JVC HM 100 Footage, When? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old March 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Tourist

JVC HM 100 Footage, When?

With the HM 100 supposedly shipping sometime in April, you would think there would be an abundance of sample footage available. I cant find any...

Anyone have an idea when and where some will be posted?

Avery
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Thatīs a GOOD question. You are not the only one waiting...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The day it is officially released will be the only time u will get to see anything from this camera I reckon.

I think we're all gonna be bitterly disappointed with the results tho if the HM700 is anything to go by
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Major Player

could you elaborate on your reason?
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

well given all the hype surrounding its launch, JVC are playing their cards very close to their chest. They simply want to keep us waiting until the final hour to maintain interest.

It's all marketing spin - we're the suckers to fall for it
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree about the spin and hype. However I wanted to see why you did not like HM700 footage? I would expect the 100 model to be less then 700 as far as quality (smaller chip and not so nice optics, however I had hard time judging the samples posted in the article.
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

the pixel shifting in the 700 is producing red and green edges (fringing) on high contrast scenes.

There is no way I would accept this as a pro camera even if the codec is top notch.

So the hm100 has a smaller sensor and will undoubtedly have the same affliction
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt San View Post
the pixel shifting in the 700 is producing red and green edges (fringing) on high contrast scenes.
Hi Matt - is this footage available online somewhere to look at? I was very interested in this camera but would like to see this effect before I shell out loads of cash.

Thanks
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Tim has uploaded two examples

JVC GY-HM700 Test "Overcranked" at 60fps on Vimeo

if you are a member login and then download the actual MOV file - bottom right of page - right click save-as

then watch the footage - look at the sky top left - red edges

look at the brick wall/girl leaning on wall under MARKET sign - red/green fringing

look at the grill on the wall bottom left edges - red/green fringing

I get none of this on my EX1
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Major Player

I could see a bit on the shot with the girl. However I could not see the others on my 23" screen. I just don't think it's all that much better then HD110. Maybe the set-up needs tweaking? If HM100 is even worst I don't think I want to purchase it for the price. For about 2k I could see it as a back-up unit, but nothing more. Marketing it as a full pro looks like pure marketing hype.
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Major Player

A couple things to remember. The HM 700 that Tim did his tests with was a pre-production protoype. He also may not have had time to completely set up the camera. So it probably doesn't reflect the final version's quality.

Two, I have to question whether highly compressed Vimeo examples even begin to do anything justice.

And three. Ever since I've been coming to DVINfo, there is some debate on some bacteria sized camera issue that would require the average person to stick their nose up to the monitor to even begin to see some of the issues with these cameras.

I've seen posts blasting Red and Silicon Imaging cameras despite the fact the award winning feature films and commercials have been produced using those cameras. It comes across to me sometimes as wanne be's vs. professionals who actually make the tools work.

I guarantee someone's going produce an award winning project with these cameras. Because that project will have some compelling content that will be obvious to everyone.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Couldn't agree with you more David. To say that this isn't a pro-quality camera is way too premature---especially given these are the native 1024x768 sensors. That's an amazing piece of engineering in itself and I believe will translate into some extremely sharp images---yet hopefully with the richer, more filmic quality the JVC usually has in image comparison testing---the EX1/EX3 image is very sharp --some say almost too sharp and too much video-look. I am not about to go there though and light a fire under all the EX1/EX3 users but it will be interesting to see what Adam Wilt's thorough testing proves out.
Steve Harryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt San View Post

There is no way I would accept this as a pro camera even if the codec is top notch.

So the hm100 has a smaller sensor and will undoubtedly have the same affliction
It's doubtful pixel shifting has anything to do with the chromatic aberration seen in my test clips from the engineering sample. If it did then there would be CA present throughout the whole image and not just the corners at the widest focal length. The circle of least confusion is rock solid in my test footage, suggesting the lens optics are the culprit. However as soon as the lens is zoomed in slightly the CA almost completely disappears.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a HM700 as soon as they are available and to immediately test the other available lenses against the HDXXX series. I suspect there will be considerably less CA than the previous generation due to improvements in the RGB splitting prism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt San
I get none of this on my EX1
You're right. The EX1 has minimal CA as do most fixed lens cameras that have been specifically calibrated to compensate for the proprietary lens.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Looking forward to your findings Tim.
Steve Harryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #15
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery Sellards View Post
With the HM 100 supposedly shipping sometime in April, you would think there would be an abundance of sample footage available. I cant find any...

Anyone have an idea when and where some will be posted?

Avery
At PMA 2009 I put a card into the HM100 but it refused to record. Same with the another "future" (June) JVC camcorder. Perhaps a very smart way to prevent postings of prototype video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems