DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Getting ready to buy the JVC GY-HM100U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/236422-getting-ready-buy-jvc-gy-hm100u.html)

Kajito Nagib May 30th, 2009 07:16 PM

Getting ready to buy the JVC GY-HM100U

Well I finally decided to go with the JVC HM100. The Sony EX1 was my first choice but the HM100 with it's light weight, inexpensive SDHC card won me over. There are a few draw backs with this camera but for the time being I can live with it.
Other items I will be purchasing is the JVC BN-VF823 Battery Pack, Hoya 46mm Introductory Filter Kit, NEW 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan and Delkin 2 X 16GB PRO Secure Digital (SDHC) Card ($44.95 each)

I will also buy a shotgun mic at some point (either Rode NTG-1 or AT875) but first I want to hear what the JVC mic sounds like to be able to compare. (unsure about the shockmount maybe Azden SMH-1) For the time being I will hold off on the tripod but if you can recommend anything for this particular camera I would appreciate it. I'd like to thank everyone for your input, footage and reviews on the JVC HM100 it helped me make an inform decision.

Shaun Walker May 30th, 2009 07:24 PM

Quick bits ...

Gotta get back to work, but ...

- I would at least get a smallish tripod (or even a table top one, or jumbo Gorilla pod) for starters ... Bogen 3221 legs with 501HDV head at a minimum?
I'm probably getting a solid Libec H28 head and versatile 10-67" Bogen 535 carbon legs w/ 75mm bowl -- 9 pounds total and should put the lens 73" high or so when needed.

- The Rode shockmount seems good, why are you thinking the Axden one instead?

Matthias Krause May 30th, 2009 07:26 PM

Get Transcend cards,they are cheaper and just as good and there are some descend third party batteries out there. Are you sure that you will keep your cam for at least three years? How long did you keep your last cam? I feel that these warranties are a waste of money especially with the market changing so fast. But maybe thatīs just me.

Kaushik Parmar May 30th, 2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 1151049)
Well I finally decided to go with the JVC HM100. The Sony EX1 was my first choice but the HM100 with it's light weight, inexpensive SDHC card won me over. There are a few draw backs with this camera but for the time being I can live with it.
Other items I will be purchasing is the JVC BN-VF823 Battery Pack, Hoya 46mm Introductory Filter Kit, NEW 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan and Delkin 2 X 16GB PRO Secure Digital (SDHC) Card ($44.95 each)

I will also buy a shotgun mic at some point (either Rode NTG-1 or AT875) but first I want to hear what the JVC mic sounds like to be able to compare. (unsure about the shockmount maybe Azden SMH-1) For the time being I will hold off on the tripod but if you can recommend anything for this particular camera I would appreciate it. I'd like to thank everyone for your input, footage and reviews on the JVC HM100 it helped me make an inform decision.

Go ahead Man! You are lucky!

If you do not mind I would suggest you, do not buy any accessories like Hoya or any kind of. Go for only genuine accessories, you can buy those from here: JVC Official Store - Purchase genuine JVC accessories and much more -

And go for 32GB card. JVC BN-VF823 is very good battery, I have two with me I am using it for my JVC GZ-HD7, running very well. So two extra battery and one external charger is must. And yes, do not go for extended warranty, I would suggest you just buy simple box nothing else, no added accessories!

All the best and congratulation in advance.

Kaushik

Kajito Nagib May 30th, 2009 09:36 PM

Shaun I'm saving to buy a really good tripod by the end of this year probably the Miller DS-10 or 20 but for now I will use the crappy $50 tripod I have buried in my closet...don't laugh it's better than nothing but I'll look into the Bogen thanks.
Matthias I checked out the Transcend website I didn't see 32GB SDHC cards I'll goggle it to see if I can get it somewhere else for less. If you know where I can get SDHC cards for cheap could you please provide me with the link?

I have no idea if I will keep the HM100 for the next 3 years I hope so but from past experience I have used and abused every camera that I've own and I've learn many times the hard way that hardware devices break down sooner or later so better to be safe than sorry. I do plan to get a second camera next year and keep this one for my travel videos or as a B camera. Hopefully Sony or someone else will come out with a similar camera with better manual control better manual adjustment interface and better low light performance. Kaushik I didn't see the Ultraviolet Haze Glass on JVC website unless I missed it:-( If you have the link can you send it to me?
Hey everyone thanks again for your input.

Kajito Nagib May 30th, 2009 09:41 PM

found this.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...741415&sr=1-13
I just notice that Panasonic is charging around $273 for a 32GB SDHC card.
Is there a parity check or checksum to protect the data similar to Sony SXS memory card with the panasonic card to justify the price?

Matthias Krause May 30th, 2009 10:17 PM

Transcend through Amazon worked for me. It is still a lot cheaper to buy two 16GB cards than one 32 GB. And I donīt like the idea of putting all eggs in one basket anyway.

Kajito Nagib May 31st, 2009 12:41 AM

I will probably buy 2 16GB at B&H and wait for the 32GB cards to equal or cost less than 2 16GB cards before buying them. I think I'll get the Hoya 46mm Ultraviolet Haze Glass filter for now ($ 13.35) just to protect the lens from scratches. I'll see if JVC has a UV filter for the HM100 if not what other quality filter could you recommend?

Shaun Walker May 31st, 2009 01:28 AM

- multicoated -

I'd make sure whatever filter you get is multicoated -- the higher quality the better, but Hoya is quite good and Tiffen/B&W/etc. are even a little better, supposedly, but seem overpriced, esp. when it matters much more that you keep your filter as clean and pristine as possible than any slight difference in coatings or quality of glass.
Perhaps buy a moderately priced filter so that if it does get nicked/scratched up, you won't be reluctant to buy an new/pristine one. These little cameras with little sensors have too much depth of field to be OK with filter issues, at least at or near wide angle.

Elvis Ripley May 31st, 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 1151049)
I will also buy a shotgun mic at some point (either Rode NTG-1 or AT875) but first I want to hear what the JVC mic sounds like to be able to compare. (unsure about the shockmount maybe Azden SMH-1)

If you get the Rode NTG-1 before the 1st you can get a free shockmount at most places, Sweetwater is one that I saw. Also if you buy the Rode Blimp you can get a free bag and boom pole.

Kajito Nagib May 31st, 2009 02:09 PM

Elvis I'm going to hold off for a while but thanks
for the tip. I've been doing business with sweetwater for
many years they're great.
I Just got back from B&H. My camera will be shipped
from their warehouse tomorrow since they don't have
the camera in stock. Anyway they waived the shipping fee
for me and told me that I should have it by Tuesday can't
wait. Sales guy told me the HM100 was selling like hot cakes.

Shaun Walker June 1st, 2009 11:53 AM

I'm surprisingly good reviews on the AT875 mic, and I love that it's about 3" shorter than the Rode short shotguns and the Sennheiser ME66 set ups ... I think I'll get one for now and then get a VERY highly rated Rode NTG-3 for when I get truly serious and want even better sound.

Kajito Nagib June 6th, 2009 09:39 PM

I went out today for the first time to play around with my new camera. The HM100 is actually lighter than I thought. For such a little camera I was very impressed with the images it produced. The LCD is nice, not thrilling but nice. My only complaint other than the LCD is that the camera came with a small minor defect. When viewing the video on my monitor I noticed a small white spot which keeps blinking. I plan on calling B&H tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement if not then Monday I'll call JVC.

Kaushik Parmar June 6th, 2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 1155086)
I went out today for the first time to play around with my new camera. The HM100 is actually lighter than I thought. For such a little camera I was very impressed with the images it produced. The LCD is nice, not thrilling but nice. My only complaint other than the LCD is that the camera came with a small minor defect. When viewing the video on my monitor I noticed a small white spot which keeps blinking. I plan on calling B&H tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement if not then Monday I'll call JVC.

Off coure you will get replacement, and you must repalce it! When you are going to put some clips!

Kaushik

Kajito Nagib June 6th, 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar (Post 1155089)
Off coure you will get replacement, and you must repalce it! When you are going to put some clips!

Kaushik

As soon as I get a replacement:-)