Getting ready to buy the JVC GY-HM100U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Regular Crew

alternatives

Did you consider the Panasonic HMC150 or Sony Z7 as alternatives? Have you had any issues with manual control of iris or shutter? Is the zoom smooth? Is low-light shooting quiet at 9, 18 db? Is the lens wide enough? Is the codec comparable with AVC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Krause View Post
Get Transcend cards,they are cheaper and just as good and there are some descend third party batteries out there. Are you sure that you will keep your cam for at least three years? How long did you keep your last cam? I feel that these warranties are a waste of money especially with the market changing so fast. But maybe thatīs just me.
John Markert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi John,

yes I consider a few other camera mostly Sony and Canon but not panasonic.
Actually I was going to get the EX1 but when the HM100 came out I decided to go with JVC.
For me manual control is fine takes a while to get use to the small ring in the back of the camera. Some people are not crazy about the zoom for me it's fine. I always shoot at 0db
to get the best image possible I haven't really messed with gain much so I can't say. I've never used AVC codec so I can't compare sorry. Hope this helps. Putting aside all the faults
that some have mention on this forum this camera can produce some incredible images.

Last edited by Kajito Nagib; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I rented a HMC150. Loved the camera, controls etc. Picture is good, not razor sharp, but I like 720p and its 720p is very good. It is much larger than the HM100 though.

I bought the HM100 due to the size. I just can not take the HMC150 around with me like I can the HM100. The HM100 720p is a little sharper in my opinion. The 1080i on HM100 is good, but I found if you lower the sharpening by -6 or so, 1080i looks much cleaner.

I like the controls better on the HMC150, but you can do almost the same with the HM100.
The zoom ring is not smooth, as it is a servo, but I use the ring mostly for focus, and that works good.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems