How is auto focus on the HM100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old April 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

How is auto focus on the HM100?

I recently purchased a refub HM100 and am trying to figure out the auto focus on these cameras is just plain awful or if my particular camera is bad. When set to full auto or even manual with white balancing setting exposure etc and with AF enabled the camera is on the hunt constantly and will not really focus correctly on anything. Available light does not seem to make any difference as this occurs in daylight and indoors with good lighting. When it does get some kind of focus it's very soft. It's worse than any consumer model I have tried including HV20 /30 and even cheaper low end cameras beat the HM100 auto focus function.

This was bought as a B-Roll camera to complement a HD200, I never run auto or AF on any camera myself (ever) but sometimes I will need other non camera folks to be able to use this camera in certain fast paced situations. Any insight would be appreciated!
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sounds like that bit was not refurbished very well :-)
My AF does sometimes annoy, but mostly for focussing on something I didn't want it to (like the grass rather than the animal behind the grass) my fault not the AF. The only hunting I have experienced was when being bathed in dust by a passing rally car, again I can't blame the AF for this, as I couldn't see a damn thing either.

Charles
Charles Wannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback Charles, it sounds like the refurb was probably not a great idea although it came from a Authorized JVC dealer with 1 year warranty. Will have to be sent back for repair.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Another issue I noticed today, I have made sure Tele Macro is off, but the indicator image which I believe should show on the LCD under [M] for manual focus does not show either when in tele marcro mode or not. It makes no difference if I am in manual or auto or if I assign Tele macro to a user button or change in the menu, I still cant get the indicator to display on the LCD.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems