Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old January 20th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Tim -Caesar's Palace

Tim

Can you post some full rez grabs from the Caesar's Palace shots?
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM   #92
Regular Crew

Or some videos?
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM   #93
Obstreperous Rex

Video clips or frame grabs would not be a good idea at this point; the camera Tim had is just an engineering sample, not complete, and not representative of the image quality from a finished, shipping unit. So it wouldn't be fair to you or to JVC, because such clips and grabs would not be accurate. We'll post samples as soon as we can get material from the same kind of unit as the ones that will ship (an engineering sample just won't cut it). Thanks for understanding,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM   #94
Wrangler

The 35Mbps clips I shot are way to big to upload anyway (next time I'll shoot little 4 second clips to make it easier) and I'm having trouble uploading a full res tiff to the server. I'll see if Chris can post this tiff somewhere else.
It is an engineering sample and the blue/yellow flaring you see may be a non-issue by the time the camera ships but it was still very impressive how little noise there is in the picture at +18dB gain.
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM   #95
Regular Crew

I understand.... but

would love to see a grab anyway - knowing that it is not a final version... and hoping that final will be at least as good.

Thanks
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
but it was still very impressive how little noise there is in the picture at +18dB gain.
This is very true. Very minimal noise at those pics.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Some more user pics..

http://www.videoaktiv.de/images/2009/jvcpro/full.jpg

http://www.videoaktiv.de/images/2009/jvcpro/display.jpg
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM   #98
Major Player

Tim, thanks for the time to post the first look. Other than some night shots did you do any other shooting? What were your impressions, say comparing against existing camcorders, specifically the EX1 or EX3? (or others if appropriate).

I think we all realize there are going to be some tweaks to the final version of the camcorder before release, but there should be some basic impressions (other than lack of remote wired control). I think we're all interested in the image quality. It's hard to really tell from a couple of reduced-rez frame grabs of a fairly low complexity, low texture image such as a building (although much appreciated by all for anything, even this). Will you be posting more full screen grabs or other subjective impressions on your tests with this camcorder?

Thanks much again.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #99
Regular Crew

He promised to post videos also and I think he will do.
One thing I missed is where is the ring for iris.
I hope they don't mean you can +/- only without f/stops.
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #100
Regular Crew

Has there been any information of the sensor resolution yet ?
I really don't worry too much about the small 1/4" CCD-size as long as the native resolution is HD (1920x1080) and not SD (960x540).
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Doppelbauer View Post
Has there been any information of the sensor resolution yet ?
I really don't worry too much about the small 1/4" CCD-size as long as the native resolution is HD (1920x1080) and not SD (960x540).
I think the pixel shifting is a clue that it wont be 'true' 1920x1080. (Otherwise why would you have to mess about shifting pixels!- its a resolution enhancement thing)

the 1/4" CCD doesnt scare me either - you've gotta remember 1/4" CCD IS NOT the same as 1/4" CMOS - CMoS sensors are inherently more noisy than CCD for any given size.

The fuse has been well and truely lit with this baby, i am an EX1 owner and there's been chatter about this cam over in that forum. So now - bring on the fireworks.

Wish we could see 'some' footage from the pre prod. model just to keep us happy
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #102
Major Player

The display and some of the icons look exactly like the ones currently on the HD7. It even uses the same batteries which are data batteries. The main difference is the CCD';s on the HD7 are 1/5 inch vs. 1/4 inch.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #103
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
The display and some of the icons look exactly like the ones currently on the HD7. It even uses the same batteries which are data batteries. The main difference is the CCD';s on the HD7 are 1/5 inch vs. 1/4 inch.
And, the physical package seems very close the HD1/HD10.

These photos were taken at the pre-NAB 2003 Press Briefing at JVC.

This was the beginning of "Affordable HD."

Back then the "alpha dogs" all proclaimed MPEG-2 "couldn't be edited" or if it could -- you would go crazy waiting for the "missing" frames to be re-created as you jogged through footage, or if you didn't go nuts -- the edits simply couldn't be frame accurate. Long GOP formats simply couldn't be edited.

Gee -- that sounds like what Panasonic still claims. :)

Then there were attacks on "HDV" based upon those who tried the Z1. Hollywood types seemed to have zero understanding that there were two types of HDV and that 18Mbps 720p24/720p30 had half the compression as 720p60 which was used to deliver both sports and Hollywood movies.

And, after folks screaming 30p couldn't be used -- the Avid list-serve now has folks coming forward to admit they now use 30p rather than 24p because they don't want to hassle with pulldown.

Which, I guess, makes the HD1/HD10 6 years ahead of its time.
Attached Thumbnails
Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder-dscf0078_2.jpg   Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder-dscf0079_2.jpg  

Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder-dscf0080.jpg   Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder-dscf0081_2.jpg  

Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder-hd1-10-compare.jpg  
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #104
Major Player

Great perspective Steve. And I agree. I think too many people thought 24p would offer some huge advantage because it was compressing fewer frames, which is true. But, some had their faces so close to the monitor they were missing the obvious issues with judder and such. And I think so many of the Avid editors where initially thinking 24p HDV would pull down as easy as 24pa DV. But I'm glad the myth of 24p being the only framerate to shoot in has finally passed.

I will be interesting to compare the different bit rates in terms of overall quality when these cameras start shipping. For standard def delivery, I'm betting 35 mbps 720/30p will look Mr. Clean as can be.

Cheers.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #105
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
...For standard def delivery, I'm betting 35 mbps 720/30p will look Mr. Clean as can be.

Cheers.
Don't forget any SD output will have to be done in post as the codec only outputs HD frame sizes - see page 1
Matt San is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems