Heading for a system overhaul: GY-HM100 vs HD 200UB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Heading for a system overhaul: GY-HM100 vs HD 200UB

Hi,
I am relatively new to this site so forgive me if I am posting similar questions as I learn and go along. I'm getting stuck with a decision between these two cameras. I need to upgrade my whole system. I've been working primarily in 16mm and having all work telecined to DV for NLE editing. I am very connected to the idea of having tape backup and have been leaning strongly toward the HD200UB because of the lens but perhaps am just too old school? I shoot primarily on my own, documentary and art/independent work and like to have as much manual control as possible (my 16mm background shows). I am a small person, so portability is also key, but not at the expense of a good image. The price range of either of the cameras (HM100 or HD 200UB) is basically what I can do right now and I am seeking advice on which one makes the most sense and what might be the pros and cons of these cameras for the work I described above. I really enjoy reading the list and appreciate everyone's detailed input.
Thanks
Jenny
J.L. Perlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Trustee

I would say these cameras are so different from one another that to make suggestions it is necessary to know the type of shooting you will do.

The first difference that is important is that the HD200 is an on the shoulder camera, full manual lens, and the HM100 has auto features (though can be used in manual mode to a lesser extent than the 200) and is comparatively tiny.

The stock lens on the 200 is very limiting. A lens upgrade might be necessary for your use.

However, what kind of shooting will you do. What scope of lens views (wide angle, telephoto, etc.) do you need? Do you shoot on a tripod, off the shoulder or running around lightweight hand held, for example?

If you want tape, depending on how you will shoot, the HD200 still may not be the best choice... that is, the Canon XH-A1 might better fit your style of shooting, for example.

Anyway, can you give more specific info on how/what you will shoot?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Camera confusion continued

Hi,
Thanks for your response. What I shoot: documentary-style pieces, short independent films for festivals and the work is also shown in galleries and art museums. So far I have always shot and edited everything myself. I will be making an independent (very independent) art feature this coming year. I do film actors on set and in locations in NYC (for my projects). I am not doing commercial work with the camera. I almost always use a tripod (another question that I thought I had resolved but maybe not) and very occasionally hand-held. I do travel (mostly to Europe) to do filming and will be heading there in July to do a project. I am interested in a camera that can deliver images that look like my 24fps camera and could be mixed with the telecined 16mm footage, and where the upgrade of my editing system will not make me completely nuts. People have recommended the JVC 200UB because it's so solid and is based at 24fps (forgive me if I get the tech terms wrong). But I am open to other things. My main concern about the JVC is the weight and whether or not it's just too huge for my real needs. It wouldn't make sense to have this fantastic camera but to wind up not using it for whatever reason. I expect that whatever I buy I will have around for a long time, so it needs to be something where I can really put together a system that will last. I have $10000 total but that also includes tripod and a new computer, etc.
Your advice is very welcomed! Thanks
Jenny
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
New Boot

one other question: Panasonic HVX200A

Hi, I am also wondering about the HVX200A. This looks like an amazing camera and perhaps would be a better choice than the JVC or Canon? PLease let me know your thoughts. Sorry I am a bit all over the place.
Jenny
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

35mm Adapter and HM100

How about a Letus Mini and HM100? You can use the light weight of the HM100 when you need it or use the Letus to use big lenses and get shallow depth of field when you need that.

Letus35 Mini*::*Letus Adapters*::*LetusDirect
Elvis Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Major Player

I just go the hm700

The JVC HM 700 is a great camera comes with a fuji 17-1 lens far better the the onw the comes with the HD 200 ub . The 700 is a better camera never technology and its tapeless technology is amazing. I would never get a tape camera again. You can get the camera and a macboook for less than 10,000 or so

my 2cents

Doug
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems