DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Question about Detail V/H balance and onboard mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/372985-question-about-detail-v-h-balance-onboard-mic.html)

Kajito Nagib September 7th, 2009 11:36 PM

Question about Detail V/H balance and onboard mic

Can someone explain what the detail V/H balance is for or better yet under what situation
would I consider tweaking V/H? I didn't see it explained in the HM100 shooter's guide.
Also is it possible to use the built-in mic with the audio unit cable connected
to the audio in terminal? I noticed that I can't get any sound with the built-in mic unless
I disconnect it from the audio in.

thanks,

Tim Dashwood September 8th, 2009 01:28 AM

It's explained in the "Complete Guide to ProHD" Volume 1 (and pending Volume 2.)

I've the detail section available for free right here on DV Info, but you may have missed it because it is labeled as HD100/HD200 specific. The detail controls work the same way on the HM-series cameras. Here's the tutorial. Detail Tutorial

In a nutshell the V/H detail controls let you apply detail on a specific axis more than the other. This can help in a situation with a pin-striped shirt where you want detail but you have a moire pattern. Adjusting the vertical frequency can reduce the detail enough to possibly eliminate the moire, yet maintain the desired detail in the rest of the image.

It's generally one of those controls you would just leave at its default settings.

Tracy Foust September 8th, 2009 08:09 AM

Audio problem

I ran into this when I first opened the HM100 , charged and shot. The problem ( not really) is that the shotgun mic that comes with the HM 100 is a condenser microphone and requires phantom power. This is delivered through the handle attachment. If you do not use the handle attachment, that mic has to be powered from another source. If the internal mic is also a condenser ( good chance of that) the unit will not power all 3 mics (stereo right and left and the shotgun). So, (finally!) the circuit is normaled to the internal microphones, and when the handle is attached, the circuit powers the unit in the handle and disables the internal mics.
What I have done is unplugged the handle mic in favor of a BeachTech XLR 2. The unit fits between the camera and the tripod. The volume controls are much reasier to use, I can lift a ground signal if I have to, I have mini aux in on both channels and I can choose a mic or line level when taking an audio feed. If I have to go off tripod, it takes about 8 seconds to disconnect, pull the camera from the sticks and re-plug the shotgun. Or just go with the internal mics

Robert Rogoz September 8th, 2009 09:56 AM

Tracy, the only thing is you loose uncompressed sound. Some folks will not care, however this is one of the best features of this camera.

Kajito Nagib September 8th, 2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 1326195)
It's explained in the "Complete Guide to ProHD" Volume 1 (and pending Volume 2.)

It's generally one of those controls you would just leave at its default settings.

ok I'll have a look at it thanks.

Kajito Nagib September 8th, 2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Foust (Post 1327297)
So, (finally!) the circuit is normaled to the internal microphones, and when the handle is attached, the circuit powers the unit in the handle and disables the internal mics.

I already have a rode mic but in some situation I use the built in mic. I know it's not a big
deal but for some reason it bothers me to see the audio cable not connected to anything
and just hanging loose heh. I could just remove the handle, thanks.