DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   1st use of my JVC HM100 yesterday (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/475711-1st-use-my-jvc-hm100-yesterday.html)

Michael Mackay March 27th, 2010 12:25 PM

1st use of my JVC HM100 yesterday

After a lot of research on these forums I finally got a JVC HM100 and used it the first time last night to record an amateur drama group. Here are my first observations:

The cam is very nice to operate and setup. Everything seems quite straight forward and easy. The quality of the captured images - even though there were some low-light shots - is very good.

Really do miss a LANC connection though. I had to record the whole performance so the odd zoom was needed and I resorted to using the remote control held in front of the unit but the zoom is very severe and hardly smooth. The lack of LANC seems a major oversight.

As for audio, and based on the reviews here, I purchased an AT875R and the quality is great. It fits the standard mount without issue and I have not noticed any handling noise at all. I guess I wouldn't though as it was on a tripod and I was using the remote control!

For channel 2 I used a Sennheiser ME66/K6 with a G2 wireless link with the mic on a tripod. This captured some great audio but the AT was also very good that I am having trouble in deciding which one to go with (don't want to spend too much time mixing).

As for taking the files off and adding to my Mac this was so easy compared to tape. Certainly glad I made the move. Even more so when the first act went to 1hour and 6 mins and the cam just kept going (on battery too) whereas my HDV would have run out 3 mins or so earlier! In fact battery use - considering it was powering the AT mic as well - was very good. I got 1hour 9 mins of recording, lots of set up and there was still a bit left at the end.

So, in summary, I am 90% happy with the purchase - the lack of the LANC is a huge loss. I will have to live with it but if you do need this option then best look elsewhere.

Mike

Lee Mullen December 20th, 2010 04:04 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review.

They still seem to be an expensive camera even second-hand. Are they really worth the $2000 or so?

I have a JVC HD7, which is the nearest to it. Nice image with juddery on panning.

Lee

Paul R Johnson December 20th, 2010 05:22 AM

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...e-control.html
Seems the simplest fix is a bodge up fibre cable and use the supplied remote. Sounds very Heath Robinson, but the topic suggests it works ok.

Kevin Mooney December 20th, 2010 10:38 AM

Am I missing something here ? I have had a HM100 for over a year and mainly record shows, the remote control is still in the box as I can't understand when you would use one except for recording yourself which I never do. I never leave my camera unattended because when you zoom you usually have to pan or tilt at the same time so a lanc connection wouldn't be any use ( that's if I understand what a lanc does) With practise you can do perfectly smooth slow zooms using the rocker on top. When I researched what to buy I couldn't find anything that got near at the price.

Mike Beckett December 21st, 2010 02:19 PM

Lack of Lanc was the major reason why I plumped for the Panasonic HMC41 instead of the JVC HM100. I alway use a camcorder two-handed on a tripod - left hand for the focus ring/other controls, right hand on the pan bar for zoom. I just don't like rocker zooms when on a tripod. Zooms of course aren't to be overdone, but I always find I can get a much smoother result from the Lanc. All down to personal preference/skill, I guess.

It does mean that I've ended up with something that looks like it's from 1987, but at least I have a Lanc...!

Kevin Mooney December 22nd, 2010 04:32 AM

Hello, perhaps you would take the time explain exactly what Lanc is I've always assumed it is a sort of remote control

Mike Beckett December 22nd, 2010 08:32 AM

Sure -

Lanc is a wired remote control that gives control of zoom, record start/stop and sometimes other functions like focus.

I personally use this: Creative Video - Libec ZC-3DV (ZC3DV) zoom controller for Sony / Canon LANC camcorders PLUS Panasonic

It makes it easier to zoom in smoothly, you can rock the zoom from left to right, and vary the pressure on the knob to speed up or slow down the zoom. It also reduces the risk of shaking the camera by fumbling round for buttons on the camera body (though of course you can still jiggle the tripod if you're not careful).

It is much easier and much more controllable (in my experience) than using an infra-red remote. It is more ergonomic and more natural to use than a TV-style infra-red remote as well. Your hand rests on the tripod pan handle and your thumb can easily rest on the zoom.

You don't really need it, as you can use the camera zoom rocker. I just find it easier to use the Lanc zoom control.

Kevin Mooney December 22nd, 2010 05:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain

Kaushik Parmar December 22nd, 2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Mooney (Post 1600373)
Am I missing something here ? I have had a HM100 for over a year and mainly record shows, the remote control is still in the box as I can't understand when you would use one except for recording yourself which I never do. I never leave my camera unattended because when you zoom you usually have to pan or tilt at the same time so a lanc connection wouldn't be any use ( that's if I understand what a lanc does) With practise you can do perfectly smooth slow zooms using the rocker on top. When I researched what to buy I couldn't find anything that got near at the price.

Remote is very important tool, yes self recording is one use, but it helps us to see footage while connecting camera with any kind of TV, you can sit away and enjoy your captured footage you can change next clip, fast forward, rewinding anything! If you do not have remote then you will be sitting nearby your camera and its uncomfortable.

And yes, start and stop of recording will be very smooth if you use remote when you are sure you are not going to use zoom and pan. In some condition zoom is very smooth by using remote.

Remote is must.

Lee Mullen December 23rd, 2010 06:11 AM

Manfrotto 522 is compatible I've heard?