Lifespan of SDHC cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Tourist

Lifespan of SDHC cards

I so much want to buy the GY-HM100 but so afraid of the SDHC being overtaken by upcoming SDXC media and render the GY-HM100 obsolete. Am I being silly?
Satria Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would not worry at all. SDHC cards are cheap and have hours of capacity. Waiting for future developments will keep you waiting for the rest of your life. If you are happy with the quality of the camera as it is now, buy it and enjoy every recording you make with it.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satria Asia View Post
I so much want to buy the GY-HM100 but so afraid of the SDHC being overtaken by upcoming SDXC media and render the GY-HM100 obsolete. Am I being silly?
If you want an HM100, there is no reason not to buy it because of the cards.

SDHC cards will continue to be made for existing devices such as millions and millions of still cameras and some video cameras.

SDHC cards will work in new SDXC devices, so you don't have to throw away old cards if SDHC is fast enough for your use.

SDHC is fast enough for the HM100, so SDXC offers no advantage even if a new model of camera were introduced to allow SDXC use--unless a new codec requiring higher data rates were added, but that would likely require a significant upgrade in computer for editing, etc. (SDXC increase in transfer rate to the computer is not that necessary for most. SDHC could offer many more hours recording, good maybe for leaving the camera unattended, but not that helpful for most.)

SDXC is no reason to wait. Its possible JVC might not use SDXC in a revised HM1xx anyway.

If size and the great auto mode of the HM100 is what you want, no reason to wait.

If you need pro manual features and don't like other drawbacks of the HM100, you could wait for an upgraded camera model, but I think that's not the best idea if you want to shoot video now. And a new model could introduce as many problems as fixes, depending on your specific needs.

Now if you wait, it is likely there will be more cameras to choose from, such as something great from Canon. However, its likely not to have the features (size, codec) you want that make the HM100 appealing now.

Doubtless there will be a truly pro camera down the road to knock the HM100 off the fridge, but everything else will be changing, too.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes I think I shall buy the HM 100 ... The Canon XH A1 I'm lugging now seems to be getting heavier and heavier ... :-)
Satria Asia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems