New stabilizer:SturdyShots:Need advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New stabilizer:SturdyShots:Need advice

I had a little disposable income and bought the SturdyCam stabilizer from Jaco ( Italy). I was sold by the shots he put up on Youtube and the price. Now the problem_ I am having the devil's own time trying to get this balanced and set with my HM100. Has anyone else taken the plunge with this stabilizer? I am not the most mechanically savvy person and I am probably doing something dumb in the initial set up. The problem is that the camera swings when ever I move it and takes forever to come to rest. Any advice would be geartly appreciated.
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Did his stabilisation video not help? YouTube - The SturdyCam - Fast Balancing

Does he has a website? I could find his video back on youtube but no website with how much is cost.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Adjustment procedure

This is not the best forum for this question, but here is a quick answer. You must install a bubble level on your camera. I usually install it into the hot shoe because it is level with the camera base. Find the center of gravity for the camera by rolling the base over a pencil and seeing where it sort of balances. Install the camera into the rig aligning the center of gravity position with the center point of the rig.

With the bubble level installed place the rig into a device to hold it. The video shows the device the tech is using, but usually a piece of pipe clamped to the table or into a vice will do. The rig must be free to swing in both axis. You cannot balance it in your hand, it's too unstable.

Adjust the weights to achieve side and forward center position - bubble in the middle. This is the preliminary adjustment. Add weight to the bottom to achieve the swing speed shown from level to vertical, usually 2-3 seconds. For more stability (but less damping) add more weight - this takes some adjustment. Make your final adjustment for level with the weights added.

That's it.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Did his stabilisation video not help? YouTube - The SturdyCam - Fast Balancing

Does he has a website? I could find his video back on youtube but no website with how much is cost.
Sturdy Shots: Home
It works with the small camera but as of yet, not the larger one.
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems