How to label a SDHC card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Major Player

How to label a SDHC card

I am wondering how to go about labeling a SDHC card. I thought I could keep the cards for different projects separated but that isn't going so well. There is no space to write on the cards. I don't know what pens I can use to write on the cards. Can you write on the hard plastic part or do you have to find a spot on the label. I was just thinking about writing a letter on the back on one. I don't know what do you guys think?
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've written numbers on the back (non-label) side of SD cards using a fine-point _silver_ sharpie (much more visible than black when writing on a blue card).

There are various SD card wallets / storage cases out there for multiple cards... you could number each card and then keep an index on a piece of paper or large label in the storage case.

But a more important question: Has anyone done a serious study of the shelf life of data stored on SD/SDHC cards? (As compared to archiving on hard drives, DVD-R, etc.)
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I might start using sharpie dots/dashes and maybe three letter codes or probably just dates for simple organizational labeling -- will work especially well on the whitish Delkin 16GB Class 6 cards I just got. The push-button topped sharpie will be handy for quick field labeling.

- different numbers of dots ... 060509 *, 060509 **, etc.?

- different colors? (red dash will mean card full??)

- then promptly put the cards for each project in a card-organizing page in a binder or at first in a sturdy/protective card wallet stored safely in zipped pants/shorts pocket?

- back up to Firewire bus-powered miniRAID in the field after downloading to laptop
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Major Player

labels generally aren't recommended, but the thin plastic labels printed with my brother labelmaker fit very neatly into the indent of the card, and I feel good about them.
Just make sure they are trimmed to fit, and keep an eye out for lifted edges.

fine point sharpie makes sense though...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems