What do you seek in a step up from the HM100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you seek in a step up from the HM100?

If you could take the JVC HM100's image quality and XDCAM EX SD-card recording and get it built-in to one current prosumer camcorder tomorrow, which camera would you choose and why?

Personally, I'd like to see better main controls, better OIS, and wider and longer zoom as on Sony's Z5 and Z7. I was drooling over the lens rings/feel, sturdy zoom rocker, and things like focus pull preset buttons on top and on-handle controls on my friend's Z7, but I like my HM100 far better for recording quality and SD media for sure, though.
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
New Boot

How about larger chips and more internal ND with the small/neat HM100 form factor?
Paul Miley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Improvements I would like

I have taken delivery of 2 only HM100 units and used them for a week. The first thing that must be fixed is the zoom. The ring control is flaky and the remote IR control zoom only has one speed (full on). The bad zoom implementation should not have gotten past the first design, it's a real show stopper for pro use. The next thing that has to be addressed is the addition of a LANC connector. Every pro uses the camera on a tripod, crane, or steady cam and needs to have remote control capability with full speed control of the zoom. If these two items were addressed this would be an ideal camera for me.

I have purchased a TOS cable and use it with the IR control to obtain some semblance of remote control but it is an imperfect solution. If JVC would give me a software upgrade to set the max speed for the zoom, this would help a lot when I use the camera on a crane, at least I could pull a decent zoom.

I find that 1920x1080 30P is not great with any type of motion, it blurs a lot and footage is not useable. For use with movement I am now using 1080 60I which give good results.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

YES, a firmware update adding the ability to set one of several fixed, slower zoom speeds would be a wonderful update and something that should have been there since DAY ONE.

But getting back to the question I asked, roughly ...
Who currently has the key features like that and a well-implemented variable zoom rocker in a sub-$5,000 camera now, one that perhaps will be replaced with a competitor for the HM100.
Who has the solid finesse/pro-oriented controls, more effective OIS for run-n-gun, and other key featured cameras now that might be transformed into an HM100-beater?
Z5U and A1s seem to be likely candidates, but I can't try them in this small town, or more aggressively priced new little EX? ... Think it will be before NAB or much earlier? ... I'm unfamiliar with product update cycles and timelines in this realm, though I do like how frequently Sony cranks interesting cameras out compared to Canon.
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5
New Boot

my improvments

Hello: i agree with the lanc, and better OIS for the JVC.
also i will be happty with software upgrade which will include:
1. Exposure indicatores like precent marker, and Histogram.
2. Interval shooting.
3. Focus and Zoom display parameters.

I'm very Happy with the picture quality, but i'ts true that the 25P also have motion blur, and i'm suffering from the lack of lanc control because i'm using shoulder rig.
Amos Rafaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
New Boot

Yet another a simple but significant improvement for software update - "start" button should memorize the pressing and camera must act on it as soon as possible. Today it just skips my pressing if it does something insignificant like showing "check lens cover" message.

Or it may be just my Canon habits and nobody has a problem with it? I shot actions and my head is busy with other stuff like positioning/zooming/audio then I hope I have started a recording...
Leonid Yegoshin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems