Still no HM100 in the US? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Still no HM100 in the US?

Does anybody in the US have them in stock yet? I have an order with BH but no dice so far. Also: Does anybody know what the difference between the US model and the European model is?
Thanks,
Matthias
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Trustee

I compared the specs page on the two models, and it appeared there were no differences, except in the order details were listed.

It seems the only difference is the markings, the manual, etc. I don't know if there is any recording capability on the camera that would have to be disabled for European import. (i.e. some feature that has tax on it causing two product numbers and price levels like with the HD100.)

I also had an order with B&H, but since I needed the camera this coming week and for some reason JVC is silent on actual release date in the U.S., I canceled the order. I believe I may still buy the camera, but I will wait until it is actually released. and we see how it works out in the real world.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Krause View Post
Does anybody in the US have them in stock yet? I have an order with BH but no dice so far. Also: Does anybody know what the difference between the US model and the European model is?
Thanks,
Matthias
When did you place your order at BH? I placed mine on 4/25.
Elvis Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Trustee

I pre-ordered (and paid) the HM100 from B&H on January 30. I canceled the order this week.

I suppose its normal for JVC to keep everything secret from end users, but I am surprised that the dealers don't have any info about when the cameras will actually be available.

Wednesday B&H was still saying the end of April, which obviously is past... unless its April 2010.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Major Player

I put my order in even before Jack...
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Krause View Post
I put my order in even before Jack...
When you do get it post an update since you will probably be one of the first.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Major Player

I just checked with BH and they say they expect a shipment by the end of the week. Donīt know how reliable that information is though...
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Major Player

B&H has them now

B&H has them now, I just ordered one, to arrive on Thursday, whoopee!
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Tapeworks Texas Inc has inventory available with a sell price of $3495.00
Please contact us Toll Free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Finally my order got shipped out too. Should be here on Friday, if UPS doesnīt screw things up...
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I got mine this morning and I am really impressed. It was smaller than I thought it would be but the image quality was higher then I thought it would be. Very nice and wonderful. The shotgun mic is alright but the preamps in the camera are pretty good so adding a nicer mic will really make it great. I have only played with it for a few hours and it will take a few real jobs to really understand it but so far it is great.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #12
New Boot

I held one in my hands this morning. Texas Media Systems has a few in stock here in Austin Texas.

Check out my blog to see some pictures:
The JVC GY-HM100 & JVC GY-HM700 | The MindWarp Blog
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Major Player

I just got it this morning, shipped overnight from B&H.

So far my initial impressions:

Actually a bit bigger than I thought, but much lighter than I thought it would be, a little over 2 lbs, so that's nice.

Of course the main reason I got this camera is the CCD sensors (no jellocam like my EX1) So my main opinion of the camcorder will be the image quality, which I don't know yet because I haven't shot anything with it yet.

A couple things I don't like so far - Zoom rocker is cheezy and the zoom behavior isn't as smooth as I want, no histogram, display has a lot of info I don't need, or nothing, no exposure percentage area, no continuous aperture control (it's a little up/down switch), the LCD could be higher res, no magnified focus helper.

Thinks I do like: Seems fairly ergonomic, overall feels solid but not too heavy, like the hood and the bayonet works without having to separately unscrew something, it twists off but also seems solid, the focus assist is kind of cool, makes everything black and white except for the in-focus peaking.

I'll have more comments later. The 2 things that made me want this camera: The CCD Sensors, and the XDCAM EX codec workflow -- even easier than the EX1, can drag and drop into FCP! (haven't tried it yet but I think it will work fine). As long as the image is acceptable everything else is gravy.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Tapeworks Texas Inc has inventory available with a sell price of $3495.00
Please contact us Toll Free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Picked my GY-Hm 100 up today from Tapeworks Texas thanks Scott..
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Major Player

Attn: owners

For the 5 or so people in the world who now own the HM100...would you say the "performance per pound" (PPP) of this camera is unmatched by any other camera, bar none? I'm willing to put up with some quirky stuff like the iris being controlled by a wheel on the rear and the focus ring being an infinite spin if its image is amazing. Or do you think the Scarlet will blow this camera out of the water with the PPP equation above?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems