Just had my HM 100 today.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old April 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Just had my HM 100 today..

..and I can tell you now, as an existing EX1 owner I am over the moon with this camera!

The 18db gain is fantastic - so much less noise than the 9db gain on my EX1

This camera is about 1 'notch' less sharp than the EX1 but the images are above what I had expected.

The low light performance is excellent - Who said CMOS is better than CCD in low light - well if it was you - check this cam out - You wont be saying that after you've played with this for a while.

Another concern knocked on the head was handling noise throught the shotgun mic - I can say its very low - even with me manhandling the camera very little is transferred to the mic. Ok not the best mic in the world but more than acceptable.

So to quickly sum up - I am quite a harsh critic on image quality etc but this cam has exceeded my expectations - especially in the low light arena.

If you buy this cam you will be delighted with its image quality I have no doubts.

So far the only critisism I have is the OIS - to be honest I had to check if it was on!!
but that aside, everything else is superb.

Oh Did I mention the weight - half the weight of my EX1!!

and last but by no means least - Blacks are black under tungsten lighting - which isnt true on my EX1 - check the sony forum!

If you are umming and arring about buying this - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt San View Post
Just had my HM 100 today...
Lucky guy... ;)
Quote:
The 18db gain is fantastic - so much less noise than the 9db gain on my EX1 .../... The low light performance is excellent.
Was it with the Lolux 'on' or 'off' (I presume, 'on')?
How is the comparison with the EX1 when it is on 'off'.

Some other first reviewers (of the HM70 or HM100) complained that the Lolux created to much trails on fast moving objects (due to the frame accumulation technics used by the Lolux function): in case of moving shoots, what is your opinion compared to a EX1 shoot in low light?
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Low lux is a waste of time - all it does it turn the gain to sometihng like +30db and slows the shutter to something like 1/15 sec - so everything is jerking and the gain-noise is not really acceptable to me.

I am just using it in normal manual mode 1/50 shutter f1.8.

In low light its the same as normal light - since the frame rate and shutter speeds dont change - jsut the gain.

All my comments are with LOLUX off - i tried it on for 5 mins then decided its not a function I would use.

I will, later, shoot some night footage and post it on vimeo - I know thats what everyone wants to see - I will not colour or gamma correct it - I will post it as it came out of the cam.

be prepared to be impressed :)
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for that Matt. I have a demo in Exeter tommorow, your comments have made me all the more eager to get my hands on this cam
Cheers
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Congratulation! So when you are going to upload some clips captured by your HM100?

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

put some quick shots on now - but youtube has made a right hash compressing the video - believe me the footage looks better than on you tube but gives you an idea. (you tube seems to be jello-camming the file but beleive me it was steady and crisp before youtube messed with it!)

I shot this today quickly all handheld on full auto - ND set to on

No CC etc - basically raw footage

I'll do some low light later

YouTube - jvc GY-hm100 hm100 Raw Sample footage

and now on vimeo too

http://www.vimeo.com/4415939

Last edited by Matt San; April 30th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Looks good (apart from what YouTube has done to it - the've been doing that to my EX3 videos lately too - as posted about elsewhere on here, not sure why as a month or two back all was well with YouTube HD, now it always looks like C%^&).

This new JVC Cam is looking like a strong contender for me as a B cam the more I read and see. Congrats on getting it and and keep the info coming! (and especially comparisons with EX1/3 for people like me).
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for that Matt, amazing colours. I think tomorrow has turned into a buying trip, rather than just a demo.
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ok ive uploaded onto vimeo too

if it doesnt show up its still transcoding - hopefully vimeo will show a better pic

JVC GY-HM100 sample footage on Vimeo
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Matt,

Downloading now. I was considering purchasing the EX-1 next month and noticed you said you had one. I am real curious if I can get as good image quality with the HM100 at almost half the price.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

well no doubt the EX1 has a better picture - no arguments there BUT
is it worth twice the price - open to debate

~i would say as a B cam or as a semi pro this will suit 100% -but if u want top notch high quality video then this isnt the cam for you

I am a prosumer so it fits excatly into what I need and want - It edits exactly like EX files do - just a note - the clip browser JVC provide is like sony clipbrowser version 1 !!!

I am using my sony software to transfer files off the SDHC cards as its better than the JVC s/w provided.

Best way to answer yr question is to demo both.

The weight factor is also good for me as I do a lot handheld and the EX1 is hard going due to the 3kg bulk and form factor

Either way - u will have a good cam that reflects what you paid for it!

good luck
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #12
New Boot

Agree. Lowlux is not a good use of ones time.

Just leave it off. And program button 3 to something else.

Quote:
Low lux is a waste of time - all it does it turn the gain to sometihng like +30db and slows the shutter to something like 1/15 sec - so everything is jerking and the gain-noise is not really acceptable to me.

I am just using it in normal manual mode 1/50 shutter f1.8.

In low light its the same as normal light - since the frame rate and shutter speeds dont change - jsut the gain.

All my comments are with LOLUX off - i tried it on for 5 mins then decided its not a function I would use.

I will, later, shoot some night footage and post it on vimeo - I know thats what everyone wants to see - I will not colour or gamma correct it - I will post it as it came out of the cam.

be prepared to be impressed :)
David Bankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
put some quick shots on now ... believe me the footage looks better than on you tube but gives you an idea. (you tube seems to be jello-camming the file but beleive me it was steady and crisp before youtube messed with it!)

I shot this today quickly all handheld on full auto - ND set to on

and now on vimeo too

JVC GY-HM100 sample footage on Vimeo
Hi Matt,

can you confirm that the original footage - the slow pan from 0:07 to 0:13 - is originally displayed for you without any stuttering?

Erich

still on Panny HDC-SD100, looking out for better
Erich Gabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
The 18db gain is fantastic - so much less noise than the 9db gain on my EX1
This camera is about 1 'notch' less sharp than the EX1 but the images are above what I had expected.
I think if you start comparing EX1 and HM100, you have to have HM100 set up to 12db to have the same light as EX1 with zero gain.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

No strap!

I got my GY-HM100 and realised that ... there's no strap!

:-(

I have been so used to carrying my cams strapped to my shoulders, it's going to take some getting used to.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems