Considering the HM100 for high motion footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Considering the HM100 for high motion footage

Hi Guys, I'm close to purchasing this camera (GY-HM100) for shooting high motion footage where the camera will be subjected to jerking and shaking from the back if a Jetski on the ocean. I also process most of the footage with software stabilizer Prodad Mercalli.

I use mainly full auto mode, the cam will be in a waterproof housing and used mostly in good light.

My reasons for considering this cam are ...

1. CCD (no rolling shutter issues)
2. Removable handle, small form factor.
3. High performance codec.
4. No moving parts (SD cards)
5. Good range of Formats and 60/50fps progressive

Anyone have any comments on suitability or anything i have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

One final question ... how is the O.I.S on this Cam?

Cheers Ian
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ian.
I have been using my HM100 since May, The camera does have some basic design flaws, nothing you wont be able to live with. The zoom control, rocker or ring is not very controllable, the LCD is c**p, and the OIS could do with a lot of work. Having said that, I love the camera. The images it produces are amazing, and the workflow, awesome. I tend to engage the ND on all outside work, and compensate exposure by -2 in brighter conditions. When using in manual, you may find the controls on the back of the cam a little strange, but once you adapt and get used to them it all comes as second nature.
Hope this helps.
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Ian , I shot some bike footage, and you will need to use 720/60p. However the camera doesn't have 1/120 shutter. Manual controls are funky and zoom is not workable.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes, for your use the camera sounds perfect.

The camera does a very good job in auto mode. You may need to use the compensation control as described above. You may want a neutral density filter on it as well depending on how bright the water is.

The camera is small and light. May have to protect buttons so they don't get accidentally pushed when bouncing around. I don't know if the camera will fall apart if shook around, but there isn't much moving, so should be okay. However, somebody may have experience with that.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Colin, Robert and Jack. The cam will be in housing so no chance buttons being knocked, also i believe the body of the JVC is metal so should be solid.

I would consider a basic CCD camera used in auto mode, but not many choices in the flash card format in older or S/H cameras, so might have to bite the bullet on cost factor and take a lot of care with it. These are paying jobs so the quality needs to be at a high standard (definitely no jello wobble)

Anyone else with suggestions or used the camera in high motion situations?

Cheers

Last edited by Ian Newland; November 6th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Ian, I just shot some mountain bike footage for local store. The best results are 720/60p or 1080/60i. I think particularly 24 (much worst in 1080 then 720) looks like crap. OIS is so-so, but with steady hand you can get decent shots. I still want EX1 or EX3, but no budget for it at the moment.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

Depending on the type of vibration and bouncing -- OIS may not be ideal. Handholding the waterproof box may be better.

Also, shooting 1920x1080 and using s/w stabilization with a final 1280x720 frame might work.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Steve, thanks for he suggestion, could you explain why the 1920 x 1080 - 1280 x 720 software stabilization downsize would work, i'm having trouble following that? Thanks.

Ian
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Ian, one thing you'll have to look at is the software- Prodad Mercalli. I looked at it and it doesn't support XDCAM coodec, so you'll have to transcode it.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems