Decent mic for the HM100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm going to order the Audio Technica AT875R for my HM100. Is there anything else I need to order at the same time? Will it fit into the Hm100 mic holder? or a Cable?

Many thanks!
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
I'm going to order the Audio Technica AT875R for my HM100. Is there anything else I need to order at the same time? Will it fit into the Hm100 mic holder? or a Cable?

Many thanks!
If you are going to be outside, you might consider a wind cover. I have the Koala Mini-Max, size 120 as I mention in a different post in this thread. This cover fits over the foam cover that comes with the mic. There are other options for wind protection (e.g. Rycote), but I don't know what size or type is available.

A short cable with right-angle connectors works well with the small cameras. Here is an example:
Remote Audio | 3-Pin XLR Angled Male to XLR | REM CAXJ12RTMF
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Anyone have a pic of the AT875 mounted on the HM100?

Also what length XLR are you guys running? Would that right angled XLR be much of help?
Brandon Puet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

A little late on this thread, but I purchased the hm 100 (great camcorder), and purchased the AT 875 a couple days later. The mic fits perfectly in the shock mount, though I think I need to build my own o-ring shock mount, the mic picks up too much handling noise. Anyway, the stock AT cable is way too long for my liking, so I bought a straight Neutrik plug, right-angled plug, and a Canare mic cable.

Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #20
Regular Crew

hmm, i don't think it is letting me post pictures because I am new, here are the links.

Old September 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Sam

Nice cable, what's the length of the cable? I'm using a short one hand-made one too. I haven't experienced the handling noise but I haven't used it all that much. The AT875 seems to be a really nice mic for the price, quite a bargain and quite compact.

How would you go a about adding more shock mounting to the HM100?

I also picked up some fur windcovers from 'thewindcutter.com' they have a softie cover that slips pretty snugly over the stock AT foam cover and works very well. They also have clever stick-on windscreens that go over the on-camera mics, quite effective when you don't want the bulk of the handle/audio unit on the HM100 but want some sound (in the wind).
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #22
Regular Crew

From one end of the plug to the other end, the cable is around 9.5 inches. You haven't noticed much handling noises? When I plug in my in-ear-monitors to the headphone jack, man every bit of camcorder handling is registered. Are you using a right angled xlr plug with your cable? It is SO much cleaner that way.

For the shock mount, I thought about the Rode SM5 SM5 Rode SM-5 Suspension Shock Mount with Ring Clamp Adapter for NT3, NT4, NT5, NT55, NTG-1, NTG-2, and NTG-3 Microphones , however I cannot justify the $50 in price when it can be done diy. So I am going for an attempt using some filter rings (filter without the glass), cutting, gluing, and o-rings.

I'd love to get some furry windcovers, but haven't been able to find them in Hong Kong yet, and I don't want to pay for overseas shipping from the US. Right now though a better shock mount is my main priority.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #23
Tourist

Just ordered the AT875R

Just ordered one from B&H. Love the Cable as well. Was wondering if you had considered going with two right angles XLR adapters? I'm going to try to rig one up and I'll post picts as soon as it arrives. Has anyone gotten good setting recommendations for the Sennheiser 100 ew G3s? I seem to be all over the place and it's been hit or miss. Thanks for the great recommendations. Cheers
Han Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #24
New Boot

Hi all,

I have been following this thread with interest as I have to film the kids school play in a couple of weeks so that the parents can have a copy of the resulting DVD. Options for sound etc., are very limited so I will be restricted to on-cam options. The audio technica sounds ideal for the task (will be about 10 metres or so from the stage) but can I ask someone to please explain:

1, More about the fit so that the mic uses the existing mount - or do I have to use other options?

2, The XLR lead - was wondering why the existing one can't be used? The discussion about making your own lead - is this because the one that comes with the audio technica is too long?

Any other tips gratefully received!

Thanks, Mike
Michael Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Pad

Hi All;
I have two cameras with AT875 Mics on them. It is a responsive mic and gives great performance. One problem I am seeing is with loud venues, like a concert. The mic is so hot that I have to turn the Volume pots down to almost 1 or 2 too avoid peaking. At this low range, the response curve is really tight and difficult to adjust.

It would be great to have a cable with a -10db pad built into it. This way the pots could be operated in the mid-range where the best adjustment is possible.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Tak View Post
Just ordered one from B&H. Love the Cable as well. Was wondering if you had considered going with two right angles XLR adapters? I'm going to try to rig one up and I'll post picts as soon as it arrives. Has anyone gotten good setting recommendations for the Sennheiser 100 ew G3s? I seem to be all over the place and it's been hit or miss. Thanks for the great recommendations. Cheers
Hello there, I thought about using two right angle, but it wouldn't work well and be a hard fit, with no real benefit, so here is the new cable I've made a couple months ago.

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mackay View Post
Hi all,

I have been following this thread with interest as I have to film the kids school play in a couple of weeks so that the parents can have a copy of the resulting DVD. Options for sound etc., are very limited so I will be restricted to on-cam options. The audio technica sounds ideal for the task (will be about 10 metres or so from the stage) but can I ask someone to please explain:

1, More about the fit so that the mic uses the existing mount - or do I have to use other options?

2, The XLR lead - was wondering why the existing one can't be used? The discussion about making your own lead - is this because the one that comes with the audio technica is too long?

Any other tips gratefully received!

Thanks, Mike
The AT mic fits perfectly into the hm100 mount, however, be careful when handling because the mic will pick up anything such as using the rocker zoom etc.

The cable that comes with the AT mic works perfectly, I am just picky, like to do-it-yourself, so I decided to make my own cable that is cleaner and better looking. It is purely a cosmetics thing. :)
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #28
Tourist

Your Absolutely Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Young View Post
Hello there, I thought about using two right angle, but it wouldn't work well and be a hard fit, with no real benefit, so here is the new cable I've made a couple months ago.

Thanks so much Sam. I got all the connectors and was ready to solder and came to the same realization. Thanks for sharing. That is a great looking cable. I'm going to follow suit and copy yours exactly. Thanks for sharing.

Also have to say that I'm very impressed with this mic.
Han Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Glad I was of help! Good luck on your cable. For the right angle, I used the Neutrik NC3MRC right angle plug: Neutrik NC3MRC Right Angle Male XLR Connector from zZounds.com

As you can see in the picture below, the circular 3 prong connector (the thing the wires are connected to) is free from the actual housing, so I rotated the the round connector to the correct orientation below. Works out very well.
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Young View Post
The AT mic fits perfectly into the hm100 mount, however, be careful when handling because the mic will pick up anything such as using the rocker zoom etc.
Hi Sam,

Many thanks for this - if the mic picks up handling noise like this then would you say it is a show-stopper? I wanted to see LANC support but the cam obviously does not have this therefore I can see lots more use of the rocker switch for zoom etc., but will this mean every action will be recorded?

Thanks again, Mike
Michael Mackay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems