes out. I would guess that the camera is still being worked on extensively, and that is why there is no video available. Small adjustments make big differences, so I would expect on release the camera will be within the parameters advertised.

If the controls work well and the picture is as advertised, this camera is very comfortable to operate. It is comfortable handheld, and it is perfect to quickly plop on a small beanbag in tight quarters. And so on.

If the video matches (or surpasses?) the XH cameras, it should be a winner.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #167
Major Player

Workflow for Vegas Pro 8c

I just read through the new pdf for the GY-HM100 http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/CA...00_kcs8409.pdf and it says that there will be
"direct file access" to FCP but that the MP4 file workflow will have an import and
ingest process to the "major" NLE systems. My question is what is the difference between the two is it just a matter of upload speed to the NLE? Do you think Vegas will support in the near future some kind of direct access like FCP via version upgrade? I'm currently using Vegas Pro 8c.
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM   #168
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
Do you think Vegas will support in the near future some kind of direct access like FCP via version upgrade? I'm currently using Vegas Pro 8c.
Vegas (or any other NLE) will use the exact same workflow for the HM100/700 MP4 files as it would for Sony EX1 or EX3 MP4 files. The files are identical.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM   #169
Regular Crew

Sony Vegas and HM700 XDCAM files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
I just read through the new pdf for the GY-HM100 and it says that there will be "direct file access" to FCP but that the MP4 file workflow will have an import and ingest process to the "major" NLE systems. Do you think Vegas will support in the near future some kind of direct access like FCP via version upgrade? I'm currently using Vegas Pro 8c.
If you have the Calibrated{Q}XD codec (there's a trial version available, full version costs $80) as well as Quicktime then Vegas Pro 8 will read the .mov files directly, without needing to go through the MXF/MP4 conversion.

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for Windows

I have tried this using the XDCAM demo file from Andy Shipsides, the trial version of the Calibrated decoder and Vegas 8 on a Vista laptop, worked fine.

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #170
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post
If you have the Calibrated{Q}XD codec (there's a trial version available, full version costs $80) as well as Quicktime then Vegas Pro 8 will read the .mov files directly, without needing to go through the MXF/MP4 conversion.

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for Windows

I have tried this using the XDCAM demo file from Andy Shipsides, the trial version of the Calibrated decoder and Vegas 8 on a Vista laptop, worked fine.

Regards
Dave
I figured there would be some kind of 3rd party support, thanks for the link.
Who knows maybe the next Vegas update will be capable of performing this task.
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems