Advise on how to white balance with the HM100 at Night at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Advise on how to white balance with the HM100 at Night

I'm going to film the Halloween parade here in NYC this weekend and wanted some advice on how I should white balance. The event will be at night I will be standing in an area (next to the photographers and videographers) that's very well lit so I won't be using any onboard lights.
I will be using my JVC wide angle lens along with the Merlin.
Not sure which of the two presents I should use or if I should white balance. I'd like to figure
this out before i get there.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated it.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For night shooting, unless you are under specific lighting conditions, putting the camera on 3200k preset will work the best since, at night, the lights of the city are of many colors. I've found that 3200k present is the best balance to bring out all of those colors. White-balance for any one of them will throw off all the rest you may encounter.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com
Donald Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would have to agree with Don, 3200k preset will be best. The only variations to this I can think of is (here in the UK) there are those yellow sodium discharge street lamps so I'll pop it down to 2300 and use orange filter on the toplight, or in areas lit by flourescent lighting, like spill from store lights, they tend to be a bit on the blue side, so I keep a 'half-blue' memory setting of about 4300k to warm things up a bit.

Go 3200 for the parade :-)
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Major Player

ok thanks will do.
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #5
Major Player

rainy parade

ok so i took your advise and set it to 3200 preset. On board camera light was the Switronix TL-50 I had it on all the time but I stayed in an area that was well lit so it wasn't really needed. It started to pour when I pulled out the camera. My camera and the JVC wide angle lens got soaked. 15 minutes later the rain finally stop but at that point it was too late I had a hard time drying off the lens. Here's the video.

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Major Player

I love the shots, but they all have a green cast. Probably due to a nearby light that was inconsistant with most city lights. If you have time I would suggest to color correct. The good news is, it looks pretty consistant.

Something I've been thinking about recently and noted that more and more directors, such as Michale Mann's last few movies are using daylight white balance for night shots. His feeling was the reds and oranges of city lights give night shots that magical color we associate with night, and in the case of Halloween especially, the orange autum colors that you would have gotten might have been better. Come to think about it, this time of year day light white balance is around4,300k instead of 5,500k (150 miles north of San Francisco anyway at 3:00pm consitantly)

On the positive side, if you wanted to clean up the green cast (on my monitor at least) or go a little orange, you have plenty of leeway with this footage without too much work. So for getting footage you can play with the 3200k was a good choice.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Major Player

hmm, just reread. you had an onboard light on all the time? I bet that was what is giving you the green cast. OK, no more posting for me until AFTER coffee!
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Major Player

i tried to color correct using magic bullet looks but rendering stops half way I got impatient and uploaded the video.
thanks for the advice and yeah i didn't really notice the green cast thanks for pointing that out to me i'll fix it and upload the video at some point.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems