HM100 -- Same JVC Battery as HD110? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old April 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Trustee

HM100 -- Same JVC Battery as HD110?

Does the HM100 use the same standard JVC battery as used on the HD110 uses without an adapter for a pro battery?

(For example, Sony makes two sizes, small and longer, but I don't know about JVC.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
New Boot

The HM100 uses a BN-VF823U Data Battery (7.2V, 2190mAh), which I believe is from their consumer cameras. I don't think it batteries from the HD110 would work with it.
Justin Terreberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Major Player

The anton bauer or IDX system batteries, which you need to "properly" use the 100 series remotely, and are required with the 200 series are compatible. The 700 comes with a A/B plate, the IDX plate will probably be available as a kit. Eyeballing them, the 200 series IDX plate looks like it would also fit on the 700.
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Actually, I'm asking about the small JVC battery that comes with the HD100/100 -- battery that almost no one uses because it runs the camera only a few minutes. The JVC battery number is BN-V428. I don't know if this is the same size/mount as what is being used on the HM100. As suggested below, the HM100 may use a consumer only batter that is not compatible with the battery on the HD100/HD110.

I am looking at a light that has a JVC BN mount on it. But is the BN-V428 and the BN-VF823U the same mount size... or are they different? (That is, is there more than one size JVC BN mount?)

(Most people use an adapter and a v-lock or AB battery... which would be compatible with the new HM700.)

(In looking the battery number up, I just noticed the HD110, with the 16x lens, is now selling for $3000 at B&H, and that includes a soft carrying case... $500 less than the little HM100.. without a carrying case.)
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Major Player

my bad. 100 and 700 look far too similar to my bleary eyes tonight.
Are you hoping to get some mileage from older HD100 batteries? Even if they fit, they may not be great performers (older tech, and aging factor).
It is useful to know though. IMHO the HD100 batteries WERE consumer grade.
How about the batteries from the GY-HD1 & JY-HD10? These actually had a very similar form factor to the HM-100. Had one of these back in the day, but can't recall the specifics about those batts either.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Are you hoping to get some mileage from older HD100 batteries?
I'm need to decide what mount to get on the portable light. I have the HD110 battery and charger, and if the HM100 uses the same charger and type of batteries, in the long run I'd prefer to use the same battery for camera and light.

However, I have many Canon batteries and many Sony batteries. A Canon camera, but no Sony camera, so I could use Canon or Sony on the light. But I don't use the JVC (I have AB for the JVC camera), so it would be nice to keep things simple with one type battery, and I would have two chargers... etc. etc. etc.
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Wrangler

They are not the same.

The batteries for the HM100 perform well and last a long time. I was in 90 degree dry environment though so I can't speak for cold performance.
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
They are not the same.

The batteries for the HM100 perform well and last a long time. I was in 90 degree dry environment though so I can't speak for cold performance.
It is same which I am using with my JVC GZ-HD7, performance is good, I keep two with me and fully charged so I am fine.

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Is there a reference somewhere that shows the JVC battery numbers and the size and kind of mount each uses.

I wouldn't think this is such a complicated issue. But then, I asked CY at a show which battery the HM100 used, and he said, "just a regular battery, whatever."

How many different base sizes are there for JVC? (For example, Canon uses two different mounts for their cameras, the one on the XH-A1 and the smaller one as on the HV20. Similarly Sony has the larger size ("L" series) used on the PD150 and a smaller size ("M" series used on the palm size cameras.)
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #10
Trustee

The HM100 specs say "when used with JVC DATA batteries," which strongly suggests that other batteries can be used. However, I can't find what mount is being used and what charger.

It seems that this should be easier to figure out. For example, I have a Sony charger that clearly charges both "L" and "M" series batteries. Everything is clear, the battery, the mount, the power, etc.

What's the deal with JVC that it has to be a mystery.

The whole approach seems condescending sometimes. At the show I was told that a new wide angle adapter had been designed and built for the HM100. In truth, this was just an existing consumer product used on other cameras.

If high level JVC reps (even in sales) can't be trusted on the little things, why should we believe anything else?
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Major Player

It is the same battery as GZ-HD7 models, same with wide angle adapter. At this point you can buy a whole bunch of non JVC batteries for 20-25 bucks a piece. And my experience tells me there is no difference in their performance. Same with wide angle adopter- which they try to push for $200!
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems