JVC HM100 Short Content for Travel Channel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old February 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC HM100 Short Content for Travel Channel

Here is a short 10 minute video on Teotihucan City Myan Ruins - Mexico.
No Tripod allowed. Had to hold camera steady at 7000 feet above sea level with hard walking pace - (used Final cut smooth cam to assist in post).

City is also in the "smog cloud" of one of the most polluted cities on earth. - Video quality hampered by smog. Had to use Final Cut "Color" to adjust the contract to make footage usable. The camera did excellent for the harsh environment.
Sound created and mixed in LOGIC.

David Bankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice clip and very nicely done!
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Does this camera feature image stabilization?

Also, I love the music. Where is it from?
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

First off, nice job on the video. I love this camera for situations just like yours...when you can't use a full-size or tripod. We have a 100 and two 700's and have cut the footage together on several occasions when the larger cameras were too big or obtrusive to work. And with a little tweaking in FCP, they can match pretty well.
Lou Caputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McQuiston View Post

Hi John, yes it does. Just got my cam and will try this feature over the weekend. Mike
Michael Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McQuiston View Post

Hey John, I made the music myself in LOGIC 8. About 15 tracks of sounds and loops arranged. Thanks for the complement.

David
David Bankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Major Player

david-

nice job, please take a bow, you've earned it.

the size of the jvc is appealing as is the .mov it produces.

on the exterior location sots, the images were good though my viewing experience may have been limited by the smog you alluded to along with me watching on an older imac via a slowish dsl connection.

what has been your experience with the hm100 indoors? how much light do those three 1/4" chips need? and when you find yourself needing more light, how noisy is the gain?

other reviews about this camera has been about the limited focus features due to the lack of "pro" manual controls. were you limited by these omissions in your use of the camera? was the flip-out lcd an accurate reflection of color or on location did you wish for an external monitor for anything other than framing?

lastly, since what was posted was all shot mos, how are the pre-amps in the jvc? it has dual xlrs if i remember but are the audio controls wonky?

any and all info u care to share about your hands-on experience with the lil' jvc will be greatly appreciated. too often reviews seem to loom larger than the experiences of those who actually work and create with these tools. i'm interested in your thoughts.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8
New Boot

Answers Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Katz View Post
david-

nice job, please take a bow, you've earned it.

the size of the jvc is appealing as is the .mov it produces.

on the exterior location sots, the images were good though my viewing experience may have been limited by the smog you alluded to along with me watching on an older imac via a slowish dsl connection.
(The smog was incredibly bad! - The JVC was a trooper. Also used "color" to correct some of the wide shots)

what has been your experience with the hm100 indoors? how much light do those three 1/4" chips need? and when you find yourself needing more light, how noisy is the gain?

(Indoor footage is great under most conditions. I point you to this link for an excellent representation of night time quality. Kelly Oneil on Vimeo )

other reviews about this camera has been about the limited focus features due to the lack of "pro" manual controls. were you limited by these omissions in your use of the camera?

(The camera works well in auto for much of this run and gun style. Its important to know that the menus are quite fiddly and so if you don't have good practice with them, getting a special look can be challenging.)

was the flip-out lcd an accurate reflection of color or on location did you wish for an external monitor for anything other than framing?

(The Flip out LCD was dead on. Bright and easy to use.)

lastly, since what was posted was all shot mos, how are the pre-amps in the jvc? it has dual xlrs if i remember but are the audio controls wonky?

(Audio controls are a peice of cake to use. for the XLR mic, I use the RODE-NTG2. Excellent sound and it fits the on board mic cradle perfectly! The Video controls are wonky.
Using XLR mics, results in very clean 48K audio. Pre-amps are not great but very good and suitable for most video work this camera is targeted for.)

any and all info u care to share about your hands-on experience with the lil' jvc will be greatly appreciated. too often reviews seem to loom larger than the experiences of those who actually work and create with these tools. i'm interested in your thoughts.

(The camera is of course a one of a kind creation. Hence the high price tag. I would have been more comfortable at a price of $2700 (Which is the new low price today). - BUT considering the options available - there is no competition. Its consumer look and size lets you get away with capturiing video posing as a consumer. - but you know different with a smile.)

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Sorry for the delay in responding!.
David
David Bankston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems