DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Weird "Media Error" on HM100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/468819-weird-media-error-hm100.html)

Robert Rogoz December 2nd, 2009 10:07 PM

Weird "Media Error" on HM100

I was in a middle of recording a scene and HM100 quit recording. I saw a "media error" message. I pulled the card out and placed it back in the slot. The camera asked me to restore media (no I did not reformat the card in the meantime). Looks like the clip is there, until the camera shut off the recording. I looked at the manual, but if there was a card failure why did it restore the shot without reformatting it? I was using Sandisc Extreme III 16GB class 6.
Any explanations are welcomed.

Alan Halfhill December 2nd, 2009 10:59 PM

Error

Was the card formatted in the camera? I have found that it has to be formatted in the camera. I have on seen this error on cheap Adata 16gig cards shooting 35mps.
Shooting 19 mps has not caused the error after I reformatted the card.

alan

Robert Rogoz December 2nd, 2009 11:58 PM

Alan- yes, the card was formated in the camera last night. I already had about 30 minutes of ski footage from today. I was shooting form inside of the car, as the recording simply quit. I took the card out, I inserted it back and the camera asked me to restore media. So all the clips are there, but I just wanted to see why did it quit recording in a middle of the shot?
I had a card fail on me before, but this was a card issue (ended up replacing it), but this looks like camera quit writing onto the card and shut off the recording. Like I said I reformatted the card last night (in camera), used it throughout the day. And no, it wasn't a cheap card, but Sandisc, which is supposed to have low failure rate.

Eric Deyerler December 3rd, 2009 06:53 AM

I know this error on sdhc cards build in Taiwan (like Verbatim, Transcend, etc.),
but the Chinese SDHC from Transcend works fine,
like the good one from Panasonic 10x Goldseries.

On a shot with a 16GB Transcend - a error
occur during recording and the card dies
from one moment to the other, I lost
all the videofiles, no possibility to read it out.

Robert Rogoz December 3rd, 2009 10:21 AM

I'll say one more time. It was a legit Sandisc bought off reputable seller. The card works now, I recorded a clip last night. The clips from yesterday are on my HDD by now, but the camera simply quit in a middle of the shot- media error message.

Alan Halfhill December 3rd, 2009 02:16 PM

Bad Card?

Sounds like a bad card to me.

I do long recordings (lectures) and have not had a problem with Patriot memory or Transend. I just bought SanDisk cards and will have to try them out.

I suggest you try to record to the card is full just letting the camera sit. Try it a few times to see if the card will fail again.

Alan

Robert Rogoz December 3rd, 2009 03:36 PM

no, not a bad card

Alan, this is not the case- the card is fine. I tested it and it works, somehow my camera stopped recording in a middle of the shot. I recorded about 20 minutes this morning onto the same card and it works just fine.

Robert Rogoz December 4th, 2009 09:39 PM

OK, I filled up the card with the footage of my cat, I run the camera for 35 minutes on the same card and now it is recording fine. I am just curious if anyone else had this experience and if JVC is aware of such issue on another camera?

Alan Halfhill December 6th, 2009 09:58 PM

Reformat

I had a card that after a reformat behaved better. Have not had a problem since. With the card or the camera.

Alan