DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Affordable editing software for HM100 files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/236540-affordable-editing-software-hm100-files.html)

Shaun Walker June 1st, 2009 04:37 PM

Affordable editing software for HM100 files?

Hopefully Final Cut Express with an add-on or two will work on my Core2Duo MacBook, but ...

What is there that's cheaper than Final Cut Studio that will edit .mov HM100 files if not Final Cut Express 4 on an Intel machine?
(waiting for FCS vers 3, Snow Leopard, and $$$ -- Though I do realize FCS is incredibly cheap for what it does)

And cheaper than Premiere, or would Premiere even work with HM100 files of any kind?

OR ... What can I use to convert the files and then take them into my FCE 4?

Robert Rogoz June 1st, 2009 11:07 PM

I am sure Final Cut Express can handle .mov files generated by HM100. As far as machine goes you might consider an older G5 for time being and then buy something newer. I know I was able to edit downloadable samples on my G5, before I sold it. I am sure Macbook can handle most of editing, however I don't know about Motion. I don't think FCE is a bad program and you'll transition easily into FCS. You can get FCE4 on ebay for less then 200 bucks.

Shaun Walker June 2nd, 2009 01:54 PM

Oh thanks, good to know.

I'll skip the G5 almost for sure, though, as Snow Leopard and thus the new Final Cut Studio will supposedly be Intel processor ONLY.

Robert Rogoz June 2nd, 2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Walker (Post 1152997)
Oh thanks, good to know.

I'll skip the G5 almost for sure, though, as Snow Leopard and thus the new Final Cut Studio will supposedly be Intel processor ONLY.

Unless they provide support for blu-ray I don't think it will make sense to upgrade or buy Final Cut Studio 3.

Shaun Walker June 2nd, 2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1153002)
Unless they provide support for blu-ray I don't think it will make sense to upgrade or buy Final Cut Studio 3.

I feel that way about getting a new or refurb Mac/MacBook Pro, too ... use Blu-ray, Apple, dammit.
But good point about the same with FCS, esp. with the high upgrade costs and the fact that I won't even be using much of its capabilities.

What are you using now and how slow/fast does it feel?

Robert Rogoz June 2nd, 2009 10:33 PM

Shaun, I sold my G5 mostly because I needed laptop and I could not effort both. I am using Macbook Pro 15" with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD. I don't think it's much faster them my older G5, as it had 4 GB RAM and 2 HDD (420GB). I most definitely miss my 23" monitor, but I am bouncing between where I live and Seattle. I'll be on a road a lot and I have to have a laptop.
Apple announced they will not support BD, so I hardly see a point to upgrade the system and the software. The current FCP6 works with the setup I have. It completely supports HM100 workflow, so why bother spending cash on a few extra bells and whistles. As the matter of fact Compressor in FCS2 is a nightmare compared to the previous version, so some of the stuff is actually a step back imo.