OK, What am I doing wrong?HM100U and Vegas9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old July 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OK, What am I doing wrong?HM100U and Vegas9

I usually provide audio services for press events for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation in Annapolis, MD. Yesterday I took my HM100U out on its maiden voyage. Shot the event and took the camera inside to transfer the clips from the SDHC card to their Mac. Copied the card to a folder on their hard drive. They were using iMovie to put together something for the web. They were able to see that something was transferred but the screen remained black with no sound.
Fortunately, they were not paying me for the video shoot. I just wanted to do a test run for the future. Put the card back into the camera and played back in the camera. Looked great and sounded great. Copied the contents of the card to my hard drive and tried to import the file into Vegas 9. Sound track showed up and sounds great but no video track shows up. Because the CBF uses Macs, FCP and iMovie, I shot the event in MOV not mp4.
What have I done wrong to not see the clips on either computer?

Last edited by Tracy Foust; July 8th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am 99% sure you need Final Cut Pro 6.02 or higher to read the MOV files.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Andy, Thanks for the response but.....

I should be able to open the MOV file in Vegas Pro 9. All I get is the audio track. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tracy
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

On a Mac you need the perian XDCAM codec.
Look on Tim Dashwoods Test thread here
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hm...-your-nle.html

On PC you can transcode your MP4/MOV to another .mpg-format to use
it on all PC, I transcoded 720p50 19 Mbs-footage, but that don`t work with
my FinalCutPro with Perian XDCAM-Codec, so I transcoded it to mpg (on my PC-Laptop)
and edit it after that transcoding in my FCP (on my Apple-mac), for the
picture-quality it might be not so good, but I don`t want to edit the material
in Standarddefinition, because the firewireout on the HM700 gives you only
SD not HD out.

Here is the link
http://www.mik-digital.de/tool/MP4toMPGv3.exe
You need to chose your footage-folder, after the target-folder and then press the third
button (on the right) to start transcoding.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Foust View Post
I usually provide audio services for press events for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation in Annapolis, MD. Yesterday I took my HM100U out on its maiden voyage. Shot the event and took the camera inside to transfer the clips from the SDHC card to their Mac. Copied the card to a folder on their hard drive. They were using iMovie to put together something for the web. They were able to see that something was transferred but the screen remained black with no sound.
Fortunately, they were not paying me for the video shoot. I just wanted to do a test run for the future. Put the card back into the camera and played back in the camera. Looked great and sounded great. Copied the contents of the card to my hard drive and tried to import the file into Vegas 9. Sound track showed up and sounds great but no video track shows up. Because the CBF uses Macs, FCP and iMovie, I shot the event in MOV not mp4.
What have I done wrong to not see the clips on either computer?
Are you using the log and transfer software for importing files into Final Cut ? it is available here. JVC Professional - Camcorder MDL101845
MP4 files can be accessed directly, using device explorer in Vegas 9. Simply copy the files from card to GDD using clip browser, open device explorer in Vegas and drag the clips to the timeline. Or alternatively, in device exlorer, navigateto the SDHC card and edit directly from it.
Sorry, I just realised, you are using mov files. I should read more carefully.

Last edited by Colin Rowe; July 12th, 2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: addition
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Are you using the log and transfer software for importing files into Final Cut ? it is available here. JVC Professional - Camcorder MDL101845
MP4 files can be accessed directly, using device explorer in Vegas 9. Simply copy the files from card to GDD using clip browser, open device explorer in Vegas and drag the clips to the timeline. Or alternatively, in device exlorer, navigateto the SDHC card and edit directly from it.
Sorry, I just realised, you are using mov files. I should read more carefully.
Colin,
I downloaded the demo from Calibrated Software and it allows me to view the MOV files in QuickTime for Windows. But in trying to convert to another format using the AVS4U Video Converter, I get an error message announcing "ACM Codec not installed". Any thoughts as to a resolution?
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Google for ACM codec, I believe it is an audio codec.Download and install. See if it solves the problem
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Colin
I transcoded some material on a pc with
http://www.mik-digital.de/tool/MP4toMPGv3.exe
and so I can import it - on pc-systems.
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Eric,
the MIK trans coder works great. Thanks a lot for the link. I can't believe my windows media player is playing the HD files now. Also am sure will be able to find dvd players that play these tans coded files to view my HD clips on. are you aware of a particular brand or model which might?
thanks
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I think the Western Digital Media Player
will be the right choice, I simply must test
this soon, because the WD Mediaplayer is the
best and cheapest way to view HD.
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
I think the Western Digital Media Player
will be the right choice, I simply must test
this soon, because the WD Mediaplayer is the
best and cheapest way to view HD.
The WD Media Player is a wonderful bit of kit. I take mine to shows and it plays back all day from a 16gb memory stick without missing a beat. I encode to H264 and the quality is amazing. Best purchase I have made in ages.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #12
New Boot

Vegas Pro 9a

New Vegas Pro 9a is issued by Sony. Many bugs are fixed.

I tried it and it works pretty fine with .MP4 from HM100. Moreover, a device explorer may now import clips from SDHC "en mass" - it shows all clips from SDHC and it is possible to import all of them by a single button press. Previously it was needed to browse SDHC directory structure one-by-one to extract multiple clips. The only disadvantage - it really copies files from SDHC to hard disk in this process to present it in project media window.

MOV still isn't supported by Vegas - video codec is absent. Needs a 3rd party codec like Calibrated but it works not very efficiently because it is not native for Vegas.
Leonid Yegoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Trustee

Tracy, the folks are right. Vegas does not support mov meant for FCP. Xcalibrated is about the only way to edit natively. But as Leonid had spoken, the editing will be choppy. I have verified this. I got ard the editing by converting the mov to mxf with FCP6.0.3 eventually.

Shoot in mp4 in the future and use Sony Clipbrowser 2.5. It works very well.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #14
New Boot

Sean, Tracy,

I ended with MP4 and Vegas 9a and use Vegas 9a native device extraction feature (sorry, I am away from V9a and don't remember an exact name of it). It localizes XDCAM files in "memory device" and copies it to hard disk and includes it in project media - all in once. Pretty simple, and NO conversion.

For XDCAM copy for archiving purpose I use JVC browser (from HM100 CD). It doesn't do any conversion as Sony Clipbrowser but it is not needed with Vegas 9a and it is pretty fast and and simple.
Leonid Yegoshin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems