Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old January 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #31
Trustee

Do you think Neo Scene will work with the GY-HM100U on a PC and Adobe CS4, I hate to spend the $$$ to switch my editing system to an IMAC and Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #32
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Do you think Neo Scene will work with the GY-HM100U on a PC and Adobe CS4, I hate to spend the $$$ to switch my editing system to an IMAC and Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio.
PP CS4 supports the ISO 35Mbps MPEG2 platform, so I don't understand the necessity for Neo Scene.
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #33
Major Player

Craig, I was very interested in this camera, until I saw the price tag! I don't think it's a full pro camera (like zoom and focus are on the same ring, ND filter has only 1 setting and so on). I think new Canon line-up has almost identical features for $2800 less.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #34
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Craig, I was very interested in this camera, until I saw the price tag! I don't think it's a full pro camera (like zoom and focus are on the same ring, ND filter has only 1 setting and so on). I think new Canon line-up has almost identical features for $2800 less.
The Canon products are very well designed. We've studied them for the HM100, as well as other cameras. Our aim was to raise the bar on the recording platform and workflow as well as imagery. I have the utmost confidence in our engineering team to bring an outstanding product to market. Also, we have integrated major technologies from two world-class companies. From my experience, that'll be hard to find at any price.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #35
Major Player

Craig how about loyal JVC customers trade ins?

Craig, would JVC consider trade ins on older JVC HDV cameras towards the new ones? (limited time window for the product launch date for instance) I would LOVE to trade in my original JVC HD10u for credit towards a HM100 to be the little brother of my current JVC HD110. Just thought I would throw it out there.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #36
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
Craig, would JVC consider trade ins on older JVC HDV cameras towards the new ones? (limited time window for the product launch date for instance) I would LOVE to trade in my original JVC HD10u for credit towards a HM100 to be the little brother of my current JVC HD110. Just thought I would throw it out there.
Thanks for your suggestion, Alex. We'll see what we can do...
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
The Canon products are very well designed. We've studied them for the HM100, as well as other cameras. Our aim was to raise the bar on the recording platform and work flow as well as imagery. I have the utmost confidence in our engineering team to bring an outstanding product to market. Also, we have integrated major technologies from two world-class companies. From my experience, that'll be hard to find at any price.
I first saw the HM100 at a show (in a closed box) in Burbank a couple of months ago.

I was ready to buy one on the spot. The JVC rep how much I would be willing to pay for the new camera, and I said between $3500 and $4000.

I have an HD-110 with the expensive wide angle lens, and I want a small camera that shoots the same formats, and 60p as well.

Besides shooting at home, I am shooting in spots around the world, needing to carry everything in a carry-on (including a DSLR and lenses). I bought an XH-A1 for that purpose. However, it is just a bit too big and too heavy. I also need PCM sound, so I take a small recorder extra. I use a Merlin and the XH-A1 is just a bit large and heavy for the Merlin while traveling.

The tape of the XH-A1 is a safety net, but I am ready to get rid of the tape mechanism and carry a couple of tiny hard drives to off-load the SD cards to.

Their is nothing better than the XH-A1 in it's class, in my opinion. However, the new JVC HM-100 has features that tilt the scale for my needs. I can shoot 1280x720/24p and match the 110. I can shoot 1280x720/60p for slow motion. I have the higher bit rates and 1080 settings for shooting personal stock footage, matching other projects, etc.

Another nice feature is the two SD cards, making it much easier to slip out a card and hide it when stopped by the police in a foreign country and still has video (on the other card) to show as "proof" of what is being shot or to give up.

With the smaller diameter lens, I can imagine accessories (such as a wide-angle converter and filters) will be proportionately smaller and lighter.

I also noticed the single ring on the lens barrel, but I've twisted the wrong ring enough times on the XH-A1 when running around in a strange place, that a single ring with a switch (or however its setup) might be a welcome advantage. This and other such things will have to wait to be tried out.

The XH-A1 is such a great camera that I have no plans on getting rid of it. But I am budgeting to get an HM-100 sooner than later, because at this time it has many advantages for my particular situation.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Another nice feature is the two SD cards, making it much easier to slip out a card and hide it when stopped by the police in a foreign country and still has video (on the other card) to show as "proof" of what is being shot or to give up.
I agree with the desirability of the two SDHC slots - why did Panasonic only put one on the HMC151?

A question for Craig - it would be extremely useful if you could make identical recordings on two cards at the same time, for reasons of (say) a pool facility and two organisations needing to quickly access the material independently. Is this possible with the HM100?

Additionally, is it possible to copy clips from one card to another?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #39
Space Hipster

Quote:
I like this idea! I'd definitely trade in my HD200 for the HM700.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #40
Major Player

Remote zoom control?

Hmm. One thing that seems to be lacking is a wired port for lens control (zoom/focus) Lanc or 12pin fujinon. Or did I miss that?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #41
Major Player

We've all been cross posting in the 2 new model topics. I started writing about the 700 first here, but I'm excited about both. I also have call for a more surreptitious looking camera, and work alone or in situations a larger camera is not practical. A great small camera which is a quality stand alone, as well as a practical B camera which can match a larger "pro ergonmics" camera is a power combo.

Personally I was hoping this would be a bit cheaper too, but if it delivers all the potential inherent in the specs, it will definitely have a place in the market
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #42
Wrangler

I'm back in Toronto and gathering my thoughts on the camera. I shot some nighttime footage in various frame rates & gain levels at 1080 and 720 and I just have to take a closer look at the clips.

It would be unfair to actually do a full review of the camera available to us at CES since it was only an engineering sample. Many features (like LoLux) that will be included in the final release were not fully programmed into the firmware yet.

More later...
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #43
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I'm back in Toronto and gathering my thoughts on the camera. I shot some nighttime footage in various frame rates gain levels at 1080 and 720 and I just have to take a closer look at the clips.

More later...
I think I speak for others on this forum when I say can't wait for your review, Tim. We understand this is a prototype, but I'm anxious to see how it handles low light levels, even wthout the LoLux finalized.
Too bad you didn't have the HM700 to play with.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #44
Wrangler

Quote:
Hmm. One thing that seems to be lacking is a wired port for lens control (zoom/focus) Lanc or 12pin fujinon. Or did I miss that?
You are right. No external lens control interface. This is Chris Hurd's pet peeve.
JVC explained to us that this camera was designed specifically as a handheld camera and therefore does not accommodate hard wired lens control. We didn't see the IR remote so we can only assume that zoom will be included.
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #45
Major Player

It looks like the hybrid love child of a Sony PD10 and a Panasonic DVX100.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems