DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Lens questions (HM100) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/238512-lens-questions-hm100.html)

John McDonald July 6th, 2009 08:26 AM

Lens questions (HM100)

Please excuse the basic nature of these questions! I need to but quite a lot of kit in the next 3 weeks and am hoping to do so without any expensive mistakes ;-)

Question 1.
I have a HM100 and will buy a JVC GLV0746 wide angle lens. Fitting this to the HM100 means you need to take the sun hood off.

As I shoot mostly outdoors in hot sunny climates, is it possible to get a sunhood or similar that can be used when the JVC wide angle is fitted? Or are ND filters the only answer?

I'm guessing there are solutions, but I need something small and easy to use when hand held (think of lots of getting in and out of a vehicle to shoot a few minutes each time).

Question 2:
When using the wide angle lens with various filters (ND etc) is is best to leave them on the 46mm camera thread, or put them on the wide angle lens? (I would need to have a UV lens on the wide angle for protection anyway).

Thanks in advance...

Robert Rogoz July 6th, 2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McDonald (Post 1167792)
Question 1.
I have a HM100 and will buy a JVC GLV0746 wide angle lens. Fitting this to the HM100 means you need to take the sun hood off.

As I shoot mostly outdoors in hot sunny climates, is it possible to get a sunhood or similar that can be used when the JVC wide angle is fitted? Or are ND filters the only answer?

Yes, you'll need to take the sun hood off. Sun hood doesn't change the amount of light going through your lens. It protects from glare caused by light from above or the side. There is no front thread on the wide lens, so you'll have to rig something to work as your sun shade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McDonald (Post 1167792)
Question 2:
When using the wide angle lens with various filters (ND etc) is is best to leave them on the 46mm camera thread, or put them on the wide angle lens? (I would need to have a UV lens on the wide angle for protection anyway).

Thanks in advance...

You'll have to leave the filter on the lens. There is no front end thread. This is my biggest gripe about this cam- 39-390mm lens. I can live with a lot of limitations of the unit, but this is silly. So either you'll have to find a bayonet filter or glue a filter to the front.

Robert Rogoz July 8th, 2009 02:49 PM

I also wanted to add 2 things. First of all over 200 bucks for JVC lens is out of hand. They are reusing same lens from GZ-HD7, so it can't have some superior glass or anything like that. I purchased brand new Nikon WC-E68 (0.68x) for under 40 USD. I bet it produces better results then the lens from JVC for a quarter of the cost and it is zoom through. It has 46mm thread, so it will screw right in. I wish this camera had 28-280 mm lens instead of 39-390 mm. It would solve the need for more or less useless lens converters.
I just ordered from ebay a square hood to glue on the converter, I will let you know how it works. I am afraid it might obstruct part of the frame, but I will not know unless I try. So far I could not find a mattebox to fit onto the attachment lens without a rail system.

Keith Moreau July 9th, 2009 07:18 PM

For somewhat static shots I use something called a 'flarebuster'. It' is a little flexible arm that mounts in the hot shoe and holds a black plastic card. It's not as good as a hood for stray light from the side but for shots where you might be facing the sun or a flare-inducing light source it's really convenient.

It's kind of 'cheap' both in construction and price but suitable and works well with the HM100. It's also easy to misplace, I've already lost and replaced one.

I'm still searching for some suitable bayonet mounting system for the HM100. I started to make one myself but I got bogged down and haven't completed it. The problem, as I discussed with some adapter makers like Schneider, with the HM100 and bayonets is that the lens is inset so far down that even if someone develops a bayonet mount you have to get a fairly large adapter lens on it or you'll get vignetting. Or somehow make the adapter go down closer to the lens, like a funnel. And large adapters mean more weight, bulk, and cost, kind of defeating the purpose of the tiny, portable HM100.

At some point the cheap plastic 46mm threads on my HM100 will wear out, hopefully somebody will come out with a bayonet solution before that happens.

Kirsty Bond November 15th, 2011 02:11 PM

Re: Lens questions (HM100)

Hi. I am facing the same problem discussed here. Have just bought the Nikon WC-E68 Wide Lens for the JVC GY HM100 but am heading to Africa and I imagine shooting without a filter or a hood on it will be problematic in the bright sunshine. Has anyone come up with any good solutions they can recommend?
Is there a Bayonet available for it yet?
Thanks for your help!

Kirsty Bond November 16th, 2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1168970)
I also wanted to add 2 things. First of all over 200 bucks for JVC lens is out of hand. They are reusing same lens from GZ-HD7, so it can't have some superior glass or anything like that. I purchased brand new Nikon WC-E68 (0.68x) for under 40 USD. I bet it produces better results then the lens from JVC for a quarter of the cost and it is zoom through. It has 46mm thread, so it will screw right in. I wish this camera had 28-280 mm lens instead of 39-390 mm. It would solve the need for more or less useless lens converters.
I just ordered from ebay a square hood to glue on the converter, I will let you know how it works. I am afraid it might obstruct part of the frame, but I will not know unless I try. So far I could not find a mattebox to fit onto the attachment lens without a rail system.

Hi Robert. Could you please let me know if it worked (glueing a square hood on to the converter). I have the same Nikon WC-E68 and would like advice on what sort/size hood I would buy and any tips on glueing it.
Thanks!

Lee Mullen November 16th, 2011 08:20 PM

I cannot understand why people aren't considering this package? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729113-REG/JVC_HM100U169WC7X_Wide_Conversion_Lens_Package.html
OK it's more expensve but come with the lens hood. I'd like to buy this myself.

Kirsty Bond November 21st, 2011 06:46 AM

Thanks for suggesting that new wide angle from JVC with a front thread but unfortunately price is the barrier. Still interested to know if anyone else figured out a good alternative for a wide angle lens without front thread. thanks!

Keith Moreau November 21st, 2011 01:00 PM

On my wides that don't have a front thread, if I really need a thread, I slip on a step up ring where the diameter of the inner ring fits over the outside of the lens, then I tape it on, then I can put on additional hoods or filters, which is what I think you want to do.

Kirsty Bond November 21st, 2011 02:06 PM

Thanks Keith!

Kirsty Bond November 28th, 2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Moreau (Post 1698660)
On my wides that don't have a front thread, if I really need a thread, I slip on a step up ring where the diameter of the inner ring fits over the outside of the lens, then I tape it on, then I can put on additional hoods or filters, which is what I think you want to do.

Hi Keith
I am still waiting for my Nikon WC-E68 to arrive and meanwhile am trying to get everything else read that I need for a trip to Africa in a few weeks. Can you please tell me what sized step up ring I would need to follow your suggestion here? (I can't seem to find measurements online for the circumference of the front of the Nikon WC-E68). Thanks, appreciate your tips!

Lee Mullen December 14th, 2011 06:30 AM

The HM100U169WC7X lens kit arrived today and works nicely on the HM100. I also tried it on my Panasonic TD-900 and was surprised it works great on that too.