HM100 recorded interlaced footage when in progressive mode - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old August 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #31
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
The camera DOES do 720P60...
My mistake – you are quite correct.

With regards reproducibility, I have gone through my footage again. I thought that it might be to do with changing the capture system from one mode to another but the evidence shows otherwise as I have only changed twice to 720 30p and then back to 1080 30p.

The interesting thing is the way that camera produces interlacing in one shot taken 1 minute after a normal progressive scan shot.

I use caps only to clearly mark the interlaced shots below:

1st batch of 4 shots - no interlacing . 1080 30p

2nd batch of 15 shots. First eight no interlacing and then on the next shot (with 1 minute gap between) I get INTERLACING which continues for the remaining 6 shots. All 1080 30p

3rd batch. 23 shots all progressive scan.

4th batch. 13 shots 1080 30p. the last shot has INTERLACING.

5th batch . A bunch of 720 30p with no interlacing

6th batch. 15 shots 1080 30p all INTERLACED.

Also I can confirm that QT Player shows that it considers the interlaced footage to be 1080 30p in Movie Inspector.

I can see no pattern here.

I will relay any information I get from from JVC.
Simon Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #32
JVC

New firmware has been posted on the JVC site. Please download and update your camera, and advise if the problem continues to exist.

JVC Professional Customer Support - Product Upgrades

Dave Walton
Asst. Vice President Marketing Communications
JVC U.S.A.
David Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #33
New Boot

Dave, many thanks for the firmware info. JVC have looked at sample footage and straight away said that they'd replace the camera. Thanks JVC – for the good service and customer support.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #34
Major Player

Weird, but a happy ending. (we hope) .

My experience their JVC's Pro-products customer service is very good. I emailed JVC once at midnight about a question and I got a phone call the next day from from their US lead tech support guy who left a message answering my question on my answering machine with his cell phone number if I had a follow up question. So we hope it's just some weird thing that was defective and that your replacement will cure your ills. But yeah.. it does sound bizzare. almost like a bug in the programming that the firmware update might have taken care of.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Simon, it's good that JVC replaced your camera! I have only just got the firmware update, but if I notice the problem continuing, I'm going to try and get a replacement also.

Btw, for those who asked, this issue, as I stated much earlier, was present in BOTH the 1080p25 and 1080p30 modes.
Anthony Shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #36
New Boot

Had this problem also

Hello
I had this problem also in 25P but only when shutter was in 25.

I want to understand, does they replace the camera if they see the problem?

thanks

Amos
Amos Rafaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #37
New Boot

Amos,

In my case the camera was with JVC and I sent an example file from the camera that displayed the problem. Better is to be able to give them the SD CARD with the original file(s) on as it also contains (xml data) files that have the clip settings info. And, in answer to your question, in my case they replaced the camera.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #38
Major Player

OK, I just got the problem again, for the first time in a while. It happened with I did a custom white balance (pushing the button on the front of the cam) just prior to shooting. I think the last time it happened I did the same thing. Other times I've just prior presets, for the most part.

The original SDHC card has long been reused so can't access that anymore.

Unfortunately this time it was on a less trivial gig. The only saving grace is that it was my B-CAM, my Sony EX1 being the A Cam. I'm seeing if I can load the clips back onto a SDHC card and see if the camera outputs the files over component correctly.

Anyway I'm going to update the firmware but since you don't know if it happened until you get it transferred from your computer there is no way to know when it's happened until it's too late. Not the best problem to have.

Has anybody else experienced this problem after the firmware update?

Last edited by Keith Moreau; October 27th, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Keith, I haven't used my JVC a lot since installing the update, so I can't comment just yet as to whether it addresses the problem. However I will very soon be going through footage which was shot after the firmware update, so I should have a pretty good idea of whether it solves the problem or not.
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #40
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
OK, I just got the problem again, for the first time in a while. It happened with I did a custom white balance (pushing the button on the front of the cam) just prior to shooting. I think the last time it happened I did the same thing. Other times I've just prior presets, for the most part.
Keith, have you considered sending the camera and the clip back to JVC? As you may be aware from my experience they replaced the camera.
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM   #41
Major Player

Hi Simon

I haven't, but I may. I sent a personal message to David Walton of JVC about what to do and he hasn't responded.

I may contact JVC, not sure exactly who to contact though in the U.S.

How long did it take JVC to get you a new one? And how long had you owned the HM100 before returning it?

Thanks.

-Keith
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #42
New Boot

Hi Keith,

I had only had the camera two weeks before I returned it to the shop. It took another 10 days for JVC to respond on other matters and then I pressed them (through the shop) on the interlacing issue. Once I had emailed an example clip to JVC UK the head of department agreed to replace it straight off. It then took maybe two to three days for the new camera to get to the shop for pick up.

I haven't been able to use it much since but a friend used it for two weeks on a shoot and I didn't see any interlacing issues on the footage he showed me. Needless to say that if I see interlacing again the camera will go back again.
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Firmware makes little difference

Well I can now conclude that the firmware update has not solved the problem, or maybe it "half" solves it, by making the problem less common.

I have been through hundreds of more recent clips that were shot after the firmware update, and I have encountered my first interlaced clip even though it was shot in 25p mode. Having said that, the problem does seem to be more rare now, though that could just be coincidence.
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #44
Major Player

Anthony,

What are you going to do about it? Are you going to try to get a replacement HM100 from JVC? I haven't looked over every single clip I've done with the HM100, but I'm hoping I'm 'lucky' like you.

So far my track record though isn't good though. Of dozens of sessions I've done, 2 have turned out with this problem, which are ones I've had to use in edits, one paying, one not.

That being said, if even 1 important clip has this problem, it's a pain to resolve it, though possible. I think I may have to get a AJA or Blackmagic HDMI input card to transfer these problem clips when they occur, and probably everybody shooting in Progressive should do the same. Maybe JVC should include one with every HM100?
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #45
Major Player

Got the interlaced problem even with 1.0.5

I shot some stuff yesterday, a little over an hour, fairly important stuff, and the interlaced problem was on about 3/4 of it. These were very high gain manual aperture. I'm thinking that's the trigger. The previous situations I've been in I believe I had adjusted the gain higher than 0 and was in manual exposure mode. I don't think I've ever experienced the problem in automatic exposure mode.

Those out there that had the problem and got your HM100 replaced, have you experienced it again? I'm about to send it back for a replacement. I'm pretty annoyed.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems