DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Problem replaying HM100 audio in Soundbooth CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/240262-problem-replaying-hm100-audio-soundbooth-cs4.html)

Colin Rowe August 3rd, 2009 04:07 PM

Problem replaying HM100 audio in Soundbooth CS4

I have just dropped a few mp4 clip from my HM100 into Soundbooth CS4. The clips import with no problem. The waveform is normal in parts, then it just maxes out filling the timeline with a rectangular block, all I get in these sections is the most horrendous hissing, crackling noise. then the waveform appears normal and plays back fine. There are several seemingly random blocks across the timeline, at these points all audio is lost, I just get awful noise. I have tried 4 clips. all with the same result. The same clips play back perfectely in Prem CS4, Vegas 9, Edius 5 and AVS audio editor. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks

Andy Urtusuastegui August 3rd, 2009 10:54 PM

I just tried two things:
1. In Soundbooth(2.0.1), I imported a 720 60p.mp4 clip into SB. It is only 1 minute, but no problems.

2. From within Premiere 4.1, did a "edit in soundbooth "extract Audio" on another mp4 clip and it opened and played fine in SB.

I am not sure what is going on. I have not modified my BPAV structure in any way.

Colin Rowe August 4th, 2009 06:41 AM

Hey Andy.
Thanks for trying that out. I have just tested some more. I got to thinking it could be the new Rode NTG2 that I have recently been using on the HM100, but no, the mic is fine. I just shot some 720 clips using various mic set ups, as listed below.
1. JVC mic, supplied with HM100. Connected to input 1 with input 1 selected (going to both channels)
2. Rode NTG2 connected to input 1 with input 1 selected
3. JVC mic connected to input 1, Rode NTG2 connected to input 2 with input 2 selected.
Tested using phantom power, and phantom and battery power with the NTG1
All with the same noisy results, but only in Sound Booth. All the clips open and play back fine in. Prem CS4, Vegas Pro 9, Edius 5 and AVS audio Editor
Got me beat.

Colin Rowe August 4th, 2009 07:21 AM

This is strange. I just opened some older MP4 clips in SB, and guess what, they played back fine. Then opened all the clips described in the above post, and hey, they appear normal on the timeline and play back as they should. Seems something is amiss with my SB installation. Think I will try a reinstall to see if that will clear up the problem.

Anthony Shera August 7th, 2009 06:32 AM

Colin, it's not your Soundbooth installation.

I just experienced the same issue in Adobe Premiere Pro AND in Soundbooth, importing the file into each program separately. I've been happily playing just about all my video clips in Premiere with no issues at all, then suddenly this one clip had dreadful hissing and crackling at a very high volume. The audio waveform confirms this. Only parts of the clip have this problem. I checked the same clip on a totally different computer where I previously backed up a copy of the same file. The SAME problem occurs, so I know it's not the computer, nor is it Premiere or Soundbooth as it occurs in both those programs as I said before. Oddly, I can play this same clip with no issues at all in the JVC Clip Manager. So something is happening during the importing process. It must be an Adobe problem.

To resolve the issue, I had to re-encode the audio using VLC. Importing the re-encoded file into Premiere Pro works successfully.

So far all the clips that this problem has occurred with were recorded in 720p50 SP mode. I think it has something to do with the compression, though why the bad audio only manifests in Adobe programs is a total mystery to me.

Colin Rowe August 7th, 2009 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=Anthony Shera;1191858]Colin, it's not your Soundbooth installation.

Your symtoms are identical to mine Anthony. I do think in my case it is a Soundbooth problem. All the affected clips play back perfectly normally in Premiere, Vegas 9, Edius 5, Clip Browser and AVS sound editor. Its only in Soundbooth that the problem shows. Just to add fuel to the problem, I just shot some 1080i footage, I normally shoot 720. The 1080i clips load and playback in Soundbooth with no problem. In my case it is the 720 and 1920 clips that Soundbooth has the problems with. But as I say these same clips load and play back perfectly in all the other programs. I am going to do some further tests today. I dont see it as a camera problem, If it was then the clips would display the same fault in any program. Definately a SoundBooth issue. Will report back with findings.

Brian Rhodes August 7th, 2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Shera (Post 1191858)
Colin, it's not your Soundbooth installation.

I just experienced the same issue in Adobe Premiere Pro AND in Soundbooth, importing the file into each program separately. I've been happily playing just about all my video clips in Premiere with no issues at all, then suddenly this one clip had dreadful hissing and crackling at a very high volume. The audio waveform confirms this. Only parts of the clip have this problem. I checked the same clip on a totally different computer where I previously backed up a copy of the same file. The SAME problem occurs, so I know it's not the computer, nor is it Premiere or Soundbooth as it occurs in both those programs as I said before. Oddly, I can play this same clip with no issues at all in the JVC Clip Manager. So something is happening during the importing process. It must be an Adobe problem.

To resolve the issue, I had to re-encode the audio using VLC. Importing the re-encoded file into Premiere Pro works successfully.

So far all the clips that this problem has occurred with were recorded in 720p50 mode.

I had the same issue with my EX1 60p footage I thought Sony had fix the problem in Sony Vegas 8c.. Shot a wedding last week and I had the same issue. imported the footage with cineform fixed the problemed audio.

Anthony Shera August 7th, 2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1192077)

Your symtoms are identical to mine Anthony. I do think in my case it is a Soundbooth problem. All the affected clips play back perfectly normally in Premiere, Vegas 9, Edius 5, Clip Browser and AVS sound editor. Its only in Soundbooth that the problem shows. Just to add fuel to the problem, I just shot some 1080i footage, I normally shoot 720. The 1080i clips load and playback in Soundbooth with no problem. In my case it is the 720 and 1920 clips that Soundbooth has the problems with. But as I say these same clips load and play back perfectly in all the other programs. I am going to do some further tests today. I dont see it as a camera problem, If it was then the clips would display the same fault in any program. Definately a SoundBooth issue. Will report back with findings.

I''m using CS4. Are you using the same? It appears, at least in my case, that the problem only manifests in 720p SP (compressed quality) footage. I rarely use this setting, though I wanted to see the quality output. (Visually, 720 SP mode seems very acceptable for scenes that don't involve a lot of detail.)

In my previous post, I contradicted myself when I said that it is not a Soundbooth or Premiere issue, and then later I said it's an Adobe problem. I'll correct that by saying it must be a Soundbooth AND a Premiere problem, at least in my situation. I don't know why you can play back your files with no issue in Premiere but not in Soundbooth.

Colin Rowe August 8th, 2009 04:25 AM

Hi Anthony, yes I use Prem CS4. The Soundbooth problem is a strange one. It seems now that not all clips are effected, its got me beat!!!!

Hans-Juergen Goetz August 11th, 2009 12:59 PM

Hi guys,
I have the very same problem, while importing and playing in Premiere CS4.
In my case, it seems to independent of the resolution setting, even 1080iSP shows
the same problems, regardless of MIC configuration being used.

But is is only happening when recording in the MP format, when I try using the MOV format I don't have that problem at all.

One more thought, on which OS platform is this happening ?
I'm running Adobe Premiere CS4 on MAC OS 10.5.8, perhaps this is somehow depended
on the codec implementation in regards to the underlaying OS ?

For the moment my solution to get around this problem is to convert my MP4s before importing, using this tool http://www.mik-digital.de/tool/MP4toMPGv3.exe .

Hans

Kevin Mooney April 2nd, 2010 11:09 AM

Same Problem

Hello All, I have the same problem the mp4 files from my JVC GY-HM100 (720 25fps) in PP CS4 this started on my previous computer so I built a monster (i7 950 6 gb ram 3 1tb hdd high spec video card win 7 64 bit etc etc ) it was fine at first but it came back and then became much worse when I updated PP CS4 , now previously good projects exibit this problem. I have to record the audio in real time into my computer import the file into PP CS4 and marry them up . has anyone got to the bottom of this yet ? as I have spent a lot of money on a system that is virtually useless !!!

Kevin Mooney April 3rd, 2010 04:35 AM

Thanks

Thanks Hans, your little programme has done the trick I trans coded some previously bad files with it and they are now perfect . All we need now is for JVC and Adobe to get their heads together and come up with a solution !!!

Colin Rowe April 4th, 2010 09:00 AM

Beware of that utility, I just downloaded it and AVG threw up a virus warning, and put it in the vault

Kevin Mooney April 4th, 2010 11:03 AM

Bad Sound

I scanned it with Norton 360 and have used it without problems

Kevin Mooney April 4th, 2010 11:08 AM

Again

Sorry I forgot to mention I have put in a bug report to both Adobe and JVC as this situation is not acceptable, I will report back if I get an answer !!!