Circular polarizer for HM-100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Circular polarizer for HM-100?

Can anyone recommend a good circular polarizer that will definitely fit onto the 72mm hood ring of the HM-100?

I fancy the slim Nikon Filter II, but can't tell if it will be too wide.
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm pretty sure most Circular Polarizers will fit. I have a not-so slim B+W Cir Pol MRC. The problem is getting any circular polarizer on and off. There isn't a lot of extra room to grab onto the little knurled base part of the filter. Getting it off is harder than getting it on, especially if you've managed to screw it in fairly tight. Let us know how that process works for you when you get one.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Keith, you can place a filter on actual sun shade. Just remember to take it off, so it doesn't scratch when you place your camera in the bag. The diameter of the filter is 72 mm.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Robert, that's what I'm talking about because that's what Paul asked about, the 72mm filter mount. I can and do use a 72mm filter on the front shade filter mount.

It's just hard to take it off because there is just a tiny knurled portion that is flat against the shade. If you try to unscrew it from the front the rotating front element just turns.

You really have to use the edge of your fingernails to get some traction on the narrow element flat against the shade. Do you have any tricks to removing it quickly?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Major Player

"Do you have any tricks to removing it quickly?"
Yes, swiss army knife ;) I am serious. I am thinking purchasing this crappy matte box, taking the sun shade off. This matte box would allow me to use Cokin filters, so it would solve the filter issue once and for all.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Here is the one I use..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shapiro View Post
Can anyone recommend a good circular polarizer that will definitely fit onto the 72mm hood ring of the HM-100?

I fancy the slim Nikon Filter II, but can't tell if it will be too wide.
The warming effect works wonders with the HM100 White balance.

Hoya MOOSE'S Filter Warm Circular Polarizer 72mm
Hoya MOOSE'S Filter Warm Circular Polarizer 72mm 72 NEW - eBay (item 360219697140 end time Jan-19-10 22:24:33 PST)
David Bankston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems